2017 CL and EL Draw Discussion

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
You think Milan will take EL seriously? Remember, starting this season the top 4 in Serie A make the CL, no more playoffs for them and they gained an extra spot

They will. They're tryin to re-establish themselves as a big name.
Think a lot of clubs are starting to take EL more seriously after seeing how Sevilla and ManU saved some of their seasons with it.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
CSKA got a decent draw out of pot 4. They can realistically compete with Basel and Benfica for the second play off spot

That's why I said "most" (oops, looking back I see I actually typed "post" :P). A team like APOEL can't much expect to make it out of the group so the opportunity to play big names is probably more exciting for the fans.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
I think you should be fine at Wembley. Didn´t get individual tickets last year (not that Evilo believes that I was at Wembley), but the 3 game package was only 10 hour waiting online :laugh:

Probably got to become a One Hotspur member though (at least check).

My buddy mentioned this as well, we'll have to look at becoming members and see how many tickets you can buy per membership.

It would be pretty crazy to see my favorite club play one of the 2 or 3 biggest clubs in the world.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
EL draw is ongoing...but Dynamo Kiev once again play Young Boys and Viktoria Plzen play Steaua again, both ties were in the CL qualifying last month, hate when that happens

AC Milan get Austria Wien while Arsenal get BATE from Pot 2

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
French teams with not the best draws so far...Nice paired with Lazio, Lyon with Everton but Marseille do get Salzburg one of the weaker Pot 1 teams

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Atalanta joins Lyon/Everton, not sure if they are still together from last season but that's a strong group for EL standards

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Viktoria Plzen play Steaua again, both ties were in the CL qualifying last month, hate when that happens

They got Hapoel too, whom I feel like they also played not that long ago. ...Searching though it seems like it was back in 2012/13 so I guess that's not too crazy.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Slavia get a fairly playable group, though personally I don't have much faith in them and would've preferred some more attractive opponents instead..

frostyflo

Jan 29, 2009
Austria
Can someone gimme a little inside of Marseille and what to expect from them please?
Definitely going to watch them

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
My buddy mentioned this as well, we'll have to look at becoming members and see how many tickets you can buy per membership.

It would be pretty crazy to see my favorite club play one of the 2 or 3 biggest clubs in the world.

Just be aware that when they release the tickets for individual games you might have to make sure you are online. I think you could quite easily get them last year (sold out after days/weeks - not minutes or hours), but I could see the RM game being a bit different than Monaco, Leverkusen and CSKA. I remember when we played Milan some years ago - complete chaos (obviously far fewer tickets with the stadium being 36k and not about 90k).

Don't think you can get more than one per membership. Not an expert though as I have always just bought one ticket per membership and never considered anything else.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Can someone gimme a little inside of Marseille and what to expect from them please?

OM is a team gunning for a bigger project. They signed a good coach in Rudy Garcia, not so good in tactics, but a true leader of man with authority, which is very useful in Marseille.
Anyway, they have a very nice attack and are looking to re-inforce it : Payet, Germain, Thauvin, with Sanson and Lopez behind them (worth noting Lopez is struggling to start the year however). Luiz Gustavo at 6. Problem is on defense. Mandanda is washed up (his backup is much better), Amavi will start at LB and I don't know where he stands after his big injury. Sakai plays RB and he's not that great. At least he tries hard. In central D, they have Rami, who's decent but hardly more and Rolando, who's awful.

This is a team that is beaten in midfield. If you manage to beat their midfield (hardly easy) and put pressure on their D, you're going to win. If not, their offense will score on you.

That said, many of these players have arrived since january, and it'll take time to gel. If they do and play well defensiely as a team, they could be extremely dangerous.
They're also looking at a big name striker (Jovetic, Bacca, Giroud, Diego Costa or Milik have been targeted) and a CB. They have one week to finalize it.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Tough tough draw for Lyon. The final will be played in Lyon and they're dreaming of reaching it.
Well that group won't be easy to win.

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal

They should finish top 4 in Ligue 1. They may battle with Lyon and Monaco for 2nd position.

They've made some nice acquisitions since last January. Thauvin and Maxime Lopez are fun to watch. But Payet needs to step up if they wish to compete for that 2nd spot. I have some question marks about their defense though.

frostyflo

Jan 29, 2009
Austria
Thanks Evilo and Luigi Habs!
Stupid me completely forgot Payet is there (I don't follow L1) :/

But I'm really looking forward to see them in Salzburg now!

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Thanks Evilo and Luigi Habs!
Stupid me completely forgot Payet is there (I don't follow L1) :/

But I'm really looking forward to see them in Salzburg now!
No problem. And a positive for you that just got in the news : Rami is out 6 weeks. So OM is without a half decent CB for all of september.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Lokomotiv with a great draw, if they don't make it to the play offs that would be a major embarrassment.

Zenit got an interesting draw with tough games against Sociedad and against two biggest upset makers in Rosenborg and Vardar

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad