2017 Draft Discussion - Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
2:30 in, Coyotes prospect goalie Adin Hill absolutely gets his pants pulled down by Moose Jaw's odd-man rush. My goodness.

I like tall, lanky, slightly-awkward kids like this. If the stick skills of a 5 minute highlight clip are anything like his stick skills in real life, Popa ... Popp ... Poppaguyev ... Popugaev could be my early favorite.

Adin hill is weird, that first prospect camp he looked amazing, every time after I've seen him he's been ok at best.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
The Nichuskin situation reminded me of how legit the Russian factor is. Lot's of folks thought it went away when when oil and the ruble declined, but it didn't.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
The Nichuskin situation reminded me of how legit the Russian factor is. Lot's of folks thought it went away when when oil and the ruble declined, but it didn't.

Yup, it's alive and well.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

Yeah. He just cost some potential 1st round Russians a round or two and some signing bonus cash.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
DM is now blocking Calgary from signing Russians, we're free and clear in AZ :laugh:

Just to be clear, I would have no problem with signing Russian UFAs. I'd even try to persuade some KHLers to come over. If they bolt back home there's no major cost. I just wouldn't trade for a Russian or use a 1st rounder on one.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I''m not enjoying the way this season is shaping up, but there's always a silver lining. The top of this draft has an electric fast 1C in Hischier and a couple of elite right-shots in Patrick and Vilardi. Any of these guys would be great additions.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Thanksgiving Rankings (Mine):
1. Nolan Patrick - dude needs to quit being hurt
2. Gabriel Vilardi - steady in second for now, but Hischier nipping at his heels
3. Nico Hischier - kid really looks good and does everything at high, high speed
4. Nikita A. Popugayev - what's not to like, kid's big, kid's fast, kid can shoot
5. Casey Mittelstadt - love his game
6. Timothy Liljegren - trending down for me, still best D
7. Elias Petterson
8. Michael Rasmussen
9. Nicolas Hague
10. Klim Kostin - not enough tape on him, he's here by reputation
11. Eeli Tolvanen
12. Kristian Vesalainen
13. Callan Foote
14. Martin Necas - need to find more tape on this kid, really, really like him though
15. Owen Tippett - sniper deluxe
16. Lias Andersson
17. Matthew Strome
18. Juuso Välimäki - my surprise Dman who is moving up, playing great
19. Ryan Poehling
20. Cody Glass - my other fast riser, playing great

HM: Nicholas Suzuki, Sasha Chmelevski

Would be nice to have 2 1st Rounders this year - should be able to do that with the trading of Hanzal and Stone.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Honestly, I've seen nothing to suggest we would successfully develop a top flight forward prospect. So even if they trade the pick and the guy goes on to have a great career, they could feel better knowing it wasn't going to happen here.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I'm more concerned about pulling out of the nosedive the team is in. I don't really want to earn a top 3 pick by finishing at the bottom.

tucknroll

Feb 13, 2015
Thanksgiving Rankings (Mine):
1. Nolan Patrick - dude needs to quit being hurt
2. Gabriel Vilardi - steady in second for now, but Hischier nipping at his heels
3. Nico Hischier - kid really looks good and does everything at high, high speed
4. Nikita A. Popugayev - what's not to like, kid's big, kid's fast, kid can shoot
5. Casey Mittelstadt - love his game
6. Timothy Liljegren - trending down for me, still best D
7. Elias Petterson
8. Michael Rasmussen
9. Nicolas Hague
10. Klim Kostin - not enough tape on him, he's here by reputation
11. Eeli Tolvanen
12. Kristian Vesalainen
13. Callan Foote
14. Martin Necas - need to find more tape on this kid, really, really like him though
15. Owen Tippett - sniper deluxe
16. Lias Andersson
17. Matthew Strome
18. Juuso Välimäki - my surprise Dman who is moving up, playing great
19. Ryan Poehling
20. Cody Glass - my other fast riser, playing great

HM: Nicholas Suzuki, Sasha Chmelevski

Would be nice to have 2 1st Rounders this year - should be able to do that with the trading of Hanzal and Stone.

My first overall right now (still early though), Vilardi is smart and great along the boards but i'm not liking the foot speed much.
Hischier is incredible right now (33 points in his last 13 games if i'm remembering correct), Smart and insanely fast, think he needs to get better at faceoffs but everything else blows me away so far from him. One thing this team needs help with is speed with offence, Nico brings a lot of that. Lots of time left in the season though

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
My first overall right now (still early though), Vilardi is smart and great along the boards but i'm not liking the foot speed much.
Hischier is incredible right now (33 points in his last 13 games if i'm remembering correct), Smart and insanely fast, think he needs to get better at faceoffs but everything else blows me away so far from him. One thing this team needs help with is speed with offence, Nico brings a lot of that. Lots of time left in the season though

I agree...it was really close for me, and if Nico continues his current pace he will certainly make me re-think him over Vilardi but over Nolan as well.

At this time though, I really like Patrick's skill set and those big centers who can do everything are hard to come by, even though I love Nico's speed.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Honestly, I've seen nothing to suggest we would successfully develop a top flight forward prospect. So even if they trade the pick and the guy goes on to have a great career, they could feel better knowing it wasn't going to happen here.

I wanted to trade the Strome pick for Sam Reinhart or Leon Draisaitl to let the Sabres or Oilers have Hanifin and we could get back a C already in the league. It's even more appealing now that we see how the staff is handling Strome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad