2017 Draft Predictions/Preferences

Status
Not open for further replies.

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
I don't really get the appeal of trading down. If you look at the Blues history and Armstrong's, trading down almost never works in the first round. Better players can be found within the range of the original pick and the nearly acquired one.

I think this draft is different though. There are a lot of players that will go in the 2nd round that I will have probably liked just as much as the guy taken at 27.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I think this draft is different though. There are a lot of players that will go in the 2nd round that I will have probably liked just as much as the guy taken at 27.

I agree that too.

I might have biased opinion, but Joni Ikonen will be another Sebastian Aho type of player in this year draft. In late 2nd round he'll be steal.

Could Ruzicka be another pick for in late 2nd round?

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
I agree that too.

I might have biased opinion, but Joni Ikonen will be another Sebastian Aho type of player in this year draft. In late 2nd round he'll be steal.

Could Ruzicka be another pick for in late 2nd round?

Hey Ranksu

I like Ikonen too but I bet the Blues would need to use 27 in order to get him. IMO I doubt he'll be around at 51.

I'd like the Blues to use 27 on Chytil. I like his upside a lot.

I got to watch Ruzicka in the OHL a few times this year and I'm not too impressed. He has decent skill and very good size but I just don't see the drive necessary to be a good NHLer. Very inconsistent player and lazy at times.

I see a lot of mocks have Mismash going to the Blues in the 2nd round. I'd like this pick a lot. If he's not available then I'd like to see the Blues roll the dice with Morand, Elvenes or Entwhistle.

Hey Ranksu how much do you like Vaakanainen and where do you see him going?

Last edited:

Daley Tarasenkshow

Schennsational
Nov 7, 2012
St. Louis MO
Hey Ranksu

I like Ikonen too but I bet the Blues would need to use 27 in order to get him. IMO I doubt he'll be around at 51.

I'd like the Blues to use 27 on Chytil. I like his upside a lot.

I got to watch Ruzicka in the OHL a few times this year and I'm not too impressed. He has decent skill and very good size but I just don't see the drive necessary to be a good NHLer. Very inconsistent player and lazy at times.

I see a lot of mocks have Mismash going to the Blues in the 2nd round. I'd like this pick a lot. If he's not available then I'd like to see the Blues roll the dice with Morand, Elvenes or Entwhistle.

Hey Ranksu how much do you like Vaakanainen and where do you see him going?

Entwistle looks good from what I've seen. Wouldn't mind that pick at all. Alex Formenton is someone else who I like and I think he has a lot of potential.

Mishmash is a good player I just wonder if he has as much upside as some of the other guys that may be available.

Blues0307

May 25, 2009
St. Louis
Entwistle looks good from what I've seen. Wouldn't mind that pick at all. Alex Formenton is someone else who I like and I think he has a lot of potential.

Mishmash is a good player I just wonder if he has as much upside as some of the other guys that may be available.

Formenton in the 2nd wouldn't be a bad pick IMO, especially with how young he is. My hope, though, is that BArmy has a 2nd round defenseman in mind with a high upside, since he's so adept at finding defensemen in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, and we don't have a pick in the 3rd. Puck moving defensemen is one of the strengths of this draft.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003

The more I read on Mismash, the more I would take him with our 27th pick. Produced against college teams and a 18 year old.

I think his offensive upside is better then most of the centers from picks 20-35. Most tend to be 200 foot players, which fits in the barbashev role. He is more offensive and has a higher ceiling. He also improved as the year went on.

Daley Tarasenkshow

Schennsational
Nov 7, 2012
St. Louis MO
The more I read on Mismash, the more I would take him with our 27th pick. Produced against college teams and a 18 year old.

I think his offensive upside is better then most of the centers from picks 20-35. Most tend to be 200 foot players, which fits in the barbashev role. He is more offensive and has a higher ceiling. He also improved as the year went on.

I think it would depend who is available. I wouldn't be upset with picking Mismash because I love his grit and toughness.

LetsGoBooze

Buium or bust
Jan 16, 2012
Has anyone seen Necas play much? I really like his compete level and energy he brings on every shift. He actually reminds me of Schwartz. My question is, how good is his actual shot? Every highlight video for the most part is him setting teammates up left and right with amazing passes, but the videos also lack showing him beat a lot of goalies with clean shots. I was just wondering if these shots were just left out or maybe his shot isn't really all that great?

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Has anyone seen Necas play much? I really like his compete level and energy he brings on every shift. He actually reminds me of Schwartz. My question is, how good is his actual shot? Every highlight video for the most part is him setting teammates up left and right with amazing passes, but the videos also lack showing him beat a lot of goalies with clean shots. I was just wondering if these shots were just left out or maybe his shot isn't really all that great?

Funny you say that he brings it every shift, because everything I've read about him is the exact opposite. Has the ability to be dominant, and also the ability to be completely invisible. He's been criticized as a perimeter player and someone who isn't willing to engage or compete for pucks that aren't in open ice. I don't necessarily see the Schwartz comparisons, because Necas' game isn't built around possession in the same way that Schwartz's is.

That said, his upside is there, and his skills and his shot aren't what I would be worried about. He's several years away from being an NHL player, but when he arrives he's likely to be pretty decent. With as skilled as he is, I would have liked to have seen more production out of him, particularly at the WJCs.

LetsGoBooze

Buium or bust
Jan 16, 2012
So Morty, what is your short list of players (besides Patrick and Hischier) you would package both our picks to move up and take? if any?

I don't want to get into a discussion of the actual cost of trading into the top 5 vs the top 10 and so on etc...

I just want to know, if we could package both our 1st round picks and move up, who in your eyes would it be worth?

blklab

May 31, 2017
Would you trade 20, 113 & 130 to move up to pick 15?

I just did a draft simulation and would love to get this option with what was left on the board!

I did the trade to NYI for the 15th pick because Casey Mittelstadt was still on the board.

So here is what I got

15- Casey Mittelstadt
27- Martin Necas
51- Stelio Mattheos
175- Grant Anderson
206- Santeri Virtanen

I know this would never happen but I would take this and run away happy.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011

I just did a draft simulation and would love to get this option with what was left on the board!

I did the trade to NYI for the 15th pick because Casey Mittelstadt was still on the board.

So here is what I got

15- Casey Mittelstadt
27- Martin Necas
51- Stelio Mattheos
175- Grant Anderson
206- Santeri Virtanen

I don't think 113 & 130 is enough to move from 20 to 15. It would probably take our second, with maybe something else coming back to us.

Again though, whether or not to move up is a draft day decision. The framework of a deal might be laid out in advance (Rundblad for Tarasenko), but it is determined by who is left on the board.

If we are talking about moving up, then I expect we'll be aggressive in our attempts to move up for Juuso Välimäki. He's pretty consistently ranked in the 12-18 range, but I've heard that we're extremely high on him. Yet another LHD though, when we already have 3 quality LHD prospects.

Last edited:

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
I don't think 113 & 130 is enough to move from 20 to 15. It would probably take our second, with maybe something else coming back to us.

Again though, whether or not to move up is a draft day decision. The framework of a deal might be laid out in advance (Rundblad for Tarasenko), but it is determined by who is left on the board.

If we are talking about moving up, then I expect we'll be aggressive in our attempts to move up for Juuso Välimäki. He's pretty consistently ranked in the 12-18 range, but I've heard that we're extremely high on him. Yet another LHD though, when we already have 3 quality LHD prospects.

Based upon the way the mocks are developing, I would definitely trade our second and 20 to move to 15. Lias is likely to still be on the board at 15.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
So Morty, what is your short list of players (besides Patrick and Hischier) you would package both our picks to move up and take? if any?

I don't want to get into a discussion of the actual cost of trading into the top 5 vs the top 10 and so on etc...

I just want to know, if we could package both our 1st round picks and move up, who in your eyes would it be worth?

If I'm moving up, I'm going after Pettersson. He's underweight right now, but even if it takes him a few years to tack on 20 lbs, it will be well worth the wait once he's there. Necas is a good option too, don't get me wrong, it just depends on whether or not we think he would succeed on smaller ice, and be able to put together consistent games. But like I said, the puck skills are there. Maaaaybe Tippett, if only because I see some Phil Kessel in him and we need right-handed shots. His one-dimensional game scares me, but his upside is a lot higher than a guy like Andersson who has a high floor and is almost pro-ready but probably tops out in the mid-6.

But in general, I'm hoping one of Andersson, Thomas or Suzuki drops to us at 20 and the trade-up question becomes a moot point. If we need to move up to get one of them, it's not my preferred option but I would be ok with it. Just as a matter of principle, I believe in the shotgun approach: the more picks you keep, the better chance you have of finding something quality in there. I'm not convinced that Pettersson/Necas are going to be like SO much better than Thomas/Andersson/Suzuki that it would be worth it to give up a chance at a 2nd rounder (Ikonen?) to get them into a Blues uniform. Maybe it is. I'm glad someone else is making that decision and not me :laugh:

I'm also still in favor of Rasmussen, although he feels riskier than the other guys. Very boom/bust with him; he'll either be Joe Colborne or Nick Bjugstad pre-injury. Or we go the defenseman route and take whoever of Brannstrom, Valimaki, Foote, Liljegren, or Hague that is still available around then.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO

So here is what I got

15- Casey Mittelstadt
27- Martin Necas
51- Stelio Mattheos
175- Grant Anderson
206- Santeri Virtanen

If NYI is willing to make that trade, then yeah I'd pull the trigger on that. Getting Virtanen in the 7th would be huge.

As long as we walk away with at least 3 picks in the top 100, and preferably we can get that number up to 4 (Gunnarsson trade?), I'll be happy.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
I don't doubt we would have to give up more to get a top5 pick. My comment was more on the side of using 21/57/71/or even 20 plus both 1st to get a high pick would not devistate our team. I think we could end up 8-13 range using those assets though. Plus it would go a long way with Parayko$ and improving at a position of need.
-OR-
I am delusional to the values because I REALLY want Tippett and will justify almost anything(outside of giving up 91/27/15/17/55/49) to get him. That is more likely :laugh:

Jets fan coming in peace, looking to see what Blues fans are after in the draft. If Valimaki is off the board at 13, I'd be really interested in trading for 20+27. I want to upgrade our defense prospect depth. I'd like 2 of Brannstrom, Vaakanainen and Olivier-Joseph. I think those picks would be enough to accomplish that.

I do have my doubts though, that Tippett will be available at 13. Are there other desired players that Blues fans would like to move up for?

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis
Jets fan coming in peace, looking to see what Blues fans are after in the draft. If Valimaki is off the board at 13, I'd be really interested in trading for 20+27. I want to upgrade our defense prospect depth. I'd like 2 of Brannstrom, Vaakanainen and Olivier-Joseph. I think those picks would be enough to accomplish that.

I do have my doubts though, that Tippett will be available at 13. Are there other desired players that Blues fans would like to move up for?
As Morty said above, Pettersson is the guy I'd want if he's still available at that spot

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003

I wouldn't move both of our first to move up to 13. I don't think the difference is so great that I would move both first to move up.

Maybe into the top 8, but I don't see a team moving back. To be honest, I think pick 13 is on the same tier of prospect that will be available at 20. So I would rather have two picks in the 20s then one in the early teens.

I would even consider moving back a few spots to pick up an extra 2nd.

There is just a ton of depth in picks 12 - 50. It is a very large tier based on team preferences, the Blues could get a very solid center at 20. Which is one of the reasons you would want to move back.

So, No. I don't think you will find a Blues fan that would be willing to pay that price to move up to 13.

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
As Morty said above, Pettersson is the guy I'd want if he's still available at that spot

I think Petersson will be off the board but Andersson will still be there at the Jets' pick.

Andersson should be gone by the 20th pick so, if we want him, we probably need to trade up. Lias is generally thought of as a very safe pick to make the NHL and might even be able to play some next year...almost certainly the following year. I like Andersson b/c he really isn't a long term project and is projected to be able to contribute during our core stars' current contract periods.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
I think Petersson will be off the board but Andersson will still be there at the Jets' pick.

Andersson should be gone by the 20th pick so, if we want him, we probably need to trade up. Lias is generally thought of as a very safe pick to make the NHL and might even be able to play some next year...almost certainly the following year. I like Andersson b/c he really isn't a long term project and is projected to be able to contribute during our core stars' current contract periods.

Yep, that's really the selling point with him: quick payoff. I doubt his upside (maybe he's a 40-point guy at some point), but he'll probably be there sooner rather than later. Is he better than Barbashev? I kind of doubt it.

For a guy like Thomas, who I think can match Horvat, I think he's closer than a lot of people might realize. The more I think/read/watch, the more Thomas is the guy I want at #20.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
I've been on board with taking Thomas for a while. I think he has the highest upside out of anyone who will be available at 20 (barring any major fallers).

jbron

Apr 27, 2014
West Coast
Thomas for sure at #20 if he is available. Lets hope it happens.

There are only three prospects that I would trade up for.

Glass or Vilardi as I think they will be productive 2 way centers in the NHL. Both will be gone early, so I don't see either happening.

If Suzuki were to fall after #15, hopefully the Blues would work the phones to see what could be done. I do think he's special and worth a trade up.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
I feel like I have done more research on this draft than I have ever done in the past and I still feel like the best move would be to try to trade up. I still think center is our biggest need and the 1st round and chalked full of them.

The way I see it is there are four classes of centerman in this draft

Class 1: Hischier and Nolan
Class 2: Glass and Vilardi
Class 3: Mittelstadt, Necas, Pettersson and Andersson
Class 4: Rasmussen, Suzuki, Kostin and Poehling

Right now I think it is safe to assume that one or more of the centers from class 4 would reach us at the 20th pick. However I am not convinced any of these players project to be anything better than a low end 2C, more likely a 3C which we have a surplus of.

I think if we package our 20th and our 2nd round pick to get into the low teens we would have a legitimate shot at someone from class 3. I think these players have a much better shot of becoming higher impact top 6 centers.

Now if somehow one of the centers from class 2 falls into the latter part of the top10 that is when I would consider moving both first. IMO though it is very unlikely that one of them falls past the 5th or 6thOA and even if they did we would still have to find a willing trading partner in those spots. So I am going to stay focused on group 3

Out of group 3 I would prefer Elias Pettersson, just watching film on him he reminds me in a lot of ways of Niklas Backstrom. He needs a little polishing for sure but the kid oozes skill.

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis
I have to admit I'm not too high on Pettersson as others here, so I'm curious to hear what your thoughts are on him? Maybe I'm analyzing him wrong.
To be honest that's largely based on what I've read about him, as I haven't had many opportunities to watch highlights. If what I've read is true I'd love to add his offensive ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad