2017 Draft Predictions/Preferences

Status
Not open for further replies.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
I was too, then people started comparing him to Backes and I got it.

I mean, I don't agree with it, but I get it. People love Backes, and if we could get Backes 2.0 people would be thrilled.

But what about someone better than Backes 2.0? How about Turgeon 2.0? Tarasenko 2.0? Unger, Sutter, Berenson, Federko 2.0?

I could see Thomas being a Federko. Federko had 6 30+ goal seasons and a 41 goal season, but his real value was as a set-up man. 10 straight seasons of 50+ assists, including 6 60-69pt seasons, and 2 73 point seasons as well.

I doubt Thomas will ever be a 30 goal guy (maybe Nick Backstrom is a better comparable), but those set-up numbers and the ability to drive play are within the realm of possibility for Thomas, adjusting for era. It's been since Doug Weight in 03/04 (Kariya was 1 point off in 07-08) that the Blues have had a 50-assist guy. Demitra was our last true 1C, with 36 goals, 57 assists, 93 points in 73 games in the 02-03 season. So, 13 someodd years later, maybe it's time we get someone who make plays again.

And come to think of it, Doug Weight is probably a pretty good comparable for Robert Thomas. They're similarly-sized (Weight = 5'11", 200lbs; Thomas = 6'00, 188lbs), and their production curve skews heavily towards the assist category. Adding a young Doug Weight to this team could be huge.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
I was too, then people started comparing him to Backes and I got it.

I mean, I don't agree with it, but I get it. People love Backes, and if we could get Backes 2.0 people would be thrilled.

But what about someone better than Backes 2.0? How about Turgeon 2.0? Tarasenko 2.0? Unger, Sutter, Berenson, Federko 2.0?

This is the exact reason I never wanted him. Once I heard that was his comparison, I knew people would be jumping to say we should snag him.. I like Backes, but if Poehling ends up as effective as Backes, I will be mightly surprised. Also, I really don't think Backes is the kind of player we need right now. Sure, a net front prescence could be useful, but our problems stem from just a lack of an all situation offensive center. I don't want us to neglect that need just to focus on a player who's effectiveness is highly situational, especially with the 20th overall pick.

Edgar Carrow

The Misshapen Steed
Oct 12, 2013
Blackwater Park
I didn't vote for Poehling because I wanted another Backes; I never liked Backes. I think Poehling will be better than Thomas. That's all I care about.

LetsGoBooze

Buium or bust
Jan 16, 2012
Per the Army interview sounds like there might be 6 or 7 guys we would package both our 1sts to move up for. Sounds like if one of them drops into the 10-13 range that might be a possibility.

I had a Carolina fan offer 12 and 42 for 20 27 and 51.

Obviously the right guy would have to be there at 12, but moving up in the 2nd really helped with the blow of trading two 1sts for one.

BangarangxRufio

I Blues'd Myself
Nov 29, 2016
STL
Per the Army interview sounds like there might be 6 or 7 guys we would package both our 1sts to move up for. Sounds like if one of them drops into the 10-13 range that might be a possibility.

Obviously the right guy would have to be there at 12, but moving up in the 2nd really helped with the blow of trading two 1sts for one.

TIPPETT PLEASE!!!!!!
giphy.gif

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO

Link?

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
I would cry tears of joy if we ended up drafting lias andersson. If we don't trade up, then I would cry tears of joy if we took Robert Thomas then nick Hague and one of ikonen/heponiemi/ Lind/Mismash in the 2nd

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I feel like this draft is going to be all over the place. Guys falling, teams "reaching" for players 20-30 picks before they're projected to go for any number of reasons etc. The only thing that feels established is that Patrick and Hischier will go 1&2, and even the order of that is up in the air. I'm very interested in this draft and I think we have the potential to grab 2 great players with 20 and 27 with how this draft shakes out. I don't want to trade up unless someone Bill Armstrong loves can be grabbed without adding anything to our 2 1sts.

LetsGoBooze

Buium or bust
Jan 16, 2012
I think i've joined the FILIP CHYTIL at #27 bandwagoon.

Hoping for 2 of:

Kostin, Thomas, Chytil.

That would be a killer 1st round for me.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
I think i've joined the FILIP CHYTIL at #27 bandwagoon.

Hoping for 2 of:

Kostin, Thomas, Chytil.

That would be a killer 1st round for me.

Yeah I'm hoping for (in no particular order):

20: Kostin, Poehling, Thomas

27: Brannstrom, Timmons, Chytil

:naughty:

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
If the Blues keep both 1st's I think they'll wind up taking 1 forward & 1 defenseman.

I feel like taking a D at 27 is the most likely scenario with what seems to be guys like Hague/Brannstrom being available around there. But I wouldn't mind taking two D if a guy like Foote falls to 20.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I feel like taking a D at 27 is the most likely scenario with what seems to be guys like Hague/Brannstrom being available around there. But I wouldn't mind taking two D if a guy like Foote falls to 20.
I feel that if Foote falls to #20 it will be a no brainer that we select him. There is nothing wrong with picking 2 D in the 1st round. We can simply stockpile D prospects and later trade them for forward help.

LetsGoBooze

Buium or bust
Jan 16, 2012
I feel that if Foote falls to #20 it will be a no brainer that we select him. There is nothing wrong with picking 2 D in the 1st round. We can simply stockpile D prospects and later trade them for forward help.

Im liking JUUSO VÄLIMÄKI when it comes to D.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003

I am good with taking Foote. However the other two are prospects that we have in spades. Hague sounds a lot like Edmondson, the other is Dunn and Walman.

I would go forward with the first couple of picks, Then Cameron Crotty or Ian Mitchel, or Farrance in the second round

STL BLUES

Youth Movement
Oct 22, 2013
Up-Nort
If the number eight is the right guy then Army does a deal with Buffalo. One of our AHL Dmen. I've had this predicted for some time and Army recently said he would trade up if the right guy is still available. DizzyMe :yo:

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
If the number eight is the right guy then Army does a deal with Buffalo. One of our AHL Dmen. I've had this predicted for some time and Army recently said he would trade up if the right guy is still available. DizzyMe :yo:

Duly noted!

For the record, I would do that deal banking on Petersson being available. :)

Last edited:

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I'm warming to the idea of Kostin at 20. He's definitely a boom or bust type player, but with 2 1sts we can definitely take a chance.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
If you have never read HP's Black Book, definitely give it a chance if you have the $30 to spare. It's an amazing amount of insight. 500+ pages and it even has some information about next year's prospects too. Really awesome guide compiled solely by watching guys in person and talking to NHL scouts.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I was pretty hyped about Sebastian Repo in two years back when he was first time draft availabld. Now looks almost every NHL teams are really interesting on him and pushing hard to get him. Tho Idk do he need to go draft or can teams get him who gives him best offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad