Prospect Info: 2017 Leafs Board Prospect Ranking #6

stymie

Oct 15, 2014
Unless it is a Memorial Cup, Bracco chooses to do nothing but try to score.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Dmytro Timashov's QMJHL career:
123GP, 175P, 1.42P/GP.

Jeremy Bracco's OHL career:
106GP, 147P, 1.39P/GP.

I get why some here love Bracco. He might well be the 3rd best prospect when it comes to sheer talent. But at the same time, as the above indicates, his production has never really caught up to his skill level. It's been good, but never great, which is what you want to see from a prospect who's 5'9." On the comparison above, both are 2015 draft picks. Timashov was an overager, began his 2-year QMJHL career in 2014 (D-1). Bracco began his OHL career in 2015 (D+1). Tima is the better two way player and is coming off a solid first pro season, something Bracco has yet to prove. IMO, they're close, with an edge to Tima, yet one's got all the hype here and the other is flying way under the radar. Neither is in my personal top 10. If Bracco lights the AHL on fire this year, I'd be all for moving him up, but at the moment, he sort of underwhelms me.

As for my pick, I went with Calle Rosén. It is always a tad tricky judging where Euro FA signings should be ranked. These guys are proven against top competition in the world's 2nd and 3rd best men's league, a level many juniors may never reach. They are also, however, closer to finished products and thus are what they are. Either they can cut it in the NHL or not, and we'll find that out in the next year or two, not five (Aaltonen is going to be a nightmare to rank. He literally could be gone by October if he doesn't make the Leafs).

Rosén played on the top pairing of the best team in the Swedish league last year. Ville Leino claimed that he is the best skater he's ever played with, he was called by a scout a "Corsi darling," and he's also reported to have a bomb of a slap shot, along with an ability to play the right-side. Given that raw skill set and his age (23), you have to figure that the Leafs see him as an NHL player sooner rather than later. It's not like Borgman, who at 21 has some time to develop. Rosén was signed to help the Leafs this year or next.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
How so ...

Well Nielsen as a rookie finished with 39 points in his first season...more than Valiev has scored in his AHL career..over 110 games. Nielsen also finished with a +7 rating compared to Valiev's -5. I can't find ahl toi stats, but I'm very confident Nielsen played more as well.

Dermott is even better than Nielsen, spoken of very highly by coaching staff, played top pairing by seasons end, and I'd say has a great chance to play with the leafs this season.

Valiev will probably be a bottom pairing defender on the marlies...again.

I love the guy, but not betting on him carving out an NHL career.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Well Nielsen as a rookie finished with 39 points in his first season...more than Valiev has scored in his AHL career..over 110 games. Nielsen also finished with a +7 rating compared to Valiev's -5. I can't find ahl toi stats, but I'm very confident Nielsen played more as well.

Dermott is even better than Nielsen, spoken of very highly by coaching staff, played top pairing by season's end, and I'd say has a great chance to play with the Leafs this season.

Valiev will probably be a bottom pairing defender on the Marlies...again.

I love the guy, but not betting on him carving out an NHL career.

The Leafs liked Valiev enough to call him up and play 10 games in his AHL rookie season. Dermott is going to take Gardiner's spot in 2018-19. :nod:

Last edited:

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
The Leafs liked Valiev enough to call him up and play 10 games in his AHL rookie season. Dermott is going to take Gardiner's spot in 2017-18. :nod:

Dermott isn't gonna be taking our best defenders spot this season. I love Dermott as a player and think he can be our 2nd best dmen at his best after rielly(if Rielly hits his stride and takes his game to another level like he did in the playoffs). But he doesn't replace Gardiner until 19-20 and that's if he shows himself capable allowing us to have him in the top 4 letting Gardiner walk as a f/a.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Dermott isn't gonna be taking our best defenders spot this season. I love Dermott as a player and think he can be our 2nd best dmen at his best after rielly(if Rielly hits his stride and takes his game to another level like he did in the playoffs). But he doesn't replace Gardiner until 19-20 and that's if he shows himself capable allowing us to have him in the top 4 letting Gardiner walk as a f/a.

Sorry man, I meant 2018-19 ... Jake is just the #3 sheltered dman on one of the worst D groups in the league. think about it. :nod:

Not my website below...

19895100_115779345708658_4589615833626243393_n.jpg

Last edited:

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Sorry man, I meant 2018-19 ... Jake is just the #3 sheltered dman on one of the worst D groups in the league. think about it. :nod:

Sort of a perfect storm 'worst' D groups. A load of rookies up front, a goaltender who didn't hit his stride during the first month and sub quality 5/6/7 men.

*Andersen with a good year improves the overall D.
*A year older forward group + Marleau improves the overall D.
*Hainsey, even in the 4 spot (though I would like him better at 5/6) improves the overall D.
*Rielly, Gardiner, Zaitsev are decent 2/3/4 Ds and I believe Rielly will have a better year, Zaitsev too (a year's experience) and Gardiner, while he may have peaked, should not regress and is a fine 2nd pairing D at worst.

Regardless of whether we acquire the top pairing RD we want, this team's D won't be as bad as last year's.

And I'll stick with Gauthier as being the most likely to move up, if he recovers well. Our C group is not deep and Babs appears to like the Goat.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Well, we got the top-6 right.. in a different order than mine, but the right players all the same.

Next for me is:

7. Nielsen
8. Borgman
9. Rychel
10. Johnsson
11. Rosen
12. Rasanen
13. Woll

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
Borgman/Bracco/Johnsson

I'm not as high on Dermott or Nielsen as the others but that's okay.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
It's really hard to determine, the next five or so are at the same level at this stage and are not NHL ready (with couple of exceptions may be)

Last edited:

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Woll needs more love. I know that it's hard to integrate and bet on goalies in these lists, but he's every bit the prospect Oettinger is, just didn't have the benefit of a late birthday letting him show off NCAA success in his draft year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad