2017 NBA Draft

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
^ And one of the reasons why the NBA is so watered down.

Too many guys leaving before they're ready and then they wind up out of the league within 3 years.

I want to say they should implement the baseball rule where you can enter draft out of high but if they go to college they have to stay 3 years (can shorten it 2 for NBA purposes) but then I'm afraid the entire draft would just be high school kids and that would make things worse.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
^ And one of the reasons why the NBA is so watered down.

Too many guys leaving before they're ready and then they wind up out of the league within 3 years.

I want to say they should implement the baseball rule where you can enter draft out of high but if they go to college they have to stay 3 years (can shorten it 2 for NBA purposes) but then I'm afraid the entire draft would just be high school kids and that would make things worse.

The NCAA should just revise its anitquated rules on what makes athletes "professional". Go the Canadian junior hockey route- allow players to be drafted and sign with an NBA team but allow them to continue to play college ball until they actually join a pro team.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
The NCAA should just revise its anitquated rules on what makes athletes "professional". Go the Canadian junior hockey route- allow players to be drafted and sign with an NBA team but allow them to continue to play college ball until they actually join a pro team.

I mean they could just do what the NHL does with NCAA. Allow players to be drafted and go back to college without a contract and give the team X amount of time to give the player a contract.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I mean they could just do what the NHL does with NCAA. Allow players to be drafted and go back to college without a contract and give the team X amount of time to give the player a contract.

As a fan, I'd enjoy that option. But it's tough since a few guys are under more pressure to make money sooner and don't have the luxury. We hear about it more in the NFL about guys knowing they're jumping into the Draft a year too early, but that they need to help support their families.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York

Yeah, that works too. Some of these kids might like the security of having a contract signed (could also be appealing to the NBA teams as well) so that's why I suggested that. But anything that essentially allows them to get their pro career started while staying in college would be a good thing. And the idea that these kids aren't already professional athletes is pretty much nonsense.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
How does this draft compare to the last 2? I really hope my Lakers get another top pick because I think we absolutely need it but should I expect another Russell/Ingram type player or someone of a higher of lesser caliber?

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
How does this draft compare to the last 2? I really hope my Lakers get another top pick because I think we absolutely need it but should I expect another Russell/Ingram type player or someone of a higher of lesser caliber?

Uh, isn't your pick going to the 76ers?

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
If we do get a top 3 pick, I hope we trade it. Seems like all the top players are PGs, we don't need one of those.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
i highly doubt the lakers pick will end up in the top 3

with how bad they are, there are actually teams that are worse this season

darko

Feb 16, 2009
If Philly don't get a PG this time around they should just fold.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad