Not open for further replies.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
not sure what our biggest need is
bpa i guess (as always)

The biggest hole we have is a first line center. Maybe Brown will become one; but given the odds, I would like to get another center with that potential to increase the odds of success.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
The biggest hole we have is a first line center. Maybe Brown will become one; but given the odds, I would like to get another center with that potential to increase the odds of success.

Won't be any 1st line Cs where we pick.

The middle of the draft isn't bad though. Should get a decent enough player.

From the Prospects game the forwards I liked that may be there were Lind, Yamamoto, Thomas, Glass, Rasmussen; D I liked were Fleury, Timmins

Yamamoto is smaller but has very good skills

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

Ryan Poehling C/LWor maybe Cody Glass C/RW.

From the Prospects game the forwards I liked that may be there were Lind, Yamamoto, Thomas, Glass, Rasmussen; D I liked were Fleury, Timmins

Ryan Poehling C might be there depending on where he ends up, Button seems to be high on him & has projected him to be a 2nd line centre with 1st line potential. Cody Glass C has also been all over the place depending on what mock draft or ranking you look at & he is another possibility to fall to us or close enough to trade up to get him & he's a centre too.

I liked Connor Timmons too, he seems to have good mobility, plays in all situations, good vision, decent size, smart with the puck & is a right shot something this team could use a little more of on defence & might just be close enough to trade up with our 3rd pick plus to get him. The two prospect game late period goalies & Entwhistle should be right around that 3rd pick too although Entwhistle might also be available with the 4th.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

Ryan Poehling C/LWor maybe Cody Glass C/RW.

Ryan Poehling C might be there depending on where he ends up, Button seems to be high on him & has projected him to be a 2nd line centre with 1st line potential. Cody Glass C has also been all over the place depending on what mock draft or ranking you look at & he is another possibility to fall to us or close enough to trade up to get him & he's a centre too.

I liked Connor Timmons too, he seems to have good mobility, plays in all situations, good vision, decent size, smart with the puck & is a right shot something this team could use a little more of on defence & might just be close enough to trade up with our 3rd pick plus to get him. The two prospect game late period goalies & Entwhistle should be right around that 3rd pick too although Entwhistle might also be available with the 4th.

Glad to see that there are some who might be first line centers. If they end up being second line centers that is not too shabby given the drafting position.

I am convinced that to get top level players and a winning team you have to draft in the top 5 for several years, which means deliberately tanking. I know that it does not always work out, but I think the odds are with you when doing so. However, you do have to go through a very lean period that can be a challenge for small Canadian market teams with pocket watch pockets!

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
McKenzie's Mid season list is out. here

2vez3c.jpg

a snippet of who might be in our range at this point.

There is a huge contrast between Comtois and Yamamoto but I like both players for different reasons.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Jeff Glass is like 30 years old. I'm gonna say he probably doesn't have an 18 year old son.

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
Isn't Cody Glass the son of Jeff Glass the former Sens goalie that they signed during his Memorial Cup appearance way back when?

Yep, Cody Glass is the son of Jeff Glass. Not the former Sens goalie that they signed during his Memorial Cup appearance way back when, though. A different Jeff Glass.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
From that list I like Kristian Vesalainen. We need more RW depth (LW too).

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
On TSN, McKenzie said those rated from 3 to 13 were in about the same talent level after the first two (Patrick and Hischer). The third tier he said starts at 14 with Cody Glass.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
From that list I like Kristian Vesalainen. We need more RW depth (LW too).

If Senators needs more wingers they should consider one of Tippet,Tolvanen, Pettersson or Comtois.
I'm not convinced of Vesalainen's NHL potential at all.

But if GM Dorion wants waste 1st round pick for a guy who's mediocre scorer so be it.
I got much Jesse Joensuu wibes (not good and positive way) when i watch Vesalainen in world juniors ( one of the biggest Finnish disappointments there)

Last edited:

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Scored a nice goal in the prospects game. Nice hands good snipe.

Yep, highly skilled kid, although fair to say that the 67's might have been expecting a little more out of him this year than he has shown thus far. The obvious knocks on him would be size and the fact that he has been a bit injury prone so far in junior, although you hate hanging a tag like that on a kid - injuries are part of the game, and they can happen to anyone. It seems to me that Chmelevski is exactly the kind of kid you might want to take a chance on this year given how thin the draft will get so quickly...

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
McKenzie's Mid season list is out. here

2vez3c.jpg

a snippet of who might be in our range at this point.

There is a huge contrast between Comtois and Yamamoto but I like both players for different reasons.

Ok, out of this group, who is the most skills of the bunch? Who has the highest hockey IQ/sense? Who is the best skater?

That would be the one I want. We need a skill upgrade at all positions.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Ok, out of this group, who is the most skills of the bunch? Who has the highest hockey IQ/sense? Who is the best skater?

That would be the one I want. We need a skill upgrade at all positions.

I think Lias Andersson is the best overall player in the group. Hi IQ , good two -way.
If you are looking exclusively at skill and IQ I would go with Yamamoto. McKenzie's list has him at 5'7.5 . The prospects game had him at 5'9 as does hockeydb.

from the Draft Analyst
RW Kailer Yamamoto (Spokane, WHL): Yamamoto has been a notable 2017 draft prospect for a few years, doing nothing but pile up points in what is his third WHL season. Small in stature but a giant when it comes to creating plays, he has an extremely high IQ with vision already at an elite level. Yamamoto silenced critics before, so don’t be surprised if he continues to do so after he’s drafted in or close to the first round.

2016-17 Spokane Chiefs WHL 43 30 33 63

On D I would say Valimaki
from the Draft Analyst (recently 10th)
If there is one defenseman capable of dethroning Liljegren from the perch of top draft-eligible defenseman, it’s this hulking Finnish blue liner with an array of elite skills. Valimaki distinguishes himself as a thinking-man’s defender who uses quick reaction time to pounce on loose puck in his own end and make the immediate transition to offense. He quarterbacks the power play with success via patience on the zone entry and leading teammates with passes behind the wall of defenders.

2016-17 Tri-City Americans WHL 42 14 28 42

Last edited:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
If Senators needs more wingers they should consider one of Tippet,Tolvanen, Pettersson or Comtois.
I'm not convinced of Vesalainen's NHL potential at all.

But if GM Dorion wants waste 1st round pick for a guy who's mediocre scorer so be it.
I got much Jesse Joensuu wibes (not good and positive way) when i watch Vesalainen in world juniors ( one of the biggest Finnish disappointments there)

I agree, he seems like another perimeter floater to me & although he has good size. I also don't want any more small soft skilled forwards like some of the others on that list. Ottawa is already too small & will get pushed around the way they were against Buffalo the other night against a bigger, tougher team.

IMO Ottawa needs to add more size & skill to their lineup especially up front, from that list I like Glass, Poehling, Comtois & Bowers in that order & Foote or Hague on defence. But there could also be a couple of other guys who could fall to Ottawa or be near where they could end up drafting from, like Kostin, Ratcliffe, Robertson, Strome or Lind.

Last edited:

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Yamamoto was fun to watch in the prospects game. I liked what I saw. Tried to look up video on Vesalainen and he does seem to float a little. Didn't like that. But do like the size. Maybe we finally get a second S in Andersson! Be interesting to see where we actually end up picking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad