Prospect Info: 2017 Draft Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Interesting that he has been high on Hague all year, and man that writeup of Rob Thomas sounds like exactly what I'm looking for.

Move back a couple (2-3) spots? Even that could be risky. I think he surprises on draft day. Agree though he needs to shoot more, but he does have a reasonably good shot.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
Brock didn't exactly say Tippet was terrible

"Tippett has the best shot of any player in the OHL"
"He's a pure goal scorer who possesses speed and skill as a North/South player,"
" Great velocity on his wrist shot. Tremendous ability to protect the puck and use defenders as screens coming down the wing"
" I see Tippett possessing a Peter Bondra esque type of ability and potential at the NHL level. "

and so on

He has some concerns on playing w/o the puck and finding teammates. There are many reasons to really like Tippett. He is among the top 5 rated players all year. Do we need another winger? not so much but that doesn't mean Tippett isn't a great prospect in this years' draft and maybe better than a few of our wingers

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really

"He's a pure goal scorer who possesses speed and skill as a North/South player,"
" Great velocity on his wrist shot. Tremendous ability to protect the puck and use defenders as screens coming down the wing"
" I see Tippett possessing a Peter Bondra esque type of ability and potential at the NHL level. "

and so on

He has some concerns on playing w/o the puck and finding teammates. There are many reasons to really like Tippett. He is among the top 5 rated players all year. Do we need another winger? not so much but that doesn't mean Tippett isn't a great prospect in this years' draft and maybe better than a few of our wingers
But he questioned his hockey sense, which IMO is the kiss of death. I guess your mileage may vary.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I loved that Suzuki write-up. I'm really surprised he has him behind Tippett with the way he gushes there.

Most everything said there I pretty much already knew about Suzuki, so nothing too surprising to me. One thing in particular I like about what Brock says about Thomas is that he is not a perimeter playmaker, and is willing to go through traffic.

Stark contrast from watching Petterson highlights, where he makes a lot of beautiful passes but is also pretty much untouched.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Most everything said there I pretty much already knew about Suzuki, so nothing too surprising to me. One thing in particular I like about what Brock says about Thomas is that he is not a perimeter playmaker, and is willing to go through traffic.

Stark contrast from watching Petterson highlights, where he makes a lot of beautiful passes but is also pretty much untouched.

No more soft hockey

Go to the net or go to another team.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Hey man sorry but I have never been a fan of perimeter hockey

Dont want goons but want physical players willing to go to high traffic areas and can play the cycle with skill

So not glendenings before that's mentioned but yes less Damien Brunner.

Brunner was willing to go to the net and the boards, he just wasn't good at it and got pushed around pretty easily. I think Nyquist has been the biggest offender for not going to the dirty areas, but he was getting away from that the last quarter of this season. Sheahan, too.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Brunner was willing to go to the net and the boards, he just wasn't good at it and got pushed around pretty easily. I think Nyquist has been the biggest offender for not going to the dirty areas, but he was getting away from that the last quarter of this season. Sheahan, too.
It has also been a major knock on Larkin for most of his (brief) time here thus far. The kid just puts on the afterburners, gets forced wide, and neither gets to a good scoring location, nor settles things down enough to take advantage of a teammate in a good scoring location.

Hopefully he (and others) continue to improve in that area.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Hey man sorry but I have never been a fan of perimeter hockey

Dont want goons but want physical players willing to go to high traffic areas and can play the cycle with skill

So not glendenings before that's mentioned but yes less Damien Brunner.

It's difficult to project if players will be able to be effective in traffic as they physically mature and gain weight. We were fortunate that Datsyuk and Zetterberg were incredibly skilled players that developed the ability to be strong on the puck and do it. We've also seen Nyquist and Tatar, who are skilled players, but are much easier for teams to limit to being perimeter players. Think it's fair to say we have seen it work out both ways.

It's an added bonus if a guy (who is skilled) is already willing to go into traffic, and effective in traffic at 17 years old. But if they aren't, I don't think it's necessarily the end of the world.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
It's difficult to project if players will be able to be effective in traffic as they physically mature and gain weight. We were fortunate that Datsyuk and Zetterberg were incredibly skilled players that developed the ability to be strong on the puck and do it. We've also seen Nyquist and Tatar, who are skilled players, but are much easier for teams to limit to being perimeter players. Think it's fair to say we have seen it work out both ways.

It's an added bonus if a guy (who is skilled) is already willing to go into traffic, and effective in traffic at 17 years old. But if they aren't, I don't think it's necessarily the end of the world.

I am not knocking any one specific player but rather commenting on the type of hockey I prefer.

I like the prototypical Canadian style of int'l hockey

Skill combined with the ability to own and control the boards and cycle

Those are the types of forwards I covet

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
I am not knocking any one specific player but rather commenting on the type of hockey I prefer.

I like the prototypical Canadian style of int'l hockey

Skill combined with the ability to own and control the boards and cycle

Those are the types of forwards I covet

So like Fedorov, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, the Sedins, Alfredsson, Kopitar... those types of players?

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Skill combined with ability to own and control the boards and cycle. That is literally the definition of the Sedin's game at their peak.

I also said in the post that you didn't reply directly to I like players who play physical hockey and drive the net.

We're you trying to insinuate that I said they couldn't be European? As those were the only players you mentioned.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada

and so on

I know everyone wants a center/Dman, but if one were to have faith in Larkin/Cholo/AA/Hronek all continuing to progress into legit top4/6 pieces, Tippet could be an amazing pick.

Mantha, Svechnikov and Tippet flanking the pure speed of AA and Larkin would give opposing teams fits. The possibility of 3 wingers at 6'2"+ and the potential to score 30+ paired with the burning speed of our young centers is tantalizing.

Picking Tippett certainly goes against conventional wisdom and would require a leap of faith but I think he would be an interesting fit with our current group of young guys. At the end of the day I'm not a scout and I'm not advocating for him over anyone in-particular... I just think he is a more intriguing fit than he gets credit for and would complement our young players well.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
I know everyone wants a center/Dman, but if one were to have faith in Larkin/Cholo/AA/Hronek all continuing to progress into legit top4/6 pieces, Tippet could be an amazing pick.

Mantha, Svechnikov and Tippet flanking the pure speed of AA and Larkin would give opposing teams fits. The possibility of 3 wingers at 6'2"+ and the potential to score 30+ paired with the burning speed of our young centers is tantalizing.

Ignoring everything about Tippett, you think AA is still possibly going to play C on this team? Or that Larkin is reasonably capable of turning into a real 1C? No setup, but those seem to be... minority opinions, and by a fairly wide margin.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Ignoring everything about Tippett, you think AA is still possibly going to play C on this team? Or that Larkin is reasonably capable of turning into a real 1C? No setup, but those seem to be... minority opinions, and by a fairly wide margin.

I'm here suggesting Tippett would be an intriguing piece if AA/Larkin can eventually be top 6 centers and your jumping to conclusions about "real 1Cs" - Did you even read my post?

I said, It would take a leap of faith in assuming guy's like Larkin/AA can progress into top 6 caliber centers.

I mean my entire post was "Tippet is a more intriguing fit than he gets credit for and would complement our young players well." Then you deliberately ignore that and challenge an opinion I never shared of Larkin being a 1C. Furthermore, I can't speak to what AA/Larkin will peak as but if the majority thinks (by a wide margin) that we can't extract anymore from these guys why are they both on everyone's untouchable list?

To me Tippett fits in well with what we got going on here. If he is the BPA when the wings pick they should not be afraid of him just because he is not a center/Dman.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
I'm here suggesting Tippett would be an intriguing piece if AA/Larkin can eventually be top 6 centers and your jumping to conclusions about "real 1Cs" - Did you even read my post?

I said, It would take a leap of faith in assuming guy's like Larkin/AA can progress into top 6 caliber centers.

I mean my entire post was "Tippet is a more intriguing fit than he gets credit for and would complement our young players well." Then you deliberately ignore that and challenge an opinion I never shared of Larkin being a 1C. Furthermore, I can't speak to what AA/Larkin will peak as but if the majority thinks (by a wide margin) that we can't extract anymore from these guys why are they both on everyone's untouchable list?

To me Tippett fits in well with what we got going on here. If he is the BPA when the wings pick they should not be afraid of him just because he is not a center/Dman.

Whoa there, you suggested that if we're optimistic about the development of AA and Larkin, then Tippett would be an intriguing pick. I asked if you see AA developing as a C, or Larkin developing as a 1C, two things that you implied and that would seem to be pretty clear prerequisites to a winger being an 'intriguing fit'. I didn't, in any vague way, "challenge your opinion" about Larkin being a 1C, I pretty clearly asked if that's what you thought he was going to become. Speaking of failure to read. I'm really sorry that asking you to clarify pissed you off, and that asking you questions about what you literally posted made you think I somehow hadn't read the very thing I was asking about. :rolleyes:

If the Wings are going to take yet another winger on a team full of wingers, they better be operating on more than a random pipedream that AA, who's still regularly getting benched for minor errors and getting hounded for not playing enough defense as a winger, and Larkin who regressed badly last season, are actually going to be legit top 6 Cs and that one of them is a 1C.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Whoa there, you suggested that if we're optimistic about the development of AA and Larkin, then Tippett would be an intriguing pick. I asked if you see AA developing as a C, or Larkin developing as a 1C, two things that you implied and that would seem to be pretty clear prerequisites to a winger being an 'intriguing fit'. I didn't, in any vague way, "challenge your opinion" about Larkin being a 1C, I pretty clearly asked if that's what you thought he was going to become. Speaking of failure to read. I'm really sorry that asking you to clarify pissed you off, and that asking you questions about what you literally posted made you think I somehow hadn't read the very thing I was asking about. :rolleyes:

If the Wings are going to take yet another winger on a team full of wingers, they better be operating on more than a random pipedream that AA, who's still regularly getting benched for minor errors and getting hounded for not playing enough defense as a winger, and Larkin who regressed badly last season, are actually going to be legit top 6 Cs and that one of them is a 1C.

Well if I thought Larkin or AA can be a 1C I would have said so....

I'm hopeful they can be top 6 caliber, more specifically 2nd line centers. In this case, yes, Tippett would be a great fit.

Your over analyzing a pretty simple concept that if these young players continue developing, Tippet would fit in. This isn't about Larkin or AA. Its about Tippett fitting in with what we already have but thanks for derailing the prospect convo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad