2017 CL and EL Draw Discussion

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Good draw for Zulte-Waregem. Don't think they are expecting to go far in this competition so with Lazio, Nice and Vitesse they won't have to travel very far and get attractive matchups for the fans.

Just hope that the Lazio and Nice fans aren't traveling in large numbers as well...

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
OM is a team gunning for a bigger project. They signed a good coach in Rudy Garcia, not so good in tactics, but a true leader of man with authority, which is very useful in Marseille.
Anyway, they have a very nice attack and are looking to re-inforce it : Payet, Germain, Thauvin, with Sanson and Lopez behind them (worth noting Lopez is struggling to start the year however). Luiz Gustavo at 6. Problem is on defense. Mandanda is washed up (his backup is much better), Amavi will start at LB and I don't know where he stands after his big injury. Sakai plays RB and he's not that great. At least he tries hard. In central D, they have Rami, who's decent but hardly more and Rolando, who's awful.

This is a team that is beaten in midfield. If you manage to beat their midfield (hardly easy) and put pressure on their D, you're going to win. If not, their offense will score on you.

That said, many of these players have arrived since january, and it'll take time to gel. If they do and play well defensiely as a team, they could be extremely dangerous.
They're also looking at a big name striker (Jovetic, Bacca, Giroud, Diego Costa or Milik have been targeted) and a CB. They have one week to finalize it.

Telegraph just linked Divock Origi (your favorite!) to Marseille as well. Think he is more realistic than any of those other options.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Telegraph just linked Divock Origi (your favorite!) to Marseille as well. Think he is more realistic than any of those other options.
I don't have much against Origi. I just think he was a good young footballer that Lille sold high.
As soon as he signed with Liverpool, some Pool fans (especially one...) said he was going to be a star, while I rated his talent differently.

Turns out that so far, I'm pretty dead on. He is a good footballer, but nothing special. How crazy to think I rated someone out of L1 lower than some posters around here... :sarcasm:

gnr25

May 22, 2008
Ottawa
With the way Koln are playing this season, they may be fighting to avoid relegation. Around the two matches against Crvena Zvezda they are @ Hannover on Sept 24th and vs. Leipzig on Oct 1st. Then @ Schalke and vs. Freiburg in December, with a game @ Bayern after the Freiburg match. Arsenal even have games @ Everton and City after their two games with Crvena Zvezda.

There is hope yet for Crvena Zvezda and Rijeka, though not too much for Partizan and none for Vardar.

Arsenal should win their group.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I don't have much against Origi. I just think he was a good young footballer that Lille sold high.
As soon as he signed with Liverpool, some Pool fans (especially one...) said he was going to be a star, while I rated his talent differently.

Turns out that so far, I'm pretty dead on. He is a good footballer, but nothing special. How crazy to think I rated someone out of L1 lower than some posters around here... :sarcasm:

I mean he was on a crazy hot steak at the end of 15/16 until he had that injury where against Everton where Funes Mori tried and succeeded to hurt him. He rushed back and hasn't been the same since. He is capable of putting together a good stretch but is not a natural finisher and goes cold for long periods as a result.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Yes, he's streaky and doesn't have the IQ to be anything special once his speed and power is limited (either by injuries or defensive schemes).

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Yes, he's streaky and doesn't have the IQ to be anything special once his speed and power is limited (either by injuries or defensive schemes).

I just remember the tackle that broke his leg and Funes Mori slapping and kissing his Everton badge on the way to the tunnel after getting his red card.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
He was developing speed, power, and great instincts through the middle, then ever since he got his leg broken all he does is run to the wide channels to hold the ball up. Kinda sad.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
There is hope yet for Crvena Zvezda and Rijeka, though not too much for Partizan and none for Vardar.

Zvezda will have their chances, Rijeka got a manageable group with a glamor tie too...but it seems they might sell 1-2 more players now that they are out of the CL. However not sure what to think of AEK, they were one of the tougher Pot 4 teams in the draw but Olympiakos weren't that much better than Rijeka so by logic AEK should be manageable

Vardar not only got a tough group but its also relatively unattractive too for the public's perspective. I doubt they care but it would have been cool for Vardar to get an Arsenal/Milan type team in Skopje. Maybe I am too defeatist but if I supported a team that rarely gets into Europe + has little chance of advancing, I'd rather face the teams from the big leagues rather than teams from mid-level leagues :D

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
I know Lazio fans have a fascist reputation, is the same true of Nice as well?

They have the Brigade Sud Nice that was forbidden by the French authorities some years ago but still operates clandestinely, much smaller scale than the Irriducibili of course, but still quite established in the fascho-hool scene.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
With the way Koln are playing this season, they may be fighting to avoid relegation. Around the two matches against Crvena Zvezda they are @ Hannover on Sept 24th and vs. Leipzig on Oct 1st. Then @ Schalke and vs. Freiburg in December, with a game @ Bayern after the Freiburg match. Arsenal even have games @ Everton and City after their two games with Crvena Zvezda.

Arsenal should win their group.

Honestly Köln didn't look that bad today.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Spurs will make it IMO

Agreed. Making it to the EL should be an achievable goal for them.

That doesn´t make or break it.

Expect better than last year. Should be fairly evenly matched against Dortmund. History suggest Dortmund wins, but it isn´t a given.

BVB have more talent and european experience. How exactly does that make them "fairly evenly matched"?

Poor APOEL too.

They'll get a point or two off tottenham and get to host some fun football when Real & BVB visit.

I'm sorry cgf, but I have to remind you of this.

Reactions: cgf

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Fair play lol

I horribly underestimated what a step down from Tuchel Bosz would be; and Tottenham came to play. Full props to spurs for taking that next step in europe.

Last edited:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Yeah, even not considering the BVB sinking ship, Spurs are playing much better than anyone thought. Sure, Real and BVB have struggled and that played into Spurs' hand, but those games aren't easy to win. Nicely done.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I think Spurs were underrated here before the 5 games, but I actually don´t think Spurs have been that good. Extremely lucky to beat Dortmund at home. Struggled for quite a while against APOEL. Tonight they played a Dortmund team completely lost - not a fair reflection of the strength of that team.

Like last season I expect to see Spurs playing their best football later. Still don´t think that means they will win anything, but...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad