2017 Draft - 1st Pick: Kailer Yamamoto - Signs ELC

Status
Not open for further replies.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Yammy’s PPG is up from last year. He’s been killing since returning from the world juniors.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
He's on an amazing roll. I really think we have something in him. Funny thing is I think Chia has messed up so much by putting too much stock in big slower players (Lucic, Maroon, Larsson, Gryba ect) but I think he actually realized his errors at the draft and intentionally picked the smallest most skilled player. I think it will pay off big time.

Chef de Cuisine

Mar 15, 2015
He's on an amazing roll. I really think we have something in him. Funny thing is I think Chia has messed up so much by putting too much stock in big slower players (Lucic, Maroon, Larsson, Gryba ect) but I think he actually realized his errors at the draft and intentionally picked the smallest most skilled player. I think it will pay off big time.
how many points in his last x games?

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Wow, he's really picking it up. He really could be the next Gaudreau with much better work-ethic.

I dont know if he'll be the next Gaudreau since Gaudreau is like midget version of Hall in that it's the winger on the line driving offense but I think it's fair to say Kailer, if paired with the right center, can be an effective complement to an offensive line.

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
I dont know if he'll be the next Gaudreau since Gaudreau is like midget version of Hall in that it's the winger on the line driving offense but I think it's fair to say Kailer, if paired with the right center, can be an effective complement to an offensive line.
Kailer probably has the skills set to be a more complete player. If I remember correctly, wasn't he used on the PK as well? pretty impressive for a 19 year old winger. His hockey iq is off the charts.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Actually there are some similarities there. Both smaller guys for the bigs, both without an elite, defining trait. Yamamoto has the better motor and two-way ability, yes, but I'm not sure he ever becomes a more productive player overall (3rd liner, 30-40 points).

Yamamoto has hockey IQ, Yak does not. That's a pretty bad comp IMO.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Yamamoto has hockey IQ, Yak does not. That's a pretty bad comp IMO.

Also Yamamoto actually tries to improve other facets of his game.

Yakupov only wants to shoot the puck. Period. Amusingly, he still sucks at that.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Yamo has the potential to be Eberle with a better 2way game...and that is pretty damn good. His shot reminds me of Ebs infact

JetsOilersfan

Feb 4, 2012
I just hope they take their time with him - DON'T RUSH THE KID. I hated the fact he was up here for 12 games. At least we didnt' burn the first year of his ELC. I say - no matter what - make sure you have enough depth that he literally has to blow people away to make the team next year. Another year of junior will not hurt him. He needs to bulk up a bit and work on some things to be an effective NHL player. Rushing these guys does nothing but hurt them and us.

Reactions: MikeGrier99

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
I just hope they take their time with him - DON'T RUSH THE KID. I hated the fact he was up here for 12 games. At least we didnt' burn the first year of his ELC. I say - no matter what - make sure you have enough depth that he literally has to blow people away to make the team next year. Another year of junior will not hurt him. He needs to bulk up a bit and work on some things to be an effective NHL player. Rushing these guys does nothing but hurt them and us.

Pretty sure he can play in the AHL next year, that’s the next step he needs to take.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005

Pretty sure he can play in the AHL next year, that’s the next step he needs to take.

im fine if he needs ahl time but sending him back to JR would be a terrible idea. he has proven he can completely dominate the game in the WHL he needs to work on his transition to pro hockey.

if I was a betting man id bet he is an oiler starting next year and never sees the AHL. although he might play AHL after the JR season is done potentially.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Actually there are some similarities there. Both smaller guys for the bigs, both without an elite, defining trait. Yamamoto has the better motor and two-way ability, yes, but I'm not sure he ever becomes a more productive player overall (3rd liner, 30-40 points).

They are actually nothing alike.

Yamamoto is similar to Gallagher, a better playmaking version. He does a lot of scoring in tight, plays most of his game around the net, a bit of agitator in his game. Maybe a Parise-lite?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad