2017 NBA Draft

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Not surprisingly the backtracking has begun. :shakehead

from cbssports.com:

LaVar Ball, the father of former UCLA star Lonzo Ball, is back in the news again after controversial comments made on Thursday taking an apparent shot at the speed of white athletes, telling The Orange County Register, “You can’t win no championship with three white guys because the foot speed is too slow.â€

Given the opportunity to clarify his stance, he doubled down on CBS Sports Radio’s Tiki and Tierney and explained why he felt that way. He wasn’t shy about it, either. I mean, is he ever shy?

“I’m just stating a fact,†Ball said. “Here’s the thing. People keep thinking that I blame the white guys. No, no. Every time we lose, I only blame one person – and that’s my son. That’s my son. I don’t blame anybody (else). But I said prove me wrong that you can’t win nowadays with three white guys on the floor at the same time. I’m not saying I don’t like white people and white people can’t win or nothing like that. I’m just saying when you have more athleticism (on the floor), it’s kind of hard when you don’t have the foot speed. That’s just a realistic fact.â€

Ball said his comments weren’t “racial†in nature.

“It’s not racial,†Ball said. “I can’t be racial. Some people just take it the wrong way and that’s OK – because that’s how the media (is). They try to twist it around because it’s more interesting when (they) say ‘LaVar is racist.’ Like I said, I stated my opinion of what I thought. The foot speed is just too slow to catch up with all the athleticism on the court.â€

Full story here: http://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...nt-win-title-due-to-white-players-not-racial/

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
Lavar Ball should just learn to shut the hell up. Poor kid already has all the spotlights pointing towards him, now he has to deal with his dad's garbage on a daily basis.

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
Maybe there comes a day when "Ball" learns to shut his mouth, but i find it very unlikely to happen.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Have you guys heard of this Luka Doncic kid? He's very impressive. He plays for Real Madrid and will be eligible for the 2018 draft. I just recently started reading up on him and watching highlights because people have been hyping him up as the potential 1st overall pick next year.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Have you guys heard of this Luka Doncic kid? He's very impressive. He plays for Real Madrid and will be eligible for the 2018 draft. I just recently started reading up on him and watching highlights because people have been hyping him up as the potential 1st overall pick next year.

Great talent. Will be #1 contender for sure.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC

Great talent. Will be #1 contender for sure.

Possible future Boston Celtic. Thank you Billy King.....thank you very much. :handclap:

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
I keep running the draft simulator, and boy could Philly hit the lottery this year. Say they get two top 5 picks, they can draft an elite SF and PG and be set for the next decade in terms of talent.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
They don't, but there are three elite SF prospects. Simmons is pretty versatile, the are a couple of lineup options they could work with. Markannen is another option.

Brown intends to try Simmons at PG, I'm skeptical but if it works then they probably need a starting SF. Personally I think I'd prefer that they just get the one pick this year, then use the Lakers pick next year (when it is unprotected) to try and get Doncic.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...-armour-adidas-not-interested-deal-lonzo-ball

An endorsement deal with Nike, Under Armour or Adidas is not in the cards for Lonzo Ball.

Ball's father, LaVar, confirmed that the three shoe and apparel companies informed him they were not interested in completing a deal with his son. Sources with the three companies told ESPN.com that they indeed were moving on.

Never in the history of modern-day shoe endorsements have the big companies all stepped away from a potential top pick nearly two months before the NBA draft. But LaVar, who has been representing Lonzo in the deal, has offered something that has no precedent.

In his meetings with all three companies, LaVar insisted that they license his upstart Big Baller Brand from him, according to the companies. He also showed the companies a shoe prototype that he hoped would be Lonzo's first shoe.

Actually feel bad for Lonzo. His dad pretty much just screwed him out of multi millions because he wants his stupid brand to become something big. LaVar is the definition of living vicariously.

While a guy like Eric Lindros had his parents meddle in his professional affairs, they did a lot of good for him managing his money and making sure he did things right. LaVar is just hurting his son at this point.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Brown intends to try Simmons at PG, I'm skeptical but if it works then they probably need a starting SF. Personally I think I'd prefer that they just get the one pick this year, then use the Lakers pick next year (when it is unprotected) to try and get Doncic.

I believe that he will eventually guards 4 on defense and be a point forward on the other end. He nearly 7 foot now. He mismatch whetever he plays. Cant wait for Tuesday.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
I believe that he will eventually guards 4 on defense and be a point forward on the other end. He nearly 7 foot now. He mismatch whetever he plays. Cant wait for Tuesday.

I think he'll guard the 3 on defense and Saric will guard the 4, but basically yeah. Dare we hope that Philly will get lucky in another draft lottery?

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I don't like how high some of these mocks have OG Anunoby going. He's still in that 12-16 range but I figured he'd be there for the Heat at #14 for sure coming off the ACL injury. His shot looks awkward at times but he's going to be a good two-way player.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
So everyone agrees that there's a 99.999999999999% chance the Lakers remain in the top 3 right? No chance the NBA allows them to lose their pick, especially with Magic running the show now. In fact I fully expect them to get #1.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
So everyone agrees that there's a 99.999999999999% chance the Lakers remain in the top 3 right? No chance the NBA allows them to lose their pick, especially with Magic running the show now. In fact I fully expect them to get #1.

Na-ah. We ARE getting their pick this year. Positive thoughts... :yo:

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Heat have a 1.8% chance of jumping into the top three. I'm feeling confident.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00