2017 Draft - 1st Pick: Kailer Yamamoto - Signs ELC

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeGrier99

May 20, 2017
I hope they keep him away from the team until he is 21/22

I agree, let's hope he has an attitude that is willing to work hard for the long haul. The reports that he seemed to be sulking back in Jr. are troublesome. He only really put up a good stretch of 5-6 games in NHL pre season, if the kid thinks anything other than that he needs to work his tail off to make the best league in the world then he doesn't have a chance.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I'm with JTS. The guy surprised this year, but truly on size alone why would people expect him in the NHl making an impact so soon? Should've been a 3-5 year project when drafted. Heck most guys drafted that late should be in that range.
I know he had an awesome preseason but he should've started with his WHL team...

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
I don't know he'll never get big enough to get any better on the wall than he is currently. He' going to make it on his work ethic and his speed to pucks and he showed both of that during periods of play this year with the oilers. I wouldn' be surprised once he gets over his emotions of going down he'l be in the Nhl when he's 21 at the latest.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
I agree, let's hope he has an attitude that is willing to work hard for the long haul. The reports that he seemed to be sulking back in Jr. are troublesome. He only really put up a good stretch of 5-6 games in NHL pre season, if the kid thinks anything other than that he needs to work his tail off to make the best league in the world then he doesn't have a chance.

I think it's unlikely he was sulking over it, but if it's true that'd be very worrysome. He did have some great preseason games, but had a more difficult time in the last one when the game got more intensive. It was the other way around with Jesse, who played well in his last game, so I think the team took a chance by keeping him up for so long.

If his skills are even remotely as good as some say he should be able to make the Oilers in 1-2 years. I'm not really worried about that. But I have to say that based on what I saw in the WJC I think he's got a long way to become a kind of a player many thought he'd be. He looked nothing like Puljujarvi (or Laine) did a year younger or even Aho at the same age as him. Then again, Dubois didn't really shine last year and he's doing so much better now so it's still early.

Shathar

Jul 23, 2009
Moncton, New Brunswi
I watched only a very little of him at the WJC and he didn't look great. But (I sound like a broken record) I will never believe it has anything to do with sulking. Just can't buy that. You don't get where he is (at his size especially) being like that.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Well Yamamoto was carried off the ice at the end of the semi-final, so I would be surprised if he wasn't healthy enough to play today.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
He's #17, and on the ice right now.

Health-wise in this game he looks OK.

OK, I thought so. Looks slow and unengaged, but the team hardly needs help and if he's hurt I guess no need to push it...

oilers2k10

Yak Don't Back Down
Mar 18, 2010
The thing about Yamamoto is he excels the higher the level of play is..he's not good at scrambly hockey, but a magician when the game is played professionally. If he doesn't become a good NHL player one day he will be great in a European league somewhere

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
His offensive production has been pretty bad at the tournament. Tied for 51st in scoring going into this game. He has no points so far in a 6-0 game.

Up to this point of our prospects

Safin 5gp 1-2-3
Rasanen 5gp 4-0-4
Samorukov 5gp 0-0-0
Yamamoto 5gp 2-1-3

The thing about Yamamoto is he excels the higher the level of play is..he's not good at scrambly hockey, but a magician when the game is played professionally. If he doesn't become a good NHL player one day he will be great in a European league somewhere
Is he? Is stat line back at juniors hasn't been good and he had 3 points in 9 games on the big club. He has had a very dissapointing year overall.

Reactions: Aerchon

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
He's been dreadful this season, but it's a good sign that he's having a good stretch. I hope he bounces back. We're going to need as many quality players on ELCs as possible because Chiarelli has permanently crippled this team.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
He's been dreadful this season, but it's a good sign that he's having a good stretch. I hope he bounces back. We're going to need as many quality players on ELCs as possible because Chiarelli has permanently crippled this team.
I can't decide if our theme should be a song, Up on Cripple Creek, or a saying, up **** creek without a paddle.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
19 points in 8 games since returning from the world juniors. Looks like he’s back to form.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Wasn’t just a cold streak where stuff wasn’t going his way, he wasn’t playing good

In the article above he says himself that he was putting too much pressure on himself. Makes a ton of sense, he is still a young kid and honestly very few expected that he would even last half of TC. He obviously did more than that and even though I see many are changing tune lately, he earned a look in the regular season imho. Coming back to Spokane he knew he should be dominating but it didn't work. Seems that this was something in his head which he figured out (and/or got help figuring out) and in this case it could very well have been a good learning experience for him. 14 pts in 14 GP up to the WJHC, 19 pts in 8 GP from then onward with a 1 goal and 3 (first) assists game yesterday. In these last games he is basically on the same pace as the WHL scoring leader.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad