2017 Draft Discussion - Sabres Pick 8th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/a...kar-has-had-meteoric-rise-up-the-draft-boards

PROSPECT NEED TO KNOW: MAKAR HAS HAD METEORIC RISE UP THE DRAFT BOARDS

Cale Makar, D – Brooks Bandits (AJHL): One of the most dynamic defensemen in the 2017 draft class, Makar will likely do battle with Finland’s Miro Heiskanen as the first blueliner off the board. On top of a record-setting performance at the World Jr. A Challenge this season (he had five points in the tournament opener for Canada West), Makar has steered his Bandits to an Alberta Jr. A League title and now he’s gunning for more.

Brooks is currently playing at the Western Cup, which brings together the champions (and a host team) from the Jr. A leagues in the western provinces. And Makar and the Bandits will not sit back – that’s not their style.

“Whenever I get the opportunity to rush the puck, I’m going to take it,” Makar said. “In Brooks, we’re not a chip-and-chase kind of team – we want possession.”

That attitude is one of the reasons Makar is rated so high for the draft, despite his 5-foot-10, 175-pound frame. An excellent skater and puckhandler, he put up 75 points in 54 regular season games, then added 18 in 13 playoff contests. It’s been a meteoric rise.

“At the beginning of the season, my goal was to be a first-round pick,” he said. “I try not to look too much at rankings because you never know what can happen, but it’s been really cool.”

Cousin Mark Logan helped bring Makar to Brooks and influenced the defenseman to go the NCAA route (Logan is at R.I.T. right now). Makar is committed to UMass, a school that showed interest in the youngster from the start. Once there, Makar believes he will benefit from the development curve and off-ice training he’ll get with the Minutemen.

“It was pretty easy to say yes,” Makar said.

In the meantime, the Calgary native will continue on his quest for more hardware. If he and his boys can win the Western Cup (or even come second), they’ll move on to the national Jr. A championship – the RBC Cup. Don’t bet against them.

2017 DRAFT STARS

Lias Andersson, C – HV71 (SHL): There’s no experience like championship experience and Andersson finished his SHL season with a bang, helping HV71 to a Swedish League title. The competitive two-way center had two points in the seven-game series win over Brynas, while centering the second line.

Joel Teasdale, LW – Blainville-Boisbriand (QMJHL): An all-situations player that scouts call a “coach’s dream,” Teasdale has been at his best when the Armada have been closing out their past two playoff series. His skating needs work, but with 15 points in 16 games, he’s helping his draft cause.

Ben Mirageas, D – Chicago Steel (USHL): Mirageas played for a dump-and-chase Bloomington team for most of the season and languished. But a trade to Chicago saw his offense jump dramatically and now the Providence College commit is making a nice playoff run with the Steel. Smart and athletic, Mirageas needs to get tougher to play against.

Eeli Tolvanen, LW – Sioux City Musketeers (USHL): One of the most dangerous offensive players in the draft, Tolvanen has continued his exploits in the USHL playoffs, helping Sioux City to the Western Conference final. The Boston College commit with the deadly release has five points in five games for the Musketeers.

Owen Tippett, RW – Mississauga Steelheads (OHL): With eight points in his past eight playoff games, Tippett is heating up at the right time. The Steelheads will need all hands on deck when they take on Erie in the OHL final and Tippett’s combination of speed and a powerful shot can certainly help from the second line.

SatanwasaSlovak

Jan 18, 2013
Malmö, Skåne
Every word you wrote is wrong. So that's impressive.

I just saw Lias Andersson play goddam good hockey, on a winning team in the playoffs against men in the Swedish Hockey League.

Not only that, he's big, he's fast, he's helluva dangler and can score goals, and that's at his young age.

He's also son of Niklas Andersson, former Rangers-player.

This highlight is from the semi-final.

He's going to be a great hockey-player. Been a long time since i saw a young swedish player play like this against men in their draft-year.

SatanwasaSlovak

Jan 18, 2013
Malmö, Skåne
D-men usually take several years before becoming something in the NHL.

Better to trade down acquire a defenseman that way and take some of the good d-men in second and third-round instead.

Deevo

Jul 25, 2006
Halifax, Nova Scotia
D-men usually take several years before becoming something in the NHL.

Better to trade down acquire a defenseman that way and take some of the good d-men in second and third-round instead.

This year kind of proved otherwise.

2016 draft: McAvoy played solid minutes this year in the playoffs, Chychrun had a good year for Arizona, and we can assume that Sergachev and Joulevi will be making their respective teams in fall 2017.
2015 draft: Hanifen, Provorov, and Werenski all played full seasons this year, with Werenski getting a Calder nom.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
I just saw Lias Andersson ...

Defensively he's the best forward I've seen at his age. Reminds me of Zetterberg but with more grit. He has the skills to dangle but really picks his moments. His focus and discipline is what impresses me the most. He was prepared to do what it takes to win and I'd love to get a Buffalo player with experience from playing hockey in Jönköping/HV71. That championship team was really something special.

If we trade Reinhart I'd really like us to pick Lias at 8th.

He might not get as many points as a guy like William Nylander, but he'll win you more games.

SatanwasaSlovak

Jan 18, 2013
Malmö, Skåne
This year kind of proved otherwise.

2016 draft: McAvoy played solid minutes this year in the playoffs, Chychrun had a good year for Arizona, and we can assume that Sergachev and Joulevi will be making their respective teams in fall 2017.
2015 draft: Hanifen, Provorov, and Werenski all played full seasons this year, with Werenski getting a Calder nom.

True, but let's keep a reminder of how things can go if you rush defensemen into the league way too early. Early impressions might be good, but in the end they fail.

Look at what happened to Myers. The second he actually had to play defense he started to playing scared.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
If they stay at 8 I would be happy with one of Makar, Liljegren, Mittlestadt, Necas or Glass.

Pettrsen intrigues me but he is even lighter then Necas. Tippett has great gifts but his brains worry me.

Dropping down a bit to take Valimaki or Brannstrom would be a good option as well

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Defensively he's the best forward I've seen at his age. Reminds me of Zetterberg but with more grit. He has the skills to dangle but really picks his moments. His focus and discipline is what impresses me the most. He was prepared to do what it takes to win and I'd love to get a Buffalo player with experience from playing hockey in Jönköping/HV71. That championship team was really something special.

If we trade Reinhart I'd really like us to pick Lias at 8th.

He might not get as many points as a guy like William Nylander, but he'll win you more games.

I'm here as well. I've got Lias Andersson right on the cusp of Vilardi, Mittelstadt, Glass and ahead of Pettersson, Necas.

If Reinhart is traded for Hanifin or similar, and Antipin is signed, and the top 7 goes Hischier, Patrick, Heiskanen, Makar, Glass, Vilardi, Mittelstadt....
I'm on board for Lias Andersson at 8. He looks like a player, maybe the only player in this draft, that will step into the NHL on day 1.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Reminder: This thread is for discussing the current draft. Let's not derail into discussing other players.
There are other threads for that. Thanks.

The Blunder Years

Nov 11, 2013
Regardless of our needs, if the new management decides to keep the puck and we leave with one of Makar/Liljegren/Middlestadt/Tippett/Andersson I would be very happy.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I have this really strong feeling that with Hischier, Patrick and Vilardi off the board at number 6, Vegas will take Rasmussen. McPhee is going to be looking for a tentpole to put in the middle of his franchise, and they don't get much bigger than 6'5". Hopefully that pushes one of Heiskanen or Makar to us, though I doubt it even then.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
I have this really strong feeling that with Hischier, Patrick and Vilardi off the board at number 6, Vegas will take Rasmussen. McPhee is going to be looking for a tentpole to put in the middle of his franchise, and they don't get much bigger than 6'5". Hopefully that pushes one of Heiskanen or Makar to us, though I doubt it even then.

Those guys would have to get past Colorado and Arizona, both of which have spent all (nearly) of their top picks on forwards for years. Give up that dream.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Those guys would have to get past Colorado and Arizona, both of which have spent all (nearly) of their top picks on forwards for years. Give up that dream.

I'm not so sure about either team, to be honest. I can see Colorado going forward once again and Chayka is all about the analytics rather than positional need. Could be some surprising results. All I know is I can't wait to see it play out.

When Colorado was a favorite to have the #1 or #2, it was a foregone conclusion that they would be adding a forward. I think it still could be.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
I wonder where Liljegren is sitting without the mono which derailed his season. The kid has elite skating, passing and a rocket of a shot. I think you take him at 8 and run.

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
I'm not so sure about either team, to be honest. I can see Colorado going forward once again and Chayka is all about the analytics rather than positional need. Could be some surprising results. All I know is I can't wait to see it play out.

Analytics is not just crunching numbers. It is about using ALL available information, numbers, video, coaching, scouting reports, interviews, etc.

With that said, drafts are extremely random. Look at the NFL draft -- a player gets unexpectedly picked early (or one falls) and the draft completely changes from consensus. We've also seen that there is not really a clear cut top 5 (outside of Patrick / Hischer), and there is trouble coming to a consensus on a top 10.

IMO your situation is definitely possible but not probable. I agree that watching the draft will be fun because nobody can tell how it is going to playout.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011

When Colorado was a favorite to have the #1 or #2, it was a foregone conclusion that they would be adding a forward. I think it still could be.

Even then, I saw a few mocks that had Colorado taking Heiskanen at 1 or 2.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Analytics is not just crunching numbers. It is about using ALL available information, numbers, video, coaching, scouting reports, interviews, etc.

With that said, drafts are extremely random. Look at the NFL draft -- a player gets unexpectedly picked early (or one falls) and the draft completely changes from consensus. We've also seen that there is not really a clear cut top 5 (outside of Patrick / Hischer), and there is trouble coming to a consensus on a top 10.

IMO your situation is definitely possible but not probable. I agree that watching the draft will be fun because nobody can tell how it is going to playout.

I completely agree with you, that's why I posted it as a gut feeling and said hopefully this is what will end up happening. :)

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Can anyone tell me why Makar is so much higher rated than Valimaki (non-sarcastic question, I don't watch juniors - youtube highlights dont prove anything)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad