Tatar

Mar 26, 2011
FL300

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I'm fine if they skip lil but makar? No way

Personally I don't love Makar as much as most of HF. I'm too scared of a small guy dominating a bad league. He doesn't really face anyone that can challenge him. I just worry that when the rest of the league can at least skate half as fast as him and carrying the puck isn't essentially free that his smaller stature will become an issue. I see most guys in this draft as having one big question mark. Makar has two. His skating is great but I prefer Liljegren to him easily and even Brannstrom by a smidge. I'd definitely take Necas or Petterson first as well.

Tatar

Mar 26, 2011
FL300
Personally I don't love Makar as much as most of HF. I'm too scared of a small guy dominating a bad league. He doesn't really face anyone that can challenge him. I just worry that when the rest of the league can at least skate half as fast as him and carrying the puck isn't essentially free that his smaller stature will become an issue. I see most guys in this draft as having one big question mark. Makar has two. His skating is great but I prefer Liljegren to him easily and even Brannstrom by a smidge. I'd definitely take Necas or Petterson first as well.

Agree about Makar. Waiting to see how he measures, interviews and performs at the combine before I update my final list

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I'm fine if they skip lil but makar? No way

I'd have a bigger issue passing on Glass.

Not sure if we're allowed to share if it's just 1 player, but I have similar concerns to Pronman on Makar. I also like the defenseman projected to go in the 7-15 range much better next year. Merkley is a much better version of Makar, IMO.

19.Cale Makar, D, Brooks (AJHL) DOB: 10/30/98 | Ht: 5' 11.25" | Wt: 180 2016-17 stats: 54 GP | 24 G | 51 A Makar was lights-out this season in the AJHL, including a dominant performance at the World Junior A challenge. Small, old (he's a late 1998 birth date) defensemen from Junior A don't get me excited that often, but Makar deserves a ton of recognition, thanks to his talent level. Makar skates very well, with a good burst out of each stride. He's aggressive jumping into the play, and he can pressure opponents with his speed. He's also a highly skilled puck handler, with high-end offensive instincts. He can make tough offensive plays with consistency and quarterback a power play with the best of them. His defense was passable at the Junior A level, but scouts are concerned about him checking pros. His size is the main issue, as he has a short wingspan and can struggle to win battles or close gaps. He wasn't even on his Junior A team's penalty kill for a good chunk of the season. He has as much upside as any defenseman in the class, and though he might seem like a guy I usually tend to like, there's a bunch of alarm bells going off in my brain at the same time. He is committed to UMass-Amherst for next season. Ranking explanation: There has been no prospect from this draft class I've thought about more than Cale Makar. As discussed in his profile, an old, small defenseman from the AJHL raises serious flags. But at the same time, it's hard not to acknowledge his elite skill/skating combo, and the dominance he displayed at various Jr. A competition levels all season. The issue becomes how do I balance these factors. How do I balance the fact that his point production in the AJHL was equivalent to Robert Thomas (ranked directly below him) when they were the same age, but the latter was in the OHL? When these questions arise, I look back on research I did about balancing scouting and statistical analysis. In that column, I discussed how simply considering an average of scouting and stats opinions produces better results, and there is no better time for that then in Makar's case. The scouting analysis based on what he showed at various lower levels this season looks like a clear top-5 pick. The statistical analysis, adjusting for his late birth date and league quality, suggests a middle-round pick, as his production in the AJHL at age 17 was along the lines of Kyle Radke and Kevin Connauton and at age 18 this season, it was along the lines of Brinson Pasichnuk. However, while those worrisome statistical comparables stand out -- and give me reason to think simply being dominant the AJHL is not enough to be a first-rounder -- I caution against it, due to sample-size issues. There are only so many good, young defensemen to come out of that league, so there isn't much against which to measure Makar. This is why the scouting side of this equation is important, because the skills can be evaluated at a more frequent sample than the amount of statistical comparables you can acquire. And those skills look very promising. Nevertheless, the inherent risks I've pointed out cannot be ignored, and the chances of a significant pace and defensive adjustment to higher levels are real. With all that in mind, slotting him in at No. 19 is more than fair.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
That is one of the worst mock drafts I have seen. There is no way that Makar and Glass are going to be picked that low. Just terrible.

I think that mock is right about Vegas.
I think McPhee will pull the trigger on Necas or Petterson if he likes one of them. Maybe even Kostin

McPhee's had a lot of success picking Europeans with his drafting history in Washington (1998-2013). In his last 6 drafts with that organization, his top pick was always a European born player, who was playing in Europe.

Burakovsky (23), Filip Forsberg (11), Kutznetsov (24), Marcus Johansson (26), Niklas Backstrom (4), Semyon Varlamov (23), Ovechkin (1), Alexander Semin (13), Anton Gustavsson (21). Gustafsson was the only wasted high Euro pick.

He landed some good North American players like Green, Carlson and Wilson high... but I think getting burned on NA guys early in his career (like Steve Eminger (12), Krys Beech (7), Sasha Pokulok (14), Sutherby (26) and Joe Finley (27)) led him to lean towards taking Europeans.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
I think that mock is right about Vegas.
I think McPhee will pull the trigger on Necas or Petterson if he likes one of them. Maybe even Kostin

McPhee's had a lot of success picking Europeans with his drafting history in Washington (1998-2013). In his last 6 drafts with that organization, his top pick was always a European born player, who was playing in Europe.

Burakovsky (23), Filip Forsberg (11), Kutznetsov (24), Marcus Johansson (26), Niklas Backstrom (4), Semyon Varlamov (23), Ovechkin (1), Alexander Semin (13), Anton Gustavsson (21). Gustafsson was the only wasted high Euro pick.

He landed some good North American players like Green, Carlson and Wilson high... but I think getting burned on NA guys early in his career (like Steve Eminger (12), Krys Beech (7), Sasha Pokulok (14), Sutherby (26) and Joe Finley (27)) led him to lean towards taking Europeans.

That's fine about Vegas but Detroit is not passing on Glass or Makar for Necas. That is just plain stupid.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
If we got Strome with a third I'd be elated but he'll be gone mid second round. Depending who's on the board at 38 I might take him there but I'm really hoping for Joshua Norris with the second round pick

Yes to Zetterlund, but not in the third round. He's a 6/7 pick.

Huuuuge no to Ivanov in the third round.

Agreed on Joshua Norris I would love to get him in the second round.

Bloomfield*

Feb 15, 2017
I hope vegas picks Pettersson because he will get to play in nhl right away while red wings will bury him in ahl for 3 years

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I hope vegas picks Pettersson because he will get to play in nhl right away while red wings will bury him in ahl for 3 years

Just because they are a new franchise doesn't mean they will have 0 standards for player development.

Putting him directly in the NHL would be bad for his development and pretty foolish, IMO.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
This is a really weird comment. I'm a huge Pettersson fan, and he is not even remotely NHL-ready. Not skill-wise, and certainly not physically. I don't think he'll be ready next year, either.

A guy like Necas or something, sure. But Pettersson? Okay.

Bloomfield*

Feb 15, 2017
Red wings always overdevelop their prospects to the point that they suck. Pettersson will be picked before 9th though.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Larkin spent one season at the University of Michigan, And then turned pro. The only reason why Larkin didn't spend a season in Grand Rapids was due to the injury of Pavel Datsyuk.

Larkin was the best forward at presison and he played at national team USA

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
you think that little 14 year old boy can play in the NHL right now?

He said he could play but he'd get hurt. I don't think Detroit is going to pick a kid 9th overall and put him in a situation where he's at increased risk of injury. That is not good asset management, and beyond that it would be irresponsible.

There's no rush, no player in this draft is going to make such an impact to reverse the direction of the club. Let the kid ripen and let the tank roll on.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Red wings always overdevelop their prospects to the point that they suck. Pettersson will be picked before 9th though.

I kind of hope that Pettersson is taken before the 9th pick I pretty much feel that on Defense that Heiskanen, Makar and Liljegren will go in the top 8 here so that means possibly one of Glass or Mittelstadt or possibly Vilardi could fall too us.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I kind of hope that Pettersson is taken before the 9th pick I pretty much feel that on Defense that Heiskanen, Makar and Liljegren will go in the top 8 here so that means possibly one of Glass or Mittelstadt or possibly Vilardi could fall too us.

If we got Vilardi, I would be elated. I think if he stayed healthy all year he could have challenged for the #1 pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad