NFL: Young QB tracker/discussion/etc

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Nagy also has to give him more. It's pretty clear to anyone with eyes that Nagy is hand holding him. He's going to make mistakes. So why not open up the offense so he can learn from them? The Jets are doing the same with Darnold. You can't keep training wheels on your QB all year long.

I just think he needs to develop his timing with Robinson. When you target someone that much, they better be on the same page. Right now, they're not.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
I just think he needs to develop his timing with Robinson. When you target someone that much, they better be on the same page. Right now, they're not.

This is where those preseason reps matter. That's not on Trubisky. That's on Nagy who didn't feel they were needed.

Reactions: m9

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
slow.gif

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
There are serious and significant reservations about Trubisky.

I have a friend from college, who went to the same college as the college that rivals the college Trubisky attended: and this friend told me Trubisky is as dumb as a brick.

And believe you me, we know our bricks.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
There are serious and significant reservations about Trubisky.

I have a friend from college, who went to the same college as the college that rivals the college Trubisky attended: and this friend told me Trubisky is as dumb as a brick.

And believe you me, we know our bricks.

Ok.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Mahomes thru 4 games this year

90-138 (65.2%)
1,200 yds
14 TD's (+ 1 Rushing TD)
0 INT
126.5 QB Rtg

This kid is something special and a treat to watch

Chief fans got them a franchise QB

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Last week was big week for several QB's while Mahomes faced his first struggles

Deshaun Watson = Went 33/44 for 375 yds with 1 TD and 1 INT leading the Texans to victoyr over Cowboys. The Texans since 0-3 start are showing signs of life and are now 2-3

Baker Mayfield = Went 25/43 for 342 yds and a TD + INT as he lead the Browns to first Sunday victory in years. Browns offense looks much better with him at helm then Taylor

Patrick Mahomes = Was 22/38 for 313 yds but had 2 INT's and struggled thru game. His team overcame it though and won to improve to 5-0 on year

C.J. Beathard = Did not play well but was not helped by coaches having him throw ball so much. Went 34/54 for 349 yds and 2 TD's but also had 2 INT's and 2 Fumbles lost as 49ers ended up losing a winnable game to Cards

Sam Darnold = went 10/22 for 198 yds and 3 TD's with 1 INT. Jet fans starting to believe in him and coaches are opening up playbook more for him

Josh Rosen = Looked poised in 1st career NFL start flashing some of the talent that got him drafted in round 1. Went 10/25 for 170 yds and a TD as Cards won 1st game of season

Josh Allen = didn't play all that well vs Ten but his ability to run lead to him getting a 14 yd TD. Just 10/19 for 82 yds and an INT as passer but the Bills are showing fight and are 2-2 in his starts

Lessavyfav

Aug 2, 2010
Allen's stats from last were due a shift to a super conservative game plan. I wouldn't be surprised if this was the style for the next several games. At one point it was something like 20 rushing plays to 4-5 passes.

He didn't play well, but the low numbers are mostly due to this shift

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Since we are at halfway point I figured time to revisit this thread

2017 QB Class

Mitch Trubisky (1st round , 3rd overall - Bears)
Still as frustrating as ever with his inability to hit deep with anything resembling NFL quality accuracy. Overall though his play seems improved in Nagy offense but will need to show more to live up to expectations of 2nd overall who franchise traded up to grab. The fact team passed on two better QB's in Watson/Mahomes will always be issue unless Mitch shows himself to be as capable as them. Bears at 5-3 have legit playoff hopes for first time in years and a lot of the success/failure of season will depend on Mitch

Patrick Mahomes (1st round , 10th overall - Chiefs)
Is simply the real deal and is already establishing himself as a clear franchise QB. My choice for MVP and OPOY for 2018

Deshaun Watson (1st round , 12th overall - Texans)
Has built off his injury cut rookie season and is playing fantastic right now as he has lead the Texans to a 6-3 record after an 0-3 start to season. If he can stay healthy the Texans finally have QB franchise has been looking for since joining NFL

Deshone Kizer (2nd round - Browns / traded to GB)
Looked awful when Rodgers was hurt in week 1 and hasn't seen action since.

C.J. Beathard (3rd round - 49ers)
Frustrating QB to watch as he flashes talent that makes you think he has #1 potential then looks terrible. May never be more then a backup/filler #1 going forward but guys with his skillset can find employment in NFL for 10 years+ so he is guy who should be able to stick around for years to come

Joshua Dobbs (4th round - Steelers)
Got first taste of NFL this year in limited duty

Nathan Peterman (5th round - Bills)
May be worst QB NFL has ever seen in modern era. At this point only role in Buffalo is to lead them to a top pick if playing and future is likely bleak for him once Bills move on

Nick Mullens (UDFA - 49ers)
First NFL action looked promising. If he can build off it he could get looks down line as #1 or secure himself permanent role as a #2 around league

2018 QB Class

Baker Mayfield (1st round , 1st overall - Browns)
Shows some good and some bad. Playing better then expected IMO given the mess that has been Browns with regard to coaching staff and power struggle

Sam Darnold (1st round , 3rd overall - Jets)
Been the starter for Jets since opening game but has begun to regress in role which is not unexpected given supporting cast/coaching around him. Will take his lumps and gain experience on a Jet team going nowhere this year. Still has flashed the talent that got him drafted 3rd overall at points this year

Josh Allen (1st round , 7th overall - Bills)
Has a lot of work to do before he is truly ready for NFL #1 job. Was rushed into it and honestly after flashing early was showing clearly he wasn't ready for role but is the Bills best option when he comes back from injury and will likely play out rest of year as #1

Josh Rosen (1st round , 10th overall - Cardinals)
Up and Down as rookie thus far. With release of Bradford its clear its his show rest of year as he gains experience

Lamar Jackson (1st round , 32nd overall - Ravens)
Has seen action more as rusher then passer at this point but did have 1st NFL TD pass vs Panthers a couple weeks ago. With Flacco hip injury he may get his chance to start soon and with Ravens playoff hopes fading , Flacco injury and questions about future of Flacco he may end up taking reigns of #1 from that moment on

Reactions: Il Mediano

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Looking at QB's with season now over

2017 QB Class Notables

1) Mitchell Trubisky (2nd overall - Chicago Bears)
289-434 (66.6%)
3,223 yds
24 TD's
12 INT
113.8 QB Rtg
421 yds rushing
3 TD's

Trubisky overall showed improvement as QB this year but still struggles with deep ball accuracy and consistency on his throws. All eyes will be on him this Sunday in 1st NFL Playoff game

2) Patrick Mahomes (10th overall - Kansas City Chiefs)
383-580 (66%)
5,097 yds
50 TD's
12 INT
113.8 QB Rtg
272 yds rushing
2 TD's

Simply amazing. One of the greatest performances by a QB in NFL history and has become the franchise QB Chiefs have been dreaming off for generations. Will make playoff debut this year in divisional round

3) Deshaun Watson (12th overall - Houston Texans)
345-505 (68.3%)
4,165 yds
26 TD's
9 INT
103.1 QB Rtg
551 yds rushing
5 TD's

Watson coming off horrible injury that ruined great rookie season played full season for Texans this year and lead them to 11-5 record and playoffs. Watson will make his debut in playoffs vs Colts this weekend

4) DeShone Kizer (52nd overall , 2nd round - Green Bay Packers , Acq via trade with Browns)
20-42 (47.6%)
187 yds
2 INT's
40.5 QB Rtg
39 yds rushing

Kizer in limited action this year with Packers in wk 1 and wk 17 struggled. With Rodgers entrenched as #1 the likely hood of Kizer getting extensive look in GB to try and rebuild his NFL stock seems unlikely

5) C.J. Beathard (104th overall , 3rd round - San Francisco 49ers)
102-169 (60.4%)
1,252 yds
8 TD's
7 INT
81.8 QB Rtg
136 yds rushing
3 TD's

Like his rookie year he showed some flashes of potential but also struggled at times. His future in SF will be up in air as Nick Mullens and him will both be vying for fulltime #2 job next year and its likley one of them is sent packing

6) Nathan Peterman (171st overall , 5th round - Oakland Raiders , signed after release from Bills)
44-81 (54.3%)
296 yds
1 TD
7 INT's
30.7 QB Rtg
50 yds rushing
1 TD

Peterman bombed in Buffalo and was released. Was signed to Raiders practice squad and then a reserve contract a few days ago. Book may not be closed on the Peterman saga but his NFL future at this point is questionable

7) Nick Mullens (UDFA - San Francisco 49ers)
176-274 (64.2%)
2,277 yds
13 TD's
10 INT's
90.8 QB Rtg

The kid finally got chance with injuries to Jimmy G and Beathard and at times played well but finished year on sour note. Will be going head to head for 49ers #2 spot with Beathard next year with very real possibility the loser is gone from SF roster

The Others

1) Davis Webb (87th overall , 3rd round - New York Giants)
Did not play

2) Joshua Dobbs (135th overall , 4th round - Pittsburgh Steelers)
Saw limited action throwing a pick and going 6/12 for 43 yds mainly vs Raiders in week 14

3) Brad Kaaya (215th overall , 6th round - Indianapolis Colts , Acq via Lions practice Squad)
Spent year on IR and NFL future seems questionable at best

4) Chad Kelly (253rd overall , 7th round - Denver Broncos)
NFL future in doubt after arrest and release by Broncos mid season

5) Cooper Rush (UDFA - Dallas Cowboys)
Did not play as Cowboys #2

6) Kyle Slotter (UDFA - Minnesota Vikings , Acq after Broncos waived him)
Did not play as Vikings #2

7) Taysom Hill (UDFA - New Orleans Saints , Acq after Packers waived him)
Gimmick player in NO who threw an INT this year vs Steelers

8) Phillip Walker (UDFA - Indianapolis Colts)
Continued as part of Colts Practice Squad

2018 QB Class Notables

1) Baker Mayfield (1st overall - Cleveland Browns)
310-486 (63.8%)
3,725 yds
27 TD's
14 INT
93.7 QB Rtg
131 yds rushing

Kid became star his rookie year and impressed leading the Browns to 6-7 record and bringing hope for first time in longtime to people of Cleveland

2) Sam Darnold (3rd overall - New York Jets)
239-414 (57.7%)
2,865 yds
17 TD's
15 INT
77.6 QB Rtg
138 yds rushing
1 TD

Darnold was up and down as rookie but flashed enough potential to make Jet fans happy and optimistic about future with him at QB

3) Josh Allen (7th overall - Buffalo Bills)
169-320 (52.8%)
2,074 yds
10 TD's
12 INT
67.9 QB Rtg
631 yds rushing
8 Td's

The kid needs work as a passer but man was he exciting to watch and with development could be standout for Bills going forward

4) Josh Rosen (10th overall - Arizona Cardinals)
217-393 (55.2%)
2,278 yds
11 TD's
14 INT
66.7 QB Rtg
183 yds rushing

The kid had rough time in a situation that wasn't best environment for his development. Showed occasional flashes of talent but will need major improvement going forward

5) Lamar Jackson (32nd overall - Baltimore Ravens)
99-170 (58.2%)
1,201 yds
6 TD's
3 INT
84.5 QB Rtg
695 yds rushing
5 TD's

Became a sensation after replacing Flacco going 6-1 and leading the Ravens to playoffs. Will make his playoff debut this weekend vs Chargers and has permanently supplanted Joe Flacco as Ravens #1

The Others

1) Mason Rudolph (76th overall , 3rd round - Pittsburgh Steelers)
Saw no action as Steelers #3

2) Kyle Lauletta (108th overall , 4th round - New York Giants)
Saw the most limited of action going 0/5 vs Redskins with 1 INT. Was arrested during season and his future with Giants and in NFL seems questionable at best

3) Mike White (171st overall , 5th round - Dallas Cowboys)
Saw no action as Cowboys #3 QB

4) Luke Falk (199th overall , 6th round - Miami Dolphins , Acq after Titans waived him)
Was briefly on Dolphins roster before going on IR

5) Tanner Lee (203rd overall , 6th round - Jacksonville Jaguars)
Ended season on Jags active roster but did not play

6) Danny Etling (219th overall , 7th round - New England Patriots)
Spent year on Pats practice squad

7) Alex McGough (220th overall , 7th round - Seattle Seahawks)
Spent year on Seahawks practice squad

8) Logan Woodside (249th overall , 7th round)
Drafted by Bengals only to be waived , Then signed to Titans practice squad only to be waived weeks later. Drafted in 3rd round of AAF QB Draft by San Antonio Commanders and NFL future seems doubtful

9) Chase Litton (UDFA - Kansas City Chiefs)
Spent year on Kansas City practice squad

10) Kurt Benkert (UDFA - Atlanta Falcons)
Spent year on Falcons practice squad and just signed reserve contract for next season

11) Luis Perez - (UDFA - Los Angeles Rams)
Signed to Rams practice squad after camp , Released week later and signed with San Antonio Commanders of AAF only to then be drafted by Birmingham Iron of AAF. NFL career looks doubtful

Last edited:

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Wasn't a fan of Josh Alllen at all last college season or before the draft or after he was drafted. He is interesting, I can't find a comparison. Hes somewhat built like Cam Newton but doesn't quite have the big body. In the beginning of the season he wouln't stand in the pocket. I don't know if he would work in the NFL even 5-10-15-20 years ago and beyond thar but the NFL is heading towards a mobile QB league. I don't want to call him a dual threat because he doesn't have the accuracy. Shaq Lawson seems to think he's better than DeShaun Watson and has played with both. At this point in time that's not true as Watson has established himself but the talent potential has showed. I do think t worst he could be a great Fantasy QB.

Mayfield is the rookie of the year IMHO. Do I worry about his size? Sort of but I mostly worry about his ego and attitude being a downfall.

Rosen did very little, I heard on multiple occassions pe draft his heart isnt fully into football and can be very vocal on things like politics.

I think this is lamar Jackson's ceiling.

Darnold was slurped over. I'm not a stats guy in the least but it's interesting how him and allen have some close stats despite Darnold playing a few more games. I alo would argue Darnold had more to work with. 3/4ths into the season the Bills changed their WR core. The line was all over the place. They couldn't run. He had very little to work with and still flirted with .500 for the season. Granted his D was really solid.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Josh Allen is largely bad but his splash plays he made with his legs will make people like you forget that he is bad. Lol comparing him to Watson and Newton. Josh Allen is going to get the Bortles treatment. He didn't shit his pants like Peterman but that's not saying much. Darnold was good when the Jets let him play.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Josh Allen is largely bad but his splash plays he made with his legs will make people like you forget that he is bad. Lol comparing him to Watson and Newton. Josh Allen is going to get the Bortles treatment. He didn't **** his pants like Peterman but that's not saying much. Darnold was good when the Jets let him play.

Hes not a completion percentage or accuracy guy, but neither is Newton. I didn't necessarily compare him to Watson, his college teammate who has now played with both says he was better. The only reason I used Watson was because both can run and throw, but Watson is a better completion percentage guy.

Different people value different things. Not all QBs are the same. You know why Brady has had a better career than Rodgers eventhough Rodgers is the better player? Hes more coachable, same for why Brady has done more than Big Ben. I mean at first glance there was/is NOTHING that made anyone think Brady was the "skilled" QB he became to be. Peyton Manning was way more flashy.

For the record, i'm not saying he's going to be Brady by any measure, all i'm saying is, people are all set in their ways on a certain QB. The most praised of the last 15 years arguably have
5 ritles, Manning and Ben each had their D carry them the same way to one. If you take out phenominal D each guy only really played the team to 1 title. I mean Felicia Manning is a pick machine but has 2 SB's. He was never a top 10 active QB during his still on going playoff career. I would much rather have Philip Rivers if I ran a team, but he has 0.

The way the game is going you need mobile QBs.. When they let him play Allen did some good things. That team overachieved. I recall in the summer guy's like Cowherd aand Rome talking about ober unders for teams and they kept pushing Buffalo hard on the 5.5 saying that Vegas is just daring people to take the over. I thought they might win 4 games. If they had kept a vet with that D they could have been a playoff team. They botched the situation. Allen won 5 of the games. I believe was one game under .500, the team in the last 3 one possession games this year. They were close to matching last years win total. With a far less skilled team.

The kid does seem coachable, early in the season he would run like Jackson to run. Now at the end he ran if the opportunity presented itself. He stands in the pocket. Peterman had no skill. He wasnt mobilr at all. The only thing he could do was release the ball quick but that probably led to his struggles. The only reason Darnold is such a slurpfest is because hes the rich kid from Southern Cal-i-forn-i-a and comes from a huge market and went to a school thats been grossly overhyping QBs for the past decade and a half and the only guy who panned out and I would struggle to ay that really is Carson Palmer. He ended up with an okay career but injuries wrecked him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad