2017 Draft

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
I get this stuff by looking up the rosters for Niewy's years here. I also went from frustrating memory that he wouldn't bring up the kids. I recall the one game Glennie, Dillon and even Jordie Benn one game call ups at the end of a lost season, etc.

Eventually, yes, an average of 3 picks per year had some amount of success later. So, maybe it was the coaching, the theory of using vets to stay competitive and sell seats, no doubt a lot goes into bringing a kid up and when.

Niewy drafted IMHO, a bit below average. 2 were offensive dynamos, another dozen players filling out lower lines and the press box. In a cap era, you have to use the draft to get your top end players, and he basically failed to do that, despite good draft positions of 8, 11, 14, and 13 (from memory) Yes, I recall a year when HF ranked the Stars upper third based on quantity but not quality, and they were spot on.

I never could quite grasp his theory of team building since his draft picks went all over the board. At least with Nill, you know you are going to get size, some speed and high hockey IQ. Feels like he is trying to build a "plug in a new part" type system we have seen in successful teams like the old NJ and of course, DET teams.

Granted, he worked under the worst of circumstances, but that shouldn't affect the draft part. I think he is a wonderful and smart man. But, when I heard ownership hired another ex jock with little GM related experience, I didn't like it, despite liking Niewy himself. I figured a more experienced GM would have gotten more out of the tenure.

So, if you want to defend his drafting record, then have at it. Granted, the first round busts sort of cover up some other good picks, but even those picks only gained value by virtue of Nill being able to trade that quantity for quality later.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad