Prospect Info: 2017 Draft Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Heiskanen has been the most consistent, steady D in this draft. He has good offensive contributions both in zone and off the rush. He can pass skate and is better defensively than anyone else in the draft.

Former head scout of Mckeens and former NHL scout Grant Mccagg is worth a follow on twitter, enjoy reading his free articles.

Here's from an article on Heiskanen:

NHL Scouts’ Comments

Oct. 15, 2016 – May be the best skater in the draft. He could be a top-ten guy.

Jan 4, 2017 – Great feet. He’s the real deal. Very poised, smart…has some offensive upside too. Knows how to find lanes, good passer on the power play but they have him paired with the wrong guy in Saarijarvi instead of Valimaki…who can shoot. He should have had lots of assists at the World Juniors.

Mar. 27, 2017 – Great skater, thinks the game very well, dishes thepuck better than anybody in the draft, he thinks quickly and executes quickly. He defends well, he’s got good gap control. He’s a better skater than Juolevi and can execute quicker than Juolevi. Reminds me some of Duncan Keith.

https://recrutes.ca/profile/miro-heiskanen/

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
The draft simulator keeps putting us in the 7-11 range for most part. I don't mind that actually since if we're not draftig in the top-2, there are many players I like who will be available.

If we somehow get lucky and draft in the top-2, I prefer 2nd overall tbh. I do think Patrick is better, but his injuries scare me, so I prefer another team make the choice between the two guys and we get the left over.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Do we gamble on Liljegren? I think that's becoming the pressing question. It seems more and more likely that he'll be around when we draft.

If we're truly drafting 7-8-9-10, I would go for it. It's definitely a boom/bust pick, but he's got upside you shouldn't ignore at that draft position (and in this kind of a draft).

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
Here's my order:

1- Nolan Patrick
2- Nico Hischier
3- Elias Petterson
4- Cody Glass
5- Miro Heiskanen
6- Timothy Liljegren
7- Casey Mittelstadt
8- Nick Suzuki
9- Juuso Valimaki
10- Gabriel Vilardi

One of these guys will be available for sure.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Here's my order:

1- Nolan Patrick
2- Nico Hischier
3- Elias Petterson
4- Cody Glass
5- Miro Heiskanen
6- Timothy Liljegren
7- Casey Mittelstadt
8- Nick Suzuki
9- Juuso Valimaki
10- Gabriel Vilardi

Wouldnt mind Petterson at all. Seems to be a very smart player just needs to add weight and strength.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
Here's my order:

1- Nolan Patrick
2- Nico Hischier
3- Elias Petterson
4- Cody Glass
5- Miro Heiskanen
6- Timothy Liljegren
7- Casey Mittelstadt
8- Nick Suzuki
9- Juuso Valimaki
10- Gabriel Vilardi

Thanks for the list.

Mine:

1. Hischier
2. Patrick
3. Mittelstadt
4. Heiskanen
5. Petterson
6. Liljegren
7. Glass
8. Brannstrom
9. Necas
10. Vilardi

drwings40

Dec 27, 2015
Former head scout of Mckeens and former NHL scout Grant Mccagg is worth a follow on twitter, enjoy reading his free articles.

Here's from an article on Heiskanen:

https://recrutes.ca/profile/miro-heiskanen/

With question marks around Liljegren, maybe Heiskanen can be the No.1 selected D at the draft. I like him a lot, although I have some doubts how his offense will translate to the NHL.

I dont't want to go with a top10, but first and foremost raw talent is what we need. So my top5 would be:

1. Patrick
2. Hischier
3. Mittelstadt
4. Pettersson
5. Heiskanen/Vilardi

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Yeah I'm still a fan of Liljegren, he's had a rough year, but you can still see that the talent is there. His skating is really good and I think he's just got higher upside than any of the other D.

Heiskanen continues to grow on me though. He's just a good player and I honestly think he ends up the first D taken this year. I think teams will view him similarly to Juolevi. Safe, smart, good pick. Lily could bust but if he's there where we pick I'll trust Hakan to make the right call.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Lily could bust but if he's there where we pick I'll trust Hakan to make the right call.

Yup, that'd be the biggest thing for me. If we draft Liljegren it will have meant we got a blessing from Hakan to do so. Hasn't had a hit in awhile (hard when you don't get picks in first 2 rounds) but I trust his judgement over any of our other scouts.

The last time he was given a 1st round selection it was our best 1st round pick in the last 17 years.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Yeah I'm still a fan of Liljegren, he's had a rough year, but you can still see that the talent is there. His skating is really good and I think he's just got higher upside than any of the other D.

Heiskanen continues to grow on me though. He's just a good player and I honestly think he ends up the first D taken this year. I think teams will view him similarly to Juolevi. Safe, smart, good pick. Lily could bust but if he's there where we pick I'll trust Hakan to make the right call.

My gut tells me that the Wings would take Heiskanen over Liljegren just to make sure that they have an NHL player with their first round pick. I haven't watched a ton of Heiskanen but I do find his game to be a bit more mature than Liljegren at this point. I am a big fan of mobile defensemen and would be equally happy with either. I also don't think that 2016 and 2018 alone are going to solve our issues on defense.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Do the Wings have what it takes to get 2 of Heiskanen/Liljegren/Makar...

and get Dahlin :sarcasm:

I've seen some suggest trading back and picking up more picks. That could work out alright.

I also wouldn't hate packaging picks and trading up for a late 1st and trying to grab Hague, Valimaki, Brannstrom, or Suzuki.

Heiskanen+Hague or Heiskanen+Valimaki with our first 2 picks would be pretty awesome, IMO.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
If Red-Wings takes Heiskanen their 1st round pick what would be best route to develop Heiskanen for NHL defenceman.
Is it let him play TOP4 minutes in HIFK ( best scenario because i'm not high on that Finnish junior players goes to play in CHL or USHL)
or bring him to north-america if Saginaw or Flint drafts him in CHL import draft.

Heiskanen is promising dman but still bit raw he has to improve his physicality and defensive awareness before he's AHL or NHL ready.

But if Red-Wings takes Heiskanen they'll have still need for Center.
As we know Heponiemi is really promising young center but his small physical stature is a concern.

Heponiemi is project pick and he needs at least 2 more years in Swift Current and season or two in AHL before he's NHL ready.
So if you was red-wings GM who you would take ( Heiskanen or center like Hischier, Patrick, Vilardi, Pettersson, Andersson) 1st round pick.

Last edited:

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
I haven't followed the draft too closely, but have picked up interest as the date grows closer. The three names that interest me right now:

Pettersson
Liljegren
Heiskanen

1) Pettersson: you can't teach vision/creativity and elite skill, and from my understanding he has it in spades. Size, particularly weight, seems to be separating him from being a top 3 lock to potentially there whenever we pick. I've also heard he has an older brother that is also a twig though, which is a bit worrisome. Some people simply can't hold significant weight, so I get the risk. But Detroit needs to be thinking long term and not thinking this is going to be an overnight turn around. As a result, I'd take my chances on a high reward selection like this.

2) Lilegren. Long thought of as the top blueliner, but it's not all coming together. This pick scares me a bit. Tools are essentially useless without the toolbox. I have not watched him enough to say for myself that something is missing, but the reports certainly cause concern. An elite blueliner needs to be able to think the game at an elite level. If there's concern at this stage that's a red flag for me. If we're picking later and he's there then I'd be interested in the risk, but maybe not if the other two are available. With that being said, we need elite talent, so sometimes you have to take your chances.

3) Heiskanen. Maybe the safest pick? The reports read well: seems to do everything well and has NHL future. As much as we need elite talent, we also need depth talent. At the very least we want a Top 4 defencemen from this draft. Like I said, this wont and shouldn't be a one year turnaround. He seems like a safe, yet solid pick who thinks and executive the game well. If you can get a bonafide Top 4 blueliner around 10 that's not the end of the world.

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.
If Red-Wings takes Heiskanen their 1st round pick what would be best route to develop Heiskanen for NHL defenceman.
Is it let him play TOP4 minutes in HIFK ( best scenario because i'm not high on that Finnish junior players goes to play in CHL or USHL)
or bring him to north-america if Saginaw or Flint drafts him in CHL import draft.

Heiskanen is promising dman but still bit raw he has to improve his physicality and defensive awareness before he's AHL or NHL ready.

To be honest, I found his defensive awareness and positioning to be the best part of his game. Really stood out to me in that regard in the world juniors.

I think for the organisation that drafts him, the AHL would be preferable. That way they have a direct influence on his development, can frequently talk to him and have him train the way they want to.

I could see Heiskanen wanting to stay in Finland, though. Playing professionally at home generally sounds better than playing in some North American town, often "in the middle of nowhere" in the AHL or CHL.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
Zach Gallant has 6 assists in 3 playoff games. They're up 3-0 I'd like to know his faceoff percentage. I thought we could get this guy in the 3rd, but I think he's rising too much for that. Excellent faceoff guy to compliment PMD.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Zach Gallant has 6 assists in 3 playoff games. They're up 3-0 I'd like to know his faceoff percentage. I thought we could get this guy in the 3rd, but I think he's rising too much for that. Excellent faceoff guy to compliment PMD.

Like him enough to take with a second? Or just looking at the OHL, are there other non-first round projected players you would want over him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad