2017 Draft Predictions/Preferences

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blues0307

May 25, 2009
St. Louis
Yep, that's really the selling point with him: quick payoff. I doubt his upside (maybe he's a 40-point guy at some point), but he'll probably be there sooner rather than later. Is he better than Barbashev? I kind of doubt it.

For a guy like Thomas, who I think can match Horvat, I think he's closer than a lot of people might realize. The more I think/read/watch, the more Thomas is the guy I want at #20.

Bingo. Thomas looks like he can top out as a high-end 2C to me, and I could see him being in the NHL in a couple years. I'm hoping he falls to us and we take him.

For those that are high on Poehling, have you been able to watch him play? The highlights that you find of him tend to be of goals he gets through deflections. There's not much out there that highlights his shot or playmaking ability. Does anyone have any thoughts on what his upside would be?

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
I feel like I have done more research on this draft than I have ever done in the past and I still feel like the best move would be to try to trade up. I still think center is our biggest need and the 1st round and chalked full of them.

The way I see it is there are four classes of centerman in this draft

Class 1: Hischier and Nolan
Class 2: Glass and Vilardi
Class 3: Mittelstadt, Necas, Pettersson and Andersson
Class 4: Rasmussen, Suzuki, Kostin and Poehling

Right now I think it is safe to assume that one or more of the centers from class 4 would reach us at the 20th pick. However I am not convinced any of these players project to be anything better than a low end 2C, more likely a 3C which we have a surplus of.

I think if we package our 20th and our 2nd round pick to get into the low teens we would have a legitimate shot at someone from class 3. I think these players have a much better shot of becoming higher impact top 6 centers.

Now if somehow one of the centers from class 2 falls into the latter part of the top10 that is when I would consider moving both first. IMO though it is very unlikely that one of them falls past the 5th or 6thOA and even if they did we would still have to find a willing trading partner in those spots. So I am going to stay focused on group 3

Out of group 3 I would prefer Elias Pettersson, just watching film on him he reminds me in a lot of ways of Niklas Backstrom. He needs a little polishing for sure but the kid oozes skill.

Yep...I'd move quite a package of futures to somehow land Vilardi. RHS-Center would be great, and I've considered him the third-best player in this draft for quite some time.

LetsGoBooze

Buium or bust
Jan 16, 2012
Yep...I'd move quite a package of futures to somehow land Vilardi. RHS-Center would be great, and I've considered him the third-best player in this draft for quite some time.

Couldn't agree more, and he's one of the youngest players in the entire draft which excites me as well. Just watching some interviews he really seems like a mature/standup guy already at 17. I really feel like in a few years you could build a lockerroom around him. Just my opinion, but im ready to go all in on this guy.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
http://thehockeywriters.com/6th-annual-nhl-mock-draft-2017-sneak-peek/

Fisher from THW (dubious source, I know) released a full mock draft:
#20: Juuso Valimaki, LHD, Tri-City
#27: Jaret Anderson-Dolan, C, Spokane
#51: Grant Mismash, C, USNTDP
#113: Clayton Phillips, LHD, Fargo
#130: Kyle Olson, RW, Tri-City
#175: Daniel Bukac, RHD, Brandon
#206: Kyle Maksimovich, RW, Erie

Pretty good, I'd be happy with that outcome, but happier if we swapped out Lias Andersson for Valimaki at #20 (he goes to 'Lumbus 4 picks later). Doing that would allow us to take Brannstrom (#28) or Timmins (#31) with the #27 pick, or just stick with JAD there. Either option is pretty good.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Bingo. Thomas looks like he can top out as a high-end 2C to me, and I could see him being in the NHL in a couple years. I'm hoping he falls to us and we take him.

For those that are high on Poehling, have you been able to watch him play? The highlights that you find of him tend to be of goals he gets through deflections. There's not much out there that highlights his shot or playmaking ability. Does anyone have any thoughts on what his upside would be?

Yeah, that's going to be mostly Poehling's game. He's a net-front presence, but his shot is pretty good in of itself, even if he doesn't use it all that often. I think he looks a little slow out there, heavy feet, but in the highlights (I'm sure we're talking about the same ones), he seems to get to the right place in time regardless.

He's very similar to Trent Frederic, who earned his own comparisons to David Backes, and that's really the kind of players you're getting in either of them. I know that isn't the sexiest skill in the world, but it is a critical component to any successful PP. As we've seen with Jaskin, it isn't quite enough to make you successful on that alone. But Poehling does have good vision and IQ, and seems to play at a high tempo even with his heavy feet. Good leadership, high compete level, good two-way play, and probably primed for a big year next year with St. Cloud.

My personal opinion is that he will probably be a frustrating player for most people here, even if he does produce. He'll pass instead of shoot too much, he'll choke on some open nets or off a breakaway, and he'll drive to the net less than he's capable of. But at the same time, he'll get 30 points just by hanging out around the net, or driving to it when he feels so inclined.

I think about Poehling in relation to Thompson and Sanford, and while all 3 are big (presumably) centermen, Thompson and Sanford's games aren't necessarily built around their size, but are built around their skill and they just happen to have size as well. For Poehling, he seems to be much more of the "I'm big and I'm going to play a big game" kind of guy. He's ready to crash and bang right now, even if his weight isn't quite there. I don't see the same timidness I see from Thompson and Sanford, I guess is what I'm trying to say. So maybe he's more like Jaskin and Barbashev in that regard.

He seems to be a Blues kind of guy, and so I won't be surprised if we take him, and I'll think that it is a good decision if everyone else is already gone by that point. But that's sort of also my main beef with him: we already have guys that are an awful lot like him. With Rasmussen, you're getting better skill, bigger size, about equal skating, and better production, so even though he is also like our other guys, I'd be more ok taking him because he's got a good chance of being better than anybody else we've got. I don't see the same upside in Poehling, per se, but just because I don't see it doesn't mean it's not there. But in general, I'd like to see us take somebody with a little bit different of a game.

At 20, for my money, I'm praying that Thomas or Andersson fall to us there, if for nothing else than I think their skills complement what Yeo will be trying to do a little bit better than what Rasmussen or Poehling can do. But any of the 4 will be good gets.

Blues0307

May 25, 2009
St. Louis
He seems to be a Blues kind of guy, and so I won't be surprised if we take him, and I'll think that it is a good decision if everyone else is already gone by that point. But that's sort of also my main beef with him: we already have guys that are an awful lot like him. With Rasmussen, you're getting better skill, bigger size, about equal skating, and better production, so even though he is also like our other guys, I'd be more ok taking him because he's got a good chance of being better than anybody else we've got. I don't see the same upside in Poehling, per se, but just because I don't see it doesn't mean it's not there. But in general, I'd like to see us take somebody with a little bit different of a game.

At 20, for my money, I'm praying that Thomas or Andersson fall to us there, if for nothing else than I think their skills complement what Yeo will be trying to do a little bit better than what Rasmussen or Poehling can do. But any of the 4 will be good gets.

The bolded is why I inquired about him. Just by watching highlights, he seems to be the type of player the Blues would take. If I had to assign probabilities to who the Blues will come away with at pick 20, it would be him.

jbron

Apr 27, 2014
West Coast
Also, in the camp that hopes Anderson or Thomas is there at #20.

I hope the Blues go D or trade down if it's Poehling. To me he's slow and at times just absent from the game. Other than size and playing the center position he doesn't have the traits to complement, unless your looking for another #3 center.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
I will say that I walked away from the U18s very impressed with the Mismash-Poehling-Dhooghe line, and the way the three were able to work the puck as a unit in the offensive zone was awesome to watch. Poehling was a huge part of that. I think the potential is definitely there.

I just prefer someone more along the lines of Schwartz/Fabbri/Kyrou, and I think Thomas fits the bill. Andersson less so (he's more of the Steen-Stastny-Barbashev type), but he's still preferable. I will say my feelings between Poehling and Andersson are a lot closer than my feelings about Poehling-Thomas. Any of the three, or Rasmussen, or Kostin.

If we take Kostin at 20, I would consider moving #27 and #51 (or a hypothetical 3rd rounder) to move up and take Thomas as well, assuming he's still around.

LetsGoBooze

Buium or bust
Jan 16, 2012
If we take Kostin at 20, I would consider moving #27 and #51 (or a hypothetical 3rd rounder) to move up and take Thomas as well, assuming he's still around.

LMAO, i was just logging in to say that if we stay put with our picks and somehow end up with Thomas and Kostin after the 1st round i would be a very happy camper. Especially if we can get them at 20 and 27, i just don't know who to pick first, hoping the other one would fall. Such a crazy draft!

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
LMAO, i was just logging in to say that if we stay put with our picks and somehow end up with Thomas and Kostin after the 1st round i would be a very happy camper. Especially if we can get them at 20 and 27, i just don't know who to pick first, hoping the other one would fall. Such a crazy draft!

lol nice. I definitely think you take Thomas first, he's by far the safer of the two picks. You hope everybody is concerned that they haven't seen him play and he's had a bad injury + the Russian factor. I doubt he falls to #27, and we better hope he doesn't end up in Chicago. But yes, if we can get out of there with a top-6 RWer (Kostin) and a top-6 C (Thomas), I'll be thrilled. As much as I've advocated staying pat with our picks or even adding more, that might be the one scenario where I wouldn't blink twice about paying the price to move up.

But yeah, this is going to be very wild.

jbron

Apr 27, 2014
West Coast
It's going to be an interesting draft. With the Blues having picks #20 and #27, Vegas expansion, and the tier of players from #21 through the Blues second round pick at #51 it will be cool to see how it all unfolds.

I expect Rasmussen to be gone by #21 as well as Kostin(if his shoulder is healthy). With Thomas, Anderson, Poehling on the board who would you want at #20? To me it's Thomas then Anderson then Poehling.

A tougher decision might be if Brannstrom is there at #20. Also, Hague
could be in play as well. If it's Thomas and Brannstrom who do you take?

BangarangxRufio

I Blues'd Myself
Nov 29, 2016
STL
lol nice. I definitely think you take Thomas first, he's by far the safer of the two picks. You hope everybody is concerned that they haven't seen him play and he's had a bad injury + the Russian factor. I doubt he falls to #27, and we better hope he doesn't end up in Chicago. But yes, if we can get out of there with a top-6 RWer (Kostin) and a top-6 C (Thomas), I'll be thrilled. As much as I've advocated staying pat with our picks or even adding more, that might be the one scenario where I wouldn't blink twice about paying the price to move up.

But yeah, this is going to be very wild.

I disagree. I think you need to get Kostin if he is on the board at 20. From all ive read he is going to be a great snag that late.

BangarangxRufio

I Blues'd Myself
Nov 29, 2016
STL
it's going to be an interesting draft. With the blues having picks #20 and #27, vegas expansion, and the tier of players from #21 through the blues second round pick at #51 it will be cool to see how it all unfolds.

I expect rasmussen to be gone by #21 as well as kostin(if his shoulder is healthy). With thomas, anderson, poehling on the board who would you want at #20? To me it's thomas then anderson then poehling.

A tougher decision might be if brannstrom is there at #20. Also, hague
could be in play as well. If it's thomas and brannstrom who do you take?

thomas

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
It's going to be an interesting draft. With the Blues having picks #20 and #27, Vegas expansion, and the tier of players from #21 through the Blues second round pick at #51 it will be cool to see how it all unfolds.

I expect Rasmussen to be gone by #21 as well as Kostin(if his shoulder is healthy). With Thomas, Anderson, Poehling on the board who would you want at #20? To me it's Thomas then Anderson then Poehling.

A tougher decision might be if Brannstrom is there at #20. Also, Hague
could be in play as well. If it's Thomas and Brannstrom who do you take?

Thomas, easy. I like Brannstrom, he'd be a good get too if we go defense in the first round (would only be the second time since 2009), but the clear and present need on this team is center. And having Thomas working with Dale Hunter in London, I think he's going to be a heck of a player in a short amount of time. Maybe not Fabbri-esque where he makes a case for himself just a few months after his draft, but he might not be far behind that.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Thomas>Poehling without a doubt. I'm not a huge fan of Poehling and was shocked he was the most voted on the mock draft poll.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Can any of you give a good reason why Jason Robertson isn't ranked higher? I don't watch as much Jr hockey as I used to, mostly just college, USHL and some OHL now, so there are some guys in this draft I've seen none of. So I can't really compare Robertson to some of the guys but when I watched Robertson, he caught me as a guy that I'd typically expect to rank in the 10-20 range. The kid just oozes hockey sense IMO. Reminds me of Schwartz in that way - he doesn't blow you away with any particular skill but when you combine the skills and the suburb hockey sense, you get a damn fine player.

And he certainly produced too. 42 goals and 81 pts in 68 games is pretty impressive for a 2nd year OHLer...but even more impressive when you take into account the complete lack of scoring talent on his team. The next highest goal scorer? 26. The next highest in points? 51. He led his team in scoring by 30 pts. He was THE GUY the opposition had to try to shut down each night yet he still put up very good point totals.

So can someone that's seen all of these guys tell me why he's ranked in the 25-35 range? As from what I've seen, he easily should be in consideration at 20 at the very least.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Can any of you give a good reason why Jason Robertson isn't ranked higher? I don't watch as much Jr hockey as I used to, mostly just college, USHL and some OHL now, so there are some guys in this draft I've seen none of. So I can't really compare Robertson to some of the guys but when I watched Robertson, he caught me as a guy that I'd typically expect to rank in the 10-20 range. The kid just oozes hockey sense IMO. Reminds me of Schwartz in that way - he doesn't blow you away with any particular skill but when you combine the skills and the suburb hockey sense, you get a damn fine player.

And he certainly produced too. 42 goals and 81 pts in 68 games is pretty impressive for a 2nd year OHLer...but even more impressive when you take into account the complete lack of scoring talent on his team. The next highest goal scorer? 26. The next highest in points? 51. He led his team in scoring by 30 pts. He was THE GUY the opposition had to try to shut down each night yet he still put up very good point totals.

So can someone that's seen all of these guys tell me why he's ranked in the 25-35 range? As from what I've seen, he easily should be in consideration at 20 at the very least.
I remember reading that he needs to work on his skating. One regular poster even used the word slow, but that could be an exaggeration. As a team looking to get faster, I don't think Robertson is the best option.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Yeah i've heard Robertson's skating is not impressive at all. You could be looking at a guy like Jaskin who's got some decent offensive instincts but can't do anything with them due to his lack of footspeed.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL

IA, I like Robertson...a lot. His skating sucks, but you know what...so did Backes' in 2003. (Yes...it sucked...this isn't hindsight, it was a major weakness 14 years ago, I distinctly remember). His hands however are great. I'd take him at 27 in a heartbeat. HOWEVER, I still think this draft is going to be a lot like 2012, in that the steals of the draft are going to come from the defense. I think the Blues would be best served taking the top two blue-liners on their board at 20 & 27 rather than choose from 2nd/3rd line tweeners at forward. If we can grab Brannstrom, Foote or Hague I'd be very, very happy.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
IA, I like Robertson...a lot. His skating sucks, but you know what...so did Backes' in 2003. (Yes...it sucked...this isn't hindsight, it was a major weakness 14 years ago, I distinctly remember). His hands however are great. I'd take him at 27 in a heartbeat. HOWEVER, I still think this draft is going to be a lot like 2012, in that the steals of the draft are going to come from the defense. I think the Blues would be best served taking the top two blue-liners on their board at 20 & 27 rather than choose from 2nd/3rd line tweeners at forward. If we can grab Brannstrom, Foote or Hague I'd be very, very happy.
Good post. I'm in total agreement. Ideally I'd like Foote and Brannstrom, but I doubt both slip by Toronto. I'd be okay with Brannstrom/Hague or Foote/Hague as well.

jbron

Apr 27, 2014
West Coast
McKenzies Final Rankings

#18 Kostin
#19 Poehling
#20 Foote
#21 Thomas
#22 Vaakanainen
#23 Norris
#24 Yamamoto
#25 Hague
#26 Ottinger
#27 Ratcliffe
#28 Timmins

Anderson #13, Brannstrom #29, Suzuki #12

BangarangxRufio

I Blues'd Myself
Nov 29, 2016
STL
McKenzies Final Rankings

#18 Kostin
#19 Poehling
#20 Foote
#21 Thomas
#22 Vaakanainen
#23 Norris
#24 Yamamoto
#25 Hague
#26 Ottinger
#27 Ratcliffe
#28 Timmins

Anderson #13, Brannstrom #29, Suzuki #12

I would LOVE to have Foote!
I would also like Lind at #27

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Yeah i've heard Robertson's skating is not impressive at all. You could be looking at a guy like Jaskin who's got some decent offensive instincts but can't do anything with them due to his lack of footspeed.

Yeah, I've read the scouting reports too. But how many of you have actually seen Robertson play? I'd describe his skating as average. Choppy and not great acceleration but I don't see it as a fatal flaw by any means. As for the Jaskin comparison, I can see what you're saying but I recall Jaskin in Jrs - he tore up the Q because he was a man amongst boys. Simply overpowered the competition. Robertson has good size at 6'2" but he beats the opposition with his skills and smarts, which is a lot more translatable at higher levels IMO.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Yeah, I've read the scouting reports too. But how many of you have actually seen Robertson play? I'd describe his skating as average. Choppy and not great acceleration but I don't see it as a fatal flaw by any means. As for the Jaskin comparison, I can see what you're saying but I recall Jaskin in Jrs - he tore up the Q because he was a man amongst boys. Simply overpowered the competition. Robertson has good size at 6'2" but he beats the opposition with his skills and smarts, which is a lot more translatable at higher levels IMO.

Just brief snippets so i'm definitely not on expert on him by any means.

Yeah i've heard Robertson has some good hockey smarts, so perhaps the Jaskin comparison was a little unfair. I still think he needs to improve his skating quite a bit to be an NHLer.

bluemandan

Ya Ma Goo!
Mar 18, 2008
Thomas>Poehling without a doubt. I'm not a huge fan of Poehling and was shocked he was the most voted on the mock draft poll.

I was too, then people started comparing him to Backes and I got it.

I mean, I don't agree with it, but I get it. People love Backes, and if we could get Backes 2.0 people would be thrilled.

But what about someone better than Backes 2.0? How about Turgeon 2.0? Tarasenko 2.0? Unger, Sutter, Berenson, Federko 2.0?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad