2017 Draft Discussion - Sabres Pick 8th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Monday morning review. At 6 I was feeling pretty good, now I'm not. I figured nico, Patrick were out of reach at 6, and felt good about one of makar heiskanen or Tippett. Now, I doubt those 5 make it. Valimaki liljegren is starting to look like the choice, unless moving up is possible.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I'm not super worried about the draft. The Sabres will either get a chance to draft a good prospect or make a good trade. Whether they do or not remained to be seen.

The NHL draft has trends which are somewhat similar to the NFL draft. In the NFL, players get drafted higher than rated if they play a premium position like quarterback, cornerback, left tackle, or pass rusher. In hockey, it's center then defense then wing then goalie. Look at McKenzie's final 2016 list. PLD and Juolevi went before Puljujarvi and Tkachuk. Keller went before Nylander. 2015, same thing. Strome and Marner go ahead of Hanifin. Provorov and Werenski were picked before their rating. Crouse dropped.

Patrick and Hirschier are locks to go top 3. Glass will get picked before the Sabres pick. So will Vilardi. Someone is going to think hard about Rasmussen, Mittelstadt, Pettersson, and Necas. And maybe someone really likes Tippett's game. And then the duo of Heiskanen and Makar.

If the draft falls like this:

NJ: Hirschier/Patrick
PHL: Patrick/Hirschier
DAL: Vilardi
COL: Heiskanen
VAN: Glass
VGS: Mittelstadt/Necas/Necas/Pettersson
ARZ: Makar

BUF: Now the new GM is there with Owen Tippett, potentially the best goal scorer in the draft, on the board. There will be interest.

I think centers and the two D will get picked ahead of Buffalo's spot, and either Tippett, Mittelstadt, Rasmussen, Necas, or Pettersson will be there. Someone will make a trade with Buffalo for that list.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I'm not super worried about the draft. The Sabres will either get a chance to draft a good prospect or make a good trade. Whether they do or not remained to be seen.

The NHL draft has trends which are somewhat similar to the NFL draft. In the NFL, players get drafted higher than rated if they play a premium position like quarterback, cornerback, left tackle, or pass rusher. In hockey, it's center then defense then wing then goalie. Look at McKenzie's final 2016 list. PLD and Juolevi went before Puljujarvi and Tkachuk. Keller went before Nylander. 2015, same thing. Strome and Marner go ahead of Hanifin. Provorov and Werenski were picked before their rating. Crouse dropped.

Patrick and Hirschier are locks to go top 3. Glass will get picked before the Sabres pick. So will Vilardi. Someone is going to think hard about Rasmussen, Mittelstadt, Pettersson, and Necas. And maybe someone really likes Tippett's game. And then the duo of Heiskanen and Makar.

If the draft falls like this:

NJ: Hirschier/Patrick
PHL: Patrick/Hirschier
DAL: Vilardi
COL: Heiskanen
VAN: Glass
VGS: Mittelstadt/Necas/Necas/Pettersson
ARZ: Makar

BUF: Now the new GM is there with Owen Tippett, potentially the best goal scorer in the draft, on the board. There will be interest.

I think centers and the two D will get picked ahead of Buffalo's spot, and either Tippett, Mittelstadt, Rasmussen, Necas, or Pettersson will be there. Someone will make a trade with Buffalo for that list.

Dallas passing on Heiskanen, just so Colorado can have him? How nice of them

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Currently, I see it breaking like this:

Njd - Patrick
Phi - hischier
Dal - heiskanen
Col - makar
Van - vilardi
Lgk - glass
Ari - Tippett

Leaving buffalo with the crop of mittelstadt Necas valimaki, and some outside reaches like liljegren and vesalainen.

All my top choices are gone before we're up.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Currently, I see it breaking like this:

Njd - Patrick
Phi - hischier
Dal - heiskanen
Col - makar
Van - vilardi
Lgk - glass
Ari - Tippett

Leaving buffalo with the crop of mittelstadt Necas valimaki, and some outside reaches like liljegren and vesalainen.

All my top choices are gone before we're up.

Liljegren is not a reach at #8.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Liljegren is not a reach at #8.

I'm not as sold as him yet. Minimal tape I've seen doesn't show him in his own zone, or executing the break out much, so relying on scouting reports, they don't seem high on this aspect of his game. At this point, id go valimaki over him.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
I'm not as sold as him yet. Minimal tape I've seen doesn't show him in his own zone, or executing the break out much, so relying on scouting reports, they don't seem high on this aspect of his game. At this point, id go valimaki over him.

He's 18, if he was a stud in his own zone he wouldn't make it past 3. Every player where we are picking has warts, he's one of the few with massive upside. He had a disappointing season no question, but this isn't a Grigorenko situation either where the player is seriously lacking in a certain aspect (skating) and will not be able to adapt to the faster pace.

I'm still trying to figure out if he's Tyson Barrie at the next level or if he's Erik Karlsson from 5 years ago.

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
If Heiskanen and Makar are indeed gone, and we do decide to keep the pick...I would be hesitant but I would take Liljegren and be pretty content.

I just have a feeling though, that he is this years Chychrun and ends up dropping to the mid teens. If that is the case and we pass on him, I am hoping for Tippett. His "lack of IQ" where people are basically calling him Virtanen 2.0 is so badly exaggerated it's ridiculous. He would fit like a glove next to Eichel with his speed and shot.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Dallas passing on Heiskanen, just so Colorado can have him? How nice of them

I don't see it like that. I see a lot of the Dallas and Texas Stars where I live. I think they go center.

The big team has Seguin, Spezza, Faksa, and Eakin at center. I think Eakin is gone this off-season. Spezza is OK on their second line but time is ticking. Faksa can probably hold down a center spot in their top nine.

I've seen Dickinson a lot. He's taking a while to develop. He plays a good two-way game in the AHL, and that's where I think he settles in at the NHL level, if he makes it.

And that's it.

Mark McNeill is a 4th line center. There's no one in Texas coming up.

At defense, they've got Klingberg, Lindell, Johns, and Nemeth. Honka is coming up from Texas next season. Every time I've seen him, he's dominated the flow and pace of the game. That's a decent top 4 with a young guy coming in on the bottom pair. Granted, that's not a great situation, but it's better than what they've got at center.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I don't see it like that. I see a lot of the Dallas and Texas Stars where I live. I think they go center.

The big team has Seguin, Spezza, Faksa, and Eakin at center. I think Eakin is gone this off-season. Spezza is OK on their second line but time is ticking. Faksa can probably hold down a center spot in their top nine.

I've seen Dickinson a lot. He's taking a while to develop. He plays a good two-way game in the AHL, and that's where I think he settles in at the NHL level, if he makes it.

And that's it.

Mark McNeill is a 4th line center. There's no one in Texas coming up.

At defense, they've got Klingberg, Lindell, Johns, and Nemeth. Honka is coming up from Texas next season. Every time I've seen him, he's dominated the flow and pace of the game. That's a decent top 4 with a young guy coming in on the bottom pair. Granted, that's not a great situation, but it's better than what they've got at center.

Good points. I retract my previous comment. :)

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Good points. I retract my previous comment. :)

I do overall agree with your point, though. I'd take Heiskanen personally. I just think Dallas is going to take stock in what they've got and go for a center.

I put down Vilardi, but I wouldn't be surprised one bit if they took Cody Glass. He's exactly the type of center they need.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
My off the board pick at 8 is Erik Brannstrom. Assuming Heiskanen and Makar are gone. Brannstrom might be as dynamic as Makar with roughly the same body type. He outplayed Liljegren at the U-18's and looks like he is much further from his ceiling than Liljegren. This is the first I've thought of it, so I haven't thought it all the way through. But he's my sleeper pick as of right now.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
My off the board pick at 8 is Erik Brannstrom. Assuming Heiskanen and Makar are gone. Brannstrom might be as dynamic as Makar with roughly the same body type. He outplayed Liljegren at the U-18's and looks like he is much further from his ceiling than Liljegren. This is the first I've thought of it, so I haven't thought it all the way through. But he's my sleeper pick as of right now.

There's two smaller Swedish defenders I like: Brannstrom and Filip Westerlund.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I do overall agree with your point, though. I'd take Heiskanen personally. I just think Dallas is going to take stock in what they've got and go for a center.

I put down Vilardi, but I wouldn't be surprised one bit if they took Cody Glass. He's exactly the type of center they need.

he's the only forward I want... if we **** this up and don't get a D at 8.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada

I thought you'd be on Michael Rasmussen train!!

In all seriousness, i'm surprised you're not hyping Martin Necas. He's just as good as the last 6' super skilled RW to come out of Czech Republic.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Why not just take a forward at 8 and package our 2 seconds to get back in the first and take a D if the draft doesn't fall in our favour? or just take 3 or 4 D in the second through fourth rounds? Adding another young highly skilled forward isn't the worst thing for this franchise either.

It's not like we need to find a No.1 guy, we already have that.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel

Me too. I think we should all prepare ourselves for the blitz of winger-hysterics and why we should draft Owen Tippett.

Tippett ticks every box for the usual suspects who pound the table for wingers.

I like Westerlund ok as a 2nd round pick maybe. He doesn't really have that explosive skating that I'd want out of a smaller defender.

I've liked the idea of drafting defense in this draft for a long time. There are a lot of defenders I like.

2a/2b: Robin Salo could be a great pick here. Underrated, mobile, does a lot well.
2b/3a: Luke Martin. Big, mobile enough. Does a lot of what Brayden McNabb did well as a prospect.
3a/3b: Filip Westerlund. A projection pick. Could be a Vatanen-type on the right side.

Why not just take a forward at 8 and package our 2 seconds to get back in the first and take a D if the draft doesn't fall in our favour? or just take 3 or 4 D in the second through fourth rounds? Adding another young highly skilled forward isn't the worst thing for this franchise either.

It's not like we need to find a No.1 guy, we already have that.

That's the beauty of being the Sabres GM. You've already got the important players in place.

As Lindholm takes over for Anaheim, I'm cool with #8 as part of a deal for Fowler. Didn't work last year, but I think that was because Murray saw Nylander sliding and didn't want to trade the pick. If #8 comes this year, and the centers and both defenders are gone, the new GM should trade the pick.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2...arget-swedish-defenceman-erik-brannstrom-2017

Let’s address the elephant in the room right away: SHL defender Erik Brannstrom is undersized. He’s listed at 5’10 by Elite Prospects, and there is always more risk involved when drafting a defenceman with size concerns. If you want to take the safe route with the Leafs first round selection, your targeted defencemen at this year’s draft are likely Nicolas Hague or Cal Foote.

Both Hague and Foote carry defensive upside due to their size, but neither player is setting the world on fire in the points department. Foote plays for the Kelowna Rockets of the WHL, and with just 6 goals in 71 games, he’s not much of a scoring threat. Alternatively, Hague finished 14th among OHL defenceman in primary points per game this year, and no scouting service is projecting him to be a top unit powerplay quarterback. After Brannstrom dictated Sweden’s powerplay throughout the recent U-18 tournament, it is quite clear that he has the most offensive upside out of this trio.

He’s also one of the youngest players on the board, as his early September birthday makes him almost a full year younger than Hague, Foote, or Cale Makar. Let’s keep this in mind during our evaluation, as Brannstrom is not as far along in his development curve.

Player Profile: Erik Brannstrom
Brannstrom is your ideal powerplay quarterback. He’s elusive, moves the puck incredibly quickly, and he’s a dangerous scoring threat with either a one-timer or a wrist shot. He dominated at the U-18 tournament, and already boasts 38 games in the Swedish Hockey League.

Brannstrom put up 1.21 points per game in the SuperElit league this season, which is Sweden’s U-20 junior hockey league. This rivals Erik Karlsson’s draft year production of 0.97 points per game, and while we cannot possibly expect him to become the NHL’s best defenceman, this number can also compete with draft-eligible Timothy Liljegren or Flames prospect Oliver Kylington.

Points Per Game Statistics In Super-Elit League (U-20)

Erik Brannstrom (‘16-17): 1.17 ppg
Rasmus Dahlin (‘16-17): 1.06 ppg
Erik Karlsson (‘07-08): 0.97 ppg
Timothy Liljegren (‘15-16): 0.76 ppg
Timothy Liljegren (‘16-17): 0.58 ppg

Dahlin is in the running to be picked 1st overall in next year’s draft, and he’s only seven months younger than Brannstrom. Given his offensive upside, it’s tough to see why Brannstrom is not higher up on draft rankings. NHL Central Scouting ranks him 9th among European skaters, and he ranked 28th in terms of the consolidated draft rankings last month. A lack of size certainly makes this a bit of a risky pick, but Cale Makar is around the same size and sits comfortably within the top 10 on most lists.

Brannstrom earned 35 games in the SHL this year, but only scored 6 points in this span. His teammate Lias Andersson, who I profiled here, simply outplayed him with 19 points in 42 games. However, we must again consider the age difference here, as Andersson was held scoreless in 22 SHL games at Brannstrom’s age last season.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
Liljegren is such a dynamic skater than I think he has a good chance to be a top 4 guy based on that alone. Brannstrom is intriguing too.

Who knows how the top 7 picks shake out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad