2017 inagural training camp

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
And the non-rookies skated today too.

Drills were at a good tempo/speed, but the scrimmage was slow/shinny speed. Sigh.

Chatted with three of the rooks who came over to watch. They're enjoying their camp.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Team requiring RSVPs to attend training camp. On a day by day basis it appears. Friday and Saturday full.

Saw that. And people say this isn't a hockey market...although people right now are desperate for anything Knights.

If this keeps up over the next few years this team will have no problem with spending. It will be nice to be a fan of a cap team who may be even a draw for FA's unlike my other team.

KnishOfTheCrease

Chez Pierre Enthusiast
Oct 8, 2010
Las Vegas
Can't wait for camp today. Anyone looking chat, I'll be the guy in the Golden Knights t shirt. I'll be there with 3 beer league buddies.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Team announced more reservations available for camp.

(But if there's space, they won't turn you away, just that those with reservations are "guaranteed" seat.)

KnishOfTheCrease

Chez Pierre Enthusiast
Oct 8, 2010
Las Vegas
The first day of camp, the place cleared out after an hour. Most people left when the practice ended because the Zam came on. They didn't realize there was a scrimmage.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
How has Nick Suzuki looked?

Has looked like his age from what I've seen so far. I haven't attended a practice yet, though. Everyone is saying he's kind of faded into the background most of the time, but that he's the kind of player you see shine in game situations.

Got a goal and an assist yesterday, and the assist was a beauty.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Looks like Ferguson is going back to Kamloops. Good move for both he and the Knights. He had a great game against the Canucks but he still needs the next couple of years to keep developing. The Blazers are one WHL team Vegas fans should be keeping an eye on. You never know who else on that roster is going to "pop". Knights' scouts may spot another player or two on their roster and sign them as free agents or put them on their 2018 draft list.

Link: https://twitter.com/JonKeenNLSports

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Has looked like his age from what I've seen so far. I haven't attended a practice yet, though. Everyone is saying he's kind of faded into the background most of the time, but that he's the kind of player you see shine in game situations.

Got a goal and an assist yesterday, and the assist was a beauty.

Actually I worry that at the NHL level he may struggle to shine. His style of play seems extraordinarily well suited to dominate junior league players but up against tighter NHL defenses that stifles creativity of our most talented superstars, I wonder what else he has beyond the occasional solid pass.

I mean obviously he's got the talent to put an NHL level career together, but I can see why he went middle first round rather than up at the top for a guy of his skill. He does tend to disappear often.

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
Actually I worry that at the NHL level he may struggle to shine. His style of play seems extraordinarily well suited to dominate junior league players but up against tighter NHL defenses that stifles creativity of our most talented superstars, I wonder what else he has beyond the occasional solid pass.

I mean obviously he's got the talent to put an NHL level career together, but I can see why he went middle first round rather than up at the top for a guy of his skill. He does tend to disappear often.

For this reason, I wonder if he'll be better at Wing than Center when he makes it to the NHL. Especially the way he finished on that goal in the Vancouver game. I'd like to see the Knights handle him like the Sharks did with Pavelski.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
For this reason, I wonder if he'll be better at Wing than Center when he makes it to the NHL. Especially the way he finished on that goal in the Vancouver game. I'd like to see the Knights handle him like the Sharks did with Pavelski.

Collegiate vs juniors. Means Pavs was more mature when he went pro.

Pavs went pro into AHL for some seasoning. Then made NHL debut later in first season. Sharks (almost) always put rookie on wing in NHL. To acclimate minimum. Then let him segue into center. He's currently sharing center with Jumbo, depending on location/side of face off; Pavs takes right, Jumbo left.

Seems harder to compare.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I don't think maturity has much to do with playing style. Suzuki plays a very flashy yet ultimately outdated style of hockey. It will be interesting to see how he does tonight in a more veteran game.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I don't see anything wrong with Suzuki's game per se. Looks great, albeit playing it safe and trying to impress Gallant with his coverage.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Looks like Ferguson is going back to Kamloops. Good move for both he and the Knights. He had a great game against the Canucks but he still needs the next couple of years to keep developing. The Blazers are one WHL team Vegas fans should be keeping an eye on. You never know who else on that roster is going to "pop". Knights' scouts may spot another player or two on their roster and sign them as free agents or put them on their 2018 draft list.

Link: https://twitter.com/JonKeenNLSports

Looked good from the game vs. Van and obviously had a shut out in the rookie games. Will definitely check up on him throughout the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad