Prospect Info: 2017 Leafs Board Prospect Ranking #6

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
I think Johnsson has the best chance at a successful NHL career out of remaining players.

Last edited:

ChrisCall

Jun 25, 2012
It's Rychel. It was Rychel at #5.

Basically everyone around this point all the way down to 11, 12, 13 etc is really hard to put one above the other distinctly, even though there seems so be some voting consensus about the order. It speaks well of the depth on this years chart.

Rychel was a 1st rounder. He was named to the All-Star team. He went PPG much of the 2nd half. He will turn 23 right at the start of the coming season. He plays a bruising, beat you up, power forward with skill type of game that is absolutely coveted in the league. ... Yes, it's a speed and skill league these days, but a skilled tough guy? There will always be space.

For me, the single question mark that separates him from being in the #4-6 range and the #10-12 range is his speed. I was never very impressed with it last season. It's not bad... just not really good either. Maybe he'll get quicker. Right now i'm having a tough time figuring out how well he'll be able to hold up at NHL speed. If he does, he'll be extremely valuable going forward. If not, then he'll always be a bit of a journeyman.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
I think Dermott is going to surprise you then.

I like Dermott more than Nielsen. I have Dermott after the Borgman/Bracco/Johnsson group with the Timashov/Grundstrom/Korkshov group.

We have so many good players and no room. It's a good problem to have.

Liljegren
Kapanen

Borgman/Bracco
Johnsson
Timashov/Grundstrom/Korkshov/Dermott
Brooks/Rosen/Nielsen

etc.

Last edited:

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
bracco is not nearly this good, guys.

this is a bad ranking.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
eh there's a whole bunch of guys with more complete skillsets AND more impressive performance so far.

bracco just doesn't belong nearly this high.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Sure he does.

The talent, potential and improvement is all there.
We will see how he handles the AHL and we should have a more clear picture.
He is very good

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
bracco is not nearly this good, guys.

this is a bad ranking.

I agree, but really, most of these guys left are a bit of a 'crap shoot' anyways...

I have Bracco in the 12-14 range, but it just goes to show you how deep our prospect pool is when you can argue the 6th prospect is as good as the 16th...

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
eh there's a whole bunch of guys with more complete skillsets AND more impressive performance so far.

bracco just doesn't belong nearly this high.

Sure he does.

The talent, potential and improvement is all there.
We will see how he handles the AHL and we should have a more clear picture.
He is very good

I agree, but really, most of these guys left are a bit of a 'crap shoot' anyways...

I have Bracco in the 12-14 range, but it just goes to show you how deep our prospect pool is when you can argue the 6th prospect is as good as the 16th...

No point arguing at this stage, a year or two is going to determine

We are lucky to have a deep prospect pool

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

Agreed. If Bracco is in our top 5 or 6 thats a great thing.
However saying a low fringe prospect like Joshua is better is cringe worthy IMO

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara

Yup. I think Timashov is better player for Babcock in the long run because he is stronger on the boards and just has more lower body strength period but hard to argue with Bracco's achievements - he keeps getting the job done when it counts. Bracco gets pushed around too much but to his credit he knows that's his weakness and has indicated in his interview that he is really focussing on strength and conditioning this summer.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

eh, there's crapshoot then there's crapshoot.

bracco is as one dimensional a prospect as there is.....and that dimension isn't even that good.

all of nielsen borgman rosen rasanen are easily more interesting prospects for me, and bracco is even most likely well down the list of similar talent wingers....i.e. all of johnson, timashov, brooks, have arguably fewer flaws AND more impressive performance than him.

i'd probably take valiev over him. some could prefer woll without being outrageous. and even though i don't think much of him there's probably good reason to prefer rychel as well.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
lol Bracco was 17th last year

Its wierd how he has gone into the top 6 this year when apparently he didnt improve or anything at least not to the extent that people with unrealistic expectations thought.
Moving up 11 spots without improvement, lets hope he continues too not improve;)

The great thing is Bracco has improved tons from his move over too Windsor where he learned to play a more complete game and showed he can be clutch.
Lets hope he continues to show great improvement. If he does that would be amazing.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
eh, there's crapshoot then there's crapshoot.

bracco is as one dimensional a prospect as there is.....and that dimension isn't even that good.

all of nielsen borgman rosen rasanen are easily more interesting prospects for me, and bracco is even most likely well down the list of similar talent wingers....i.e. all of johnson, timashov, brooks, have arguably fewer flaws AND more impressive performance than him.

i'd probably take valiev over him. some could prefer woll without being outrageous. and even though i don't think much of him there's probably good reason to prefer rychel as well.

Agreed in full Zeke. We have so many more complete prospects with more potential.

I have Bracco 12-15...

embracedbias

Jan 11, 2009
Waterloo
lol Bracco was 17th last year

Everyone is moving up given how many prospects graduated.

8 who were above Bracco graduated or have moved on (although we added a Lilj and Ras)

1. Auston Matthews -- 90.30%
2. Mitch Marner -- 77.42%
3. William Nylander -- 96.95%
4. Connor Brown -- 35.79%
5. Nikita Zaitsev -- 57.87%
6. Kasperi Kapanen -- 37.50%
7. Connor Carrick -- 35.27%
8. Travis Dermott -- 35.59%
9. Nikita Soshnikov -- 44.68%
10. Andreas Johnson -- 31.60%
11. Dmytro Timashov -- 26.03%
12. Kerby Rychel -- 42.38%