2017 NBA Draft

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
I was pretty much just talking about the high pick.

Yeah, and I don't disagree about the need for a SG. But it could still depend on who is available when they pick. If Fultz is available I assume they would take him even though he's considered a PG. Sixers fans would probably be extremely happy if they end up with two of Fultz, Smith, Ball, Monk, Ntilikina. Not sure how likely that is, but that's the dream scenario probably.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
speaking of the sixers, what's the deal with okafor?

has a decent rookie season and is now playing 5 minutes a game? i know the frontcourt is crowded but you'd think he'd be getting more playing time. is it the off court stuff? rift with the coach?

still not sure why they haven't dealt him or noel yet

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
speaking of the sixers, what's the deal with okafor?

has a decent rookie season and is now playing 5 minutes a game? i know the frontcourt is crowded but you'd think he'd be getting more playing time. is it the off court stuff? rift with the coach?

still not sure why they haven't dealt him or noel yet

He just doesn't fit with Embiid, and Noel has been better coming off the bench.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Not a big surprise but the kid projected to be the top pick ( and future Boston Celtic ) in the 2017 NBA Draft officially announced he will enter the upcoming Draft.

from espn.com:

Washington freshman Markelle Fultz, a potential No. 1 pick in June, announced Friday that he will enter the NBA draft.

Fultz made the announcement in a video on Twitter.

"After sitting down with my mom and the coaching staff, I've made the decision to enter the NBA draft," Fultz said in the video. "Although the season hasn't gone as planned, it's really truly been a blessing to be here, and I learned plenty of life lessons on and off the court, especially from coach [Lorenzo Romar] and his coaching staff. I'm always going to be a Husky for life. Go Dawgs."

Fultz, a 6-foot-4 guard from Maryland, averaged 23.2 points, 5.9 assists and 5.7 rebounds per game in his one season at Washington. He missed six of the final eight games of the season with a sore knee.

Full story here: http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18874300/markelle-fultz-washington-huskies-enter-nba-draft

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I saw a mock yesterday where 14 of the first 15 picks were college freshmen. That's ridiculous.

Agreed. I get it, but one and dones have kind of taken the fun out of basketball in general.

I think Blake Griffin was the last non one and done player taken first overall, and he left as a sophomore IIRC. And even then, I think you have to go back to either Tim Duncan (Senior) or Olowakandi (Junior?) to find a #1 pick who stayed at least into their junior season.

Another reason I much prefer the NHL draft. Less pressure to get teenagers to make the jump right away.

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
If you are going to be an early pick you're crazy to stay any longer imo. You can preach all the development stuff you want, but if I can bank millions right now I'm taking it, not risking something like blowing out my knee and having my stock plummet.

sjsharks92

Shark Tank Commander
Jun 9, 2014
Bay Area, California
I was an advocate of players staying past their Freshman season unless you were a guaranteed top 10 pick up until this year. A guy like Ivan Rabb for instance was largely projected as a lottery pick last year as a freshman. He opted to stay another season at Cal and at the time I thought it was a good choice as I assumed he'd improve his stock and be a potential top 5 pick. Instead his stock has plummeted and he's probably going to be lucky to be picked in the first round period now. Beyond just the injury risk, these guys are taking a chance on themselves much the same as a pro athlete taking a one year 'prove it' deal would.

With that said though I do think that many guys could benefit from staying an extra year. Even though he had an incredible game last night, I think you'd be hard pressed to say Skal Labissiere couldn't have done himself some good by coming back to Kentucky for another season to put on weight and improve his all around game.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Agreed. I get it, but one and dones have kind of taken the fun out of basketball in general.

I think Blake Griffin was the last non one and done player taken first overall, and he left as a sophomore IIRC. And even then, I think you have to go back to either Tim Duncan (Senior) or Olowakandi (Junior?) to find a #1 pick who stayed at least into their junior season.

Another reason I much prefer the NHL draft. Less pressure to get teenagers to make the jump right away.

NBA was asking for one-and-dones when they changed the draft rules in 2006. For a lot of players, Davis and Towns being recent examples, it literally makes no sense to stay longer than a year. Especially when you have the chance to make millions right off the bat.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I was an advocate of players staying past their Freshman season unless you were a guaranteed top 10 pick up until this year. A guy like Ivan Rabb for instance was largely projected as a lottery pick last year as a freshman. He opted to stay another season at Cal and at the time I thought it was a good choice as I assumed he'd improve his stock and be a potential top 5 pick. Instead his stock has plummeted and he's probably going to be lucky to be picked in the first round period now. Beyond just the injury risk, these guys are taking a chance on themselves much the same as a pro athlete taking a one year 'prove it' deal would.

Thats hard to say tho, given theres always surprise picks.

sjsharks92

Shark Tank Commander
Jun 9, 2014
Bay Area, California
Thats hard to say tho, given theres always surprise picks.

The NFL sure. The NBA we pretty much always have a clear picture of who the top 8-12 prospects are. This season there's a pretty obvious first tier (Fultz, Ball, Jackson) and then a second tier of guys that fills out spots 4-14 (lottery picks)

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
Anyone who choose Lauri Markkanen gets hell of a player. He is absolutely beast and have potential in every category. Little bit more strenght to his body and he comes through the defense like Kevin Garnet. For my eyes his body looks good for basketball, he is 7'0 with athletic body. Lets go Lauri!

sjsharks92

Shark Tank Commander
Jun 9, 2014
Bay Area, California
Anyone who choose Lauri Markkanen gets hell of a player. He is absolutely beast and have potential in every category. Little bit more strenght to his body and he comes through the defense like Kevin Garnet. For my eyes his body looks good for basketball, he is 7'0 with athletic body. Lets go Lauri!

I'm really torn on Markkanen.

Part of me loves his game because the way he plays seems to fit with where the NBA is headed. What team couldn't use a rim protecting 7 footer who can shoot 3's?

But at the same time he doesn't seem to be as athletic as many of the other promising bigs in the NBA today. He struggles to create his own shot too which would definitely limit his ceiling.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Stretch bigs are definitely the future of the NBA for now.

Markkanen, to me, would be a great third option. For example - and obviously this won't happen - if the Warriors could draft him, he would fit perfectly.

Curry, Thompson, Durant, Green, Markkanen would be unguardable.

sjsharks92

Shark Tank Commander
Jun 9, 2014
Bay Area, California
Stretch bigs are definitely the future of the NBA for now.

Markkanen, to me, would be a great third option. For example - and obviously this won't happen - if the Warriors could draft him, he would fit perfectly.

Curry, Thompson, Durant, Green, Markkanen would be unguardable.

I feel he actually wouldn't be a great fit with the Warriors. At least not as the starting center. Mostly because they need their center to be somebody who can set screens, pass, and rebound. Plus Markannen is probably best suited as a 4.

He's got the size and skills to be a real good player. Just a matter of whether or not he can improve his defense and ability to score on the inside/in the post.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Lucky for him he plays in the NCAA so teams will have much more confidence. They are often uneasy about European players playing overseas, cause for every Porzingis theres a Jan Vesely.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
The Lakers won last night, and the Suns lost. The Lakers are currently in 3rd to last (1.5 games ahead of the Suns), which means if someone behind them moves up, Philly gets their 1st. Please happen in a loaded draft. :)

(not a Sixers fan or really even an NBA fan... I just can't stand the Lakers)

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
The Lakers won last night, and the Suns lost. The Lakers are currently in 3rd to last (1.5 games ahead of the Suns), which means if someone behind them moves up, Philly gets their 1st. Please happen in a loaded draft. :)

The Lakers have been blatantly tanking for some time now so might as well just it take a step further and sit anyone who is somewhat decent.

There's a good breakdown of it what's at stake here:

The stakes: The Lakers’ 2017 first-round pick, which goes to Philadelphia unless it falls in the top three. This pick was originally traded to Phoenix as part of the Steve Nash trade in July 2012, and the Suns later sent it to Philadelphia in the three-team trade that landed them Brandon Knight (for Michael Carter-Williams, who went to Milwaukee). If the pick isn’t conveyed to the Sixers this year, it is unprotected in 2018.

But wait, there’s even more to keep Johnson and new Lakers general manager Rob Pelinka up at night. If the Lakers fall out of the top three and give their pick to the Sixers, then they must also give Orlando their 2019 first-round pick. If they keep their pick, then the Magic get second-rounders in 2017 and 2018. This subsequent aspect of their pick situation is part of the Aug. 2012 trade that sent Dwight Howard from the Magic to the Lakers.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2017/03/26/nba-draft-lottery-odds-lakers-kings-protected-picks/99663998/

So they could lose two 1st round picks if they keep winning these meaningless games.

The Kings should be okay but they might want to stop winning games as well. Their pick goes to the Bulls if it ends up outside the top 10.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

In the lottery yes, but the Lakers could finish 5th worst and win the lottery to move up.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Since I don't want to get any sort of warning or infraction I'll just post the story without any comment. :laugh:

from cbssports.com:

LaVar Ball has a new theory for why UCLA didn’t win the national championship he predicted UCLA would win: too many “white guys.â€

“Realistically you can’t win no championship with three white guys because the foot speed is too slow,†he told The Orange County Register.

UCLA had three white starters this season -- namely Bryce Alford, TJ Leaf and Thomas Welsh. Oddly, none of them were beat off the dribble possession after possession in the Bruins’ 86-75 Sweet 16 loss to Kentucky. That honor belonged to Lonzo Ball, LaVar’s son, who watched De’Aaron Fox go for 39 points in 36 minutes.

Either way, Lonzo Ball is a projected top-five pick in the NBA Draft.

UCLA finished 31-5 this season.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Since I don't want to get any sort of warning or infraction I'll just post the story without any comment. :laugh:

from cbssports.com:

LaVar Ball has a new theory for why UCLA didn’t win the national championship he predicted UCLA would win: too many “white guys.â€

“Realistically you can’t win no championship with three white guys because the foot speed is too slow,†he told The Orange County Register.

UCLA had three white starters this season -- namely Bryce Alford, TJ Leaf and Thomas Welsh. Oddly, none of them were beat off the dribble possession after possession in the Bruins’ 86-75 Sweet 16 loss to Kentucky. That honor belonged to Lonzo Ball, LaVar’s son, who watched De’Aaron Fox go for 39 points in 36 minutes.

Either way, Lonzo Ball is a projected top-five pick in the NBA Draft.

UCLA finished 31-5 this season.

Once again, LaVar is an ignorant *********. I don't know how his kids are going to manage playing with their dad constantly breathing on their neck and making rude comments about their teammates.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Once again, LaVar is an ignorant *********. I don't know how his kids are going to manage playing with their dad constantly breathing on their neck and making rude comments about their teammates.

This is why I want the Celtics to grab Fultz with the ( hopefully for once the lottery balls will fall in our favour ) top pick. Let the Lakers or some other team put up with the old man crying to the media about his son's lack of playing time or why the entire team offense doesn't revolve around his kid.

Pretty funny comment from a man who married a white woman.

:amazed: That's unbelievable. She must be so thrilled by this asinine comment.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00