2017 CL and EL Draw Discussion

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Anyone know what the process of buying CL tickets is? I assume it goes through the home club?

I'll be in London when Spurs play Madrid on Nov 1. Would love to go, but I'm guessing it will not be easy.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Anyone know what the process of buying CL tickets is? I assume it goes through the home club?

I'll be in London when Spurs play Madrid on Nov 1. Would love to go, but I'm guessing it will not be easy.

I think you should be fine at Wembley. Didn´t get individual tickets last year (not that Evilo believes that I was at Wembley), but the 3 game package was only 10 hour waiting online :laugh:

Probably got to become a One Hotspur member though (at least check).

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Confirmed dates:

Matchday 1 – September 13 – Sevilla (H)
Matchday 2 – September 26 – Spartak Moscow (A)
Matchday 3 – October 17 – Maribor (A)
Matchday 4 – November 1 – Maribor (H)
Matchday 5 – November 21 – Sevilla (A)
Matchday 6 – December 6 – Spartak Moscow (H)

Moscow game in September. That's insanely good fortune.

Not so much good fortune that they play away at Leicester and Newcastle before and after though.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Manchester United Champions League Group Draws since 2006

06: Celtic, Benfica, Copenhagen
07: Roma, Sporting, Kiev
08: Villarreal, Aalborg, Celtic
09: CSKA, Wolfsburg, Besiktas
10: Valencia, Rangers, Bursaspor
11: Benfica, Basel, Otelul Galati
12: Galatasaray, Cluj, Braga
13: Leverkusen, Shaktar, Sociedad
14: DNQ
15: Wolfsburg, PSV, CSKA
16: DNQ
17: Benfica, Basel, CSKA

How do they do it every time?

Manuefa

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
There were so many upsets in the Europa League that teams from Pot 4 actually moved up to Pot 2 :laugh:

Here are the pots for tomorrow's draw, teams with (*) are debutants

POT 1: Arsenal (ENG), Zenit St. Petersburg (RUS), Lyon (FRA), Dynamo Kiev (UKR), Villarreal (ESP), Athletic Bilbao (ESP), Lazio (ITA), AC Milan (ITA), Viktoria Plzen (CZE), Red Bull Salzburg (AUT), FC Copenhagen (DEN), Sporting Braga (POR)

POT 2: Steaua Bucharest (ROU), Ludogorets Razgrad (BUL), BATE Borisov (BLR), Everton (ENG), Young Boys (SUI), Marseille (FRA), Real Sociedad (ESP), Maccabi Tel-Aviv (ISR), Lokomotiv Moscow (RUS) , Austria Wien (AUT), Hertha Berlin (GER), Nice (FRA)

POT 3: Astana (KAZ), Partizan Belgrade (SRB), Hoffenheim* (GER), FC Koln* (GER), Rijeka (CRO), Vitoria Guimaraes (POR), Atalanta* (ITA), Zulte Waregem (BEL), Zorya Luhansk (UKR), Rosenborg (NOR), Sheriff Tiraspol (MDA), Hapoel Beer Sheva (ISR)

POT 4: Apollon Limassol (CYP), Istanbul Basaksehir* (TUR), Konyaspor (TUR), Vitesse Arnhem* (NED), Slavia Prague (CZE), Red Star Belgrade (SRB), Skenderbeu Korce (ALB), Zlin* (CZE), AEK Athens (GRE), Lugano* (SUI), Vardar* (MKD), Ostersunds* (SWE)

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Some interesting facts about Bilbao, they haven't signed anyone for 2 years now. They started today's match with 10 out of 11 players from their youth team. They have played in Europe for 8 out 10 years and 4 years in a row.

Yet, bottom/mid table teams from the EPL continue to out spend them like no tomorrow.:laugh::handclap:

Lol even better.

MJG

Sep 18, 2007
Somewhere
Am I the only one who finds it crazy that tv coverage has an impact on the drawing of groups? It seems insane

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Of the teams in at the start, Zenit or Arsenal should be favorites.

Don't really rate most of Milan's signings tbh.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Hertha & Koln play the kind of well-organized defensive football that should do them well in this competition. Though Hertha will soon have the midfield talent to play a much more attractive style...if Dardai has it in him...

Will be interesting to see how far Nagelsmann takes that Hoffenheim team in this competition.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Of the teams in at the start, Zenit or Arsenal should be favorites.

Don't really rate most of Milan's signings tbh.

I like Kalinic a lot, Bonucci is a huge get, Biglia is a nice pick up, and when he's fit I really rate Musacchio. Silva seems interesting though I don't know as much about him, ditto Conti. RiRo & Calhanoglu will at the very least help their set piece threat; and if used properly could be good additions all around.

I think they did pretty well given how many new players were brought in, though some are over-rated. I'll be very curious to see how Montella does shaping that crew.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
You think Milan will take EL seriously? Remember, starting this season the top 4 in Serie A make the CL, no more playoffs for them and they gained an extra spot

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Poor APOEL too.

That could've been Slavia, whose stadium's just a few blocks from me, if they hadn't sucked **** like the **** team they are. Just another reason to dislike them :laugh: But come on, post Pot 4 teams have got to feel like losers. For most of them it's gotta be about the prestige really.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
You think Milan will take EL seriously? Remember, starting this season the top 4 in Serie A make the CL, no more playoffs for them and they gained an extra spot

Depends on how big a splash they want to make and how well things are going in the league. They should have the depth to do something in europe and crack the top 4...if they gel well.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Depends on how big a splash they want to make and how well things are going in the league. They should have the depth to do something in europe and crack the top 4...if they gel well.

You can also argue their need to improve their personal club coefficient (if it means anything for them), as their current coefficient would barely get them in Pot 3 in the CL draw

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
That could've been Slavia, whose stadium's just a few blocks from me, if they hadn't sucked **** like the **** team they are. Just another reason to dislike them :laugh: But come on, post Pot 4 teams have got to feel like losers. For most of them it's gotta be about the prestige really.

CSKA got a decent draw out of pot 4. They can realistically compete with Basel and Benfica for the second play off spot

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
People continuing to underrated Portuguese football on HFB. Benfica is a solid team and is not an easy opponent for anyone.

Sadly, Arsenal should be some of the favourites to play for the 4th place trophy for Europe, yay! My body is ready for random villages in Ukraine, Greece, and Suisse.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
People continuing to underrated Portuguese football on HFB. Benfica is a solid team and is not an easy opponent for anyone.

Looks like everyone who ventured a guess had them going through the group anyway. This for a team that hasn't made it out of the group stage four of the past five years. Implying that they are one of the better pot 1 teams to draw isn't underrating them.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Looks like everyone who ventured a guess had them going through the group anyway. This for a team that hasn't made it out of the group stage four of the past five years. Implying that they are one of the better pot 1 teams to draw isn't underrating them.

Granted I mentioned them by name, I was talking about Portugal as an entity. Really underrated domestic league and strong national team IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad