2017 Draft

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
I have not yet dug into the draft prospects for this year's draft.

How deep is the 2017 Draft?

At approximately what ranges are the tiers of talent in 2017?

How man Franchise Players?
How many Blue Chippers?

Would love anyone's insight...

Last edited:

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Hischier has been dynamite this year. I'm expecting Vesalainen (my fave hockey boy in this draft) to have a really strong WJC too.

Tippett not related to Dave

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Hischier has been dynamite this year. I'm expecting Vesalainen (my fave hockey boy in this draft) to have a really strong WJC too.

Tippett not related to Dave

I will have to look into Vesalainen.

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
Saw Callan Foote a few times, and I really like his game. Big strong two-way defenseman playing in Kelowna, son of Adam Foote.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Saw Callan Foote a few times, and I really like his game. Big strong two-way defenseman playing in Kelowna, son of Adam Foote.

Also interesting...His low PIMs would lend you to believe that he lacks his father's bite. I do miss those old-schoolers...the Footes, Hatchers, Prongers, Stevenses, etc.

Different day.

Johns is as close as we got, and he's a far cry from the mean that those guys brought.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
One to keep an eye on...Miro Heiskanen.

Defenseman, plays with Roope Hintz HIFK Helsinki. Rave reviews. Projected 1st Rounder.

I'm sure our scouts are watching him.

I think we can get a good player out of this draft in the 5-10 range.

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
Anyone read the scouting report on Heiskanen?

He sounds identical Honka. Smaller, smooth skating, high IQ, great and escaping forechecks with skating or break out passes. From Finland also

Hes left handed, but I think he plays on the right side though

marty182

Jul 19, 2013
and I like two sweden guys Lias Anderson and Ellias Pettersson. Both will play at WJC

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Martin Necas

Here's another guy that I really like...Martin Necas.

This is a shift-by-shift playing against adults in the Czech League.

He is playing mostly 1st Line Center, but I also saw him once line up at RW.

He seems like very well-rounded. 2-way Center with speed, agility, a scorer's nose...He plays a heady game, making smart little plays from what I see here. Very aware of where his teammates are on the ice.

He hussles, but it's an efficient, smart hussle. There isn't a lot of wasted energy and scrambling.

He also looks very good on faceoffs. By my count, which could be off, I had him winning 8 of 11 or 72% on the night.

On a side note, he employed the go-down-to-one-knee Seguin shot on the goal he scored.

He was on the ice for the 1st 3 goals of the game as well, before the score was run up.

Just one game, but he looks great out there against adults.

If you look at his stats, he's been productive at every level and has equal-to-better production in the playoffs. One thing I look for when stack ranking my prospects pre-draft.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Lilgegren...this kid looks like a top-pairing D. Maybe a #1 D one day.

I only wish he was a lefty, but I'd still draft him in a heartbeat regardless.

Very dynamic. Excellent skating. Seems tenacious, and resilient (bounced back from a terrible turnover that resulted in a goal...looks like he got a little too cocky on that play) Good puckhandling and shot. Even throws an effective hip check during this game on the league's leading scorer at the time!

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003

Here's is a shift-by-shift of Hischier.

I was surprised at how much of a complete, two-way Center he is. Good at reading the plays, and taking away the puck from the opposition. Used on the Penalty Kill. Good vision, hockey IQ, and passing...accurate smart passes. A little bit of Spezza in his game in that regard. Using the boards to make billiards passes. Looks like he has a good work ethic out there as well. Not afraid to go to the net front.

Skating is obviously his calling card, he looks pretty effortless out there, and also strong on his skates. He uses his speed to break out, dart around the offensive zone, but also to backcheck. Not a cherry-picker.

He looks like he likes to protect the puck, I noticed at least once him the pill on his strong hand and whipping around the offensive zone.

The opposition looked annoyed by him at times...I don't know if it was just because it was a relatively heated game, or if he generally annoys the opposition.

Didn't notice much dangling in his game.

About 50/50 on the dot, by my count.

Toews-lite?

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
I've been watching some OHL games...I will be putting together some scouting reports on the draft eligible OHL prospects after I've watched a good handful of games for each.

I have access to ALL OHL games...

Let me know if you have any specific OHLers that you want me to watch for you.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Nick Suzuki is an interesting prospect.

I will give you all my scouting report on him after I watch some more games, but i think he could be a riser in the draft...hoping not though so that he might be available in the 2nd Round.

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
I've been watching some OHL games...I will be putting together some scouting reports on the draft eligible OHL prospects after I've watched a good handful of games for each.

I have access to ALL OHL games...

Let me know if you have any specific OHLers that you want me to watch for you.

Nicolas Hague is a guy I'm really curious about.

Seems like he checks literally every box you'd want in a defenseman, but he's not ranked overly high (and Craig Button specifically doesn't even have him in his top 30). I guess there's gotta be something in the film that isn't quite right?

If you happen to catch a Steelhead game I'd be really grateful to hear your perspective.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Nicolas Hague is a guy I'm really curious about.

Seems like he checks literally every box you'd want in a defenseman, but he's not ranked overly high (and Craig Button specifically doesn't even have him in his top 30). I guess there's gotta be something in the film that isn't quite right?

If you happen to catch a Steelhead game I'd be really grateful to hear your perspective.

You got it.

I have watched him, but only a game or so.

i will watch some more of him for you and let you know what I think.

Owen Tippett plays for the Steelheads too, so I can get two birds with one stone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad