2017 MLB Offseason - Spring Training Lets Go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
I like the really good like high teen pitch at bats where it's batter vs pitcher in who is going to make the first mistake, I guess that's contradictory with this. I would however like to see a bigger strike zone so the batters HAVE to swing more.

I really don't like the idea of expanding the strike zone. Its already a pitchers league and batters strike out WAYYYYY too much. Sure it speeds up the game, but it makes it overall more boring.

I would actually entertain tightening the strike zone. It will force pitchers to throw pitches that are easier to hit, thus increasing offense and excitement. Hits will go up, home runs will go up, runs will go up. No one complains about watching baseball when people are actually hitting and scoring runs. Only thing that would suck is walks would go up, but whatever, pitchers will adjust over time. It also may slow down the average game a little, but I think it may be worth it at the end of the day by adding excitement.

Baseball is a slow sport, there's nothing you are going to do that will speed it up drastically unless you shorten the amount of innings or outs per inning. Some people just aren't patient enough to watch a game, and that's fine. Some people just will never like it. However, adding more offense will make it more exciting for both diehard and casual fans.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
USA! USA! USA! This year's WBC has been phenomenal so excited for the final tomorrow.

USA vs USA

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Team USA vs. Seth Lugo for the championship. This is part of the reason I have a hard time getting into this tournament or Olympic Hockey, divided loyalties :P

StvBroDan

vPLAY WITH HEARTv
Oct 15, 2008
USA
Team USA vs. Seth Lugo for the championship. This is part of the reason I have a hard time getting into this tournament or Olympic Hockey, divided loyalties :P

Its been a great tournament some great baseball. One hell of a lot better then watching the Devils.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Its been a great tournament some great baseball. One hell of a lot better then watching the Devils.

Too bad these games come on 9 and 10 PM at night. Baseball dropped the ball here. This tournament was their one chance to sell it to the local audience but between the late start times and having the rain last night cause half-empty stands now it's landing with a dud.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Went to the USA/DR game in San Diego last weekend and it was a great atmosphere. The Adam Jones catch might be emblematic of the tournament gaining some legitimacy. Although I do wish that they had aired some of the games on ESPN/FS1. When the tournament kicked off, I didn't realize it was on MLB Network which might be on some basic cable tiers.

Plus it's a tough sell since most casual fans will care more about March Madness and the NBA/NHL seasons wrapping down. At least with Team USA in the WBC, there's the stigma that certain high profile guys turn down participation.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
When will the Yankees realize Gardner Sucks and needs to go.

Gardner definitely doesn't suck. He's been a consistent 2.5+ WAR player the last four years. A guy with a .345 OBP at the top of the lineup with speed is pretty valuable, especially one who brings solid defense.

If anything, Ellsbury is the one that needs to go.

StvBroDan

vPLAY WITH HEARTv
Oct 15, 2008
USA
Gardner definitely doesn't suck. He's been a consistent 2.5+ WAR player the last four years. A guy with a .345 OBP at the top of the lineup with speed is pretty valuable, especially one who brings solid defense.

If anything, Ellsbury is the one that needs to go.

Cant argue with you there but if they can get rid of both even better.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
Yankees are going to be sneaky this year. Their offense will be certainly be good, and their relief pitching is great.

If Tanaka can stay healthy and someone like Montgomery can surprise, I'm seeing a wild card berth.

Astros will probably be the best team in the AL. Red Sox will take AL East.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
Fantasy question!

In a 12 team H2H League, how does my staff of Cueto, Cole, Duffy, Hamels, Odorizzi and Kennedy look?

What are the pitching categories?

Cueto is very solid, Cole is due for a bounceback. I think Duffy regresses this year as his velocity spike will be hard to maintain. Not a fan of Hamels. Odorizzi and Kennedy are meh. Who are some of the top FA arms?

My leagues do SV+HD instead of SV, so I am a big believer in getting stud relievers (Betances, Miller, Barraclough) who dominate categories like K/9 / WHIP / ERA and supplementing with high upside but volatile arms like Jon Gray, Vince Velasquez and Aaron Nola. I then scour waivers all season for guys that slip under the radar.

A sleeper who is probably available in your league is Charlie Morton. Check out his stats from 2016. Historically, he was a high ground ball guy with low K rates, but added like 2 MPH to his fastball last year and starting striking a lot of people out. Unfortunately he got hurt early on, but he's kept that velocity this spring. He's the Astros #3 starter this year.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
My main league does BAA, ERA, WHIP, QS, K and SVHD. My staff currently is:

SPs: McCullers, Hill, Nola, Gray, Taillon, Velasquez, Cotton, Morton
RPs: Betances, Miller, Ottavino, Barraclough, Reed, Capps, Dayton

Mar 15, 2011
NJ
What are the pitching categories?

Cueto is very solid, Cole is due for a bounceback. I think Duffy regresses this year as his velocity spike will be hard to maintain. Not a fan of Hamels. Odorizzi and Kennedy are meh. Who are some of the top FA arms?

My leagues do SV+HD instead of SV, so I am a big believer in getting stud relievers (Betances, Miller, Barraclough) who dominate categories like K/9 / WHIP / ERA and supplementing with high upside but volatile arms like Jon Gray, Vince Velasquez and Aaron Nola. I then scour waivers all season for guys that slip under the radar.

A sleeper who is probably available in your league is Charlie Morton. Check out his stats from 2016. Historically, he was a high ground ball guy with low K rates, but added like 2 MPH to his fastball last year and starting striking a lot of people out. Unfortunately he got hurt early on, but he's kept that velocity this spring. He's the Astros #3 starter this year.

W (wish it was QS but whatever), K, ERA, WHIP, K/BB, Saves.

I tried to combine safe guys like Cueto, Hamels, Kennedy and Odorizzi with upside guys like Cole, Duffy, Paxton and Folty. I haven't heard any reports that Duffy's had a velo drop.

I'm surprised you don't like Hamels. He isn't the same guy as he was in Philly and his walk rate has increased, but the guy will give you a mid 3 ERA with nearly a 9k/9 innings. I know some projections forecast that'll go down, however.

Mar 15, 2011
NJ
My main league does BAA, ERA, WHIP, QS, K and SVHD. My staff currently is:

SPs: McCullers, Hill, Nola, Gray, Taillon, Velasquez, Cotton, Morton
RPs: Betances, Miller, Ottavino, Barraclough, Reed, Capps, Dayton

I love your SP and think McCullers and Hill are good #2, but wheres that ace!? Cotton is a good sleeper this year. I know Eno Sarris loves him.

Your pen is filthy

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
I love your SP and think McCullers and Hill are good #2, but wheres that ace!? Cotton is a good sleeper this year. I know Eno Sarris loves him.

Your pen is filthy

Over the last couple years I've come to the determination that you shouldn't spend high picks on pitching. Like if Bumgarner falls to round five, take him, but I don't ever draft top tier starters close to their ADPs. Last year I had the best pitching stats in the league with a final starting pitcher alignment of Gray, Stroman, McCullers, Gsellman, Duffy and Velasquez. A lot of streaming mixed in there.

My relievers were Jansen, Britton, Diaz, Osuna, Giles and Barraclough. Looking back, it's probably unrealistic to expect ending with a reliever crew like that again, as Diaz, Giles and Barralough were all FA pickups, and my drafted guys had career years.

But if you can secure two stud relievers (Miller/Betances/Chapman/Jansen) and two semi-stud (Barraclough/Giles), and then hope that you pick up an Edwin Diaz 2016-type mid season, it takes pressure off your starting rotation.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
W (wish it was QS but whatever), K, ERA, WHIP, K/BB, Saves.

I tried to combine safe guys like Cueto, Hamels, Kennedy and Odorizzi with upside guys like Cole, Duffy, Paxton and Folty. I haven't heard any reports that Duffy's had a velo drop.

I'm surprised you don't like Hamels. He isn't the same guy as he was in Philly and his walk rate has increased, but the guy will give you a mid 3 ERA with nearly a 9k/9 innings. I know some projections forecast that'll go down, however.

Yeah, I successfully lobbied for a switch from W to QS in my league. Glad to be rid of W.

Safe guys don't really intrigue me too much because there is always so much good pitching available over the course of a season. And you can likely reproduce someone like Odorizzi's season just by streaming intelligently. But that of course requires a lot of time/attention.

I like pretty much all of your upside pitchers. Especially Paxton. He had a big velo increase last year which was attributed to mechanical changes, and I guess he's kept it this spring.

Duffy velocity: http://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/ba...gy-dip-in-velocity-a-concern-for-danny-duffy/
It's still early, so he can get the velocity up.

RE Hamels: he's been a really consistent guy, but the higher walk rate corresponding with the AL move concerns me. His swinging strike rate also went down last year (although still at a good level). Granted he's getting more grounders. He's still probably got another good season in him, but I can see him regressing soon.

Mar 15, 2011
NJ
Over the last couple years I've come to the determination that you shouldn't spend high picks on pitching. Like if Bumgarner falls to round five, take him, but I don't ever draft top tier starters close to their ADPs. Last year I had the best pitching stats in the league with a final starting pitcher alignment of Gray, Stroman, McCullers, Gsellman, Duffy and Velasquez. A lot of streaming mixed in there.

My relievers were Jansen, Britton, Diaz, Osuna, Giles and Barraclough. Looking back, it's probably unrealistic to expect ending with a reliever crew like that again, as Diaz, Giles and Barralough were all FA pickups, and my drafted guys had career years.

But if you can secure two stud relievers (Miller/Betances/Chapman/Jansen) and two semi-stud (Barraclough/Giles), and then hope that you pick up an Edwin Diaz 2016-type mid season, it takes pressure off your starting rotation.
I can see the logic in that, but you have to really know what you're doing. I picked up Jon Gray in mid may, when his stats were terrible, but his K rates were elite. He's a weird case though, as his spits were better at Coors than on the road!

Guy who intrigue me on the WW are: Cobb, Daniel Norris, Skaggs and Shelby Miller.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
I can see the logic in that, but you have to really know what you're doing. I picked up Jon Gray in mid may, when his stats were terrible, but his K rates were elite. He's a weird case though, as his spits were better at Coors than on the road!

Guy who intrigue me on the WW are: Cobb, Daniel Norris, Skaggs and Shelby Miller.

I am a big Jon Gray fan! He had a couple blow up games last year. One against the Cards in particular. If he can avoid those, a sub 4.00 ERA is reasonable.

Another Colorado pitcher that's intriguing is Tyler Anderson. He had a 3.50 ERA last year and one of the lowest exit velocities against in the majors. He was also a stud in the minors. Good K/BB rate and a GB rate above 50%. I don't know why he hasn't gotten more fanfare.

I like Daniel Norris a lot. Same with Shelby Miller. He's had a big velo spike this spring and is striking out everyone.

Mar 15, 2011
NJ
I am a big Jon Gray fan! He had a couple blow up games last year. One against the Cards in particular. If he can avoid those, a sub 4.00 ERA is reasonable.

Another Colorado pitcher that's intriguing is Tyler Anderson. He had a 3.50 ERA last year and one of the lowest exit velocities against in the majors. He was also a stud in the minors. Good K/BB rate and a GB rate above 50%. I don't know why he hasn't gotten more fanfare.

I like Daniel Norris a lot. Same with Shelby Miller. He's had a big velo spike this spring and is striking out everyone.
Do you like either better than Folty or Odorizzi?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad