2017 Draft Discussion - Sabres Pick 8th

Status
Not open for further replies.

ek93

Dec 28, 2014
New York
So...say Heiskanen and Makar are gone by the time we pick, which is pretty much expected.

If you're taking a D, do you take Valimaki or Liljegren? I feel like Liljegren might be a bit riskier but has more upside. I also feel like Valimaki doesn't get talked about quite enough.

My Cozen Dylan

Feb 21, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
So...say Heiskanen and Makar are gone by the time we pick, which is pretty much expected.

If you're taking a D, do you take Valimaki or Liljegren? I feel like Liljegren might be a bit riskier but has more upside. I also feel like Valimaki doesn't get talked about quite enough.

Liljegren.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
I think the biggest wildcard in the top 10 is Colorado. If they move Duchene for a young dman than they probably look to Glass / Vilardi. Not moving Duchene means that they most likely go defense.
So my preference of course will be a big Colorado trade which hopwfully helps Heiskenen/Makar fall to 8.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I think the biggest wildcard in the top 10 is Colorado. If they move Duchene for a young dman than they probably look to Glass / Vilardi. Not moving Duchene means that they most likely go defense.
So my preference of course will be a big Colorado trade which hopwfully helps Heiskenen/Makar fall to 8.

Duchene has 3 years left before free agency. Does he really affect their decision making on prospects? He's gone in the next few years regardless.

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I think if Makar/Heiskanen are gone you swing for the fences with Liljegren..theres no doubt that mono and then returning too soon from it effected his season. You cant teach that skating and in a shallower draft than normal I think you take the shot vs a potentially 'safer' player who may never hit their ceiling either.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
Duchene has 3 years left before free agency. Does he really affect their decision making on prospects? He's gone in the next few years regardless.

Its solely dependent upon the return; picking up a young defender like Hanifin, Brodin etc means they would look at Glass / Vilardi that fill an immediate post trade need. Deciding to keep the status quo, imo means going Heiskanen as their backend is subpar.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
it's really hard to tell who is the BPA at 8. Might as well just draft for need if the scouts don't have a favourite. I said before that I would be happy with Liljegren. I wish he'd be a standout at the U18 though ...

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
If the clear top 7 is all gone by the time we're up, I hope we trade the pick for defense.

I doubt that they can make a trade for an NHLer while on the clock.

Most of those deals happen beforehand.

The best windows to make a deal like that will be before the expansion draft and then after the expansion draft and before the entry draft starts.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I doubt that they can make a trade for an NHLer while on the clock.

Most of those deals happen beforehand.

The best windows to make a deal like that will be before the expansion draft and then after the expansion draft and before the entry draft starts.

The deals get negotiated all day long during the draft but it's more of an "if this, then this" scenario. It's not uncommon for teams to pull the trigger on a deal they've been negotiating for hours, days or weeks once a certain set of circumstances (like all seven of the guys you want at #8 being off the board) comes together.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
The deals get negotiated all day long during the draft but it's more of an "if this, then this" scenario. It's not uncommon for teams to pull the trigger on a deal they've been negotiating for hours, days or weeks once a certain set of circumstances (like all seven of the guys you want at #8 being off the board) comes together.

If you look at most pick for player deals, they happen before the team is on the clock.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
It looks to me that if Vegas would take one of our two second's to swap picks we have much less to worry about, since the 6 and 7 pick seem to be what makes or breaks most people's liking here.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Question, what would we need to package to get another top15 pick? I saw the NHL mock drafts had Valimaki at around 14th which would be ideal. Do we see any trade with Tampa or the Jets that works for us if Heiskanen and makar are off the table at 8? Then we could get BPA Forward at 8 and then if Valimaki slips to 13-14 we could look at a trade to pick him up as well. Any historical comparisons?

I was thinking something along the lines of Asplund+2nd or 2nds+3rd. Would those be enough to get a 13-14 pick assuming the trade partners also like that option. I could see Tampa taking this possibly?

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas

So if there are a clear 7 like people seem to think, why is anyone trading an NHL defenseman for a pick outside that range?

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
So if there are a clear 7 like people seem to think, why is anyone trading an NHL defenseman for a pick outside that range?

Well, there's a clear top 7 for us and our wants/needs, but not every other team's needs are exactly the same. Carolina wouldn't spend a top ten pick on a defenseman, so they might be willing to trade for the 8 spot if it helps them get a dynamic forward into their farm system. Same goes for a team like Anaheim, Minnesota...etc. It would be like the Schneider trade from a few years back...Jersey badly needed a starting goalie more than they needed anything the #9 overall could deliver them, so they shipped it.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011

Wait, who are the 'clear 7'? Seems to me the closest thing to a consensus is a top 9, and then some even include Liljegren.

Patrick
Hischier
Valardi
Heiskanen
Makar
Mittelstadt
Glass
Tippett
Rassmussen

Now, I hate Rassmussen as a prospect, but there's still a top 8.

I'd be happy with any of those guys, though I could see an argument for best available D if the top 2 are gone.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
Well, there's a clear top 7 for us and our wants/needs, but not every other team's needs are exactly the same. Carolina wouldn't spend a top ten pick on a defenseman, so they might be willing to trade for the 8 spot if it helps them get a dynamic forward into their farm system. Same goes for a team like Anaheim, Minnesota...etc. It would be like the Schneider trade from a few years back...Jersey badly needed a starting goalie more than they needed anything the #9 overall could deliver them, so they shipped it.

Not really considering I'd gladly take Liljegren at 8 and be more than happy with the pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad