OT: 2017 American Football Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
I'm not sure I'd want to go forward with Beckham if I were a Giants fan. However insanely talented he is I don't know if he can ever be reigned in, relied upon, or the stable kind of franchise guy you need. His injury was a break and not any sort of acl/mcl/ligament so chances are he can be good as ever. There's so much you can get for him now that you can use to fill other holes. Basically you can win without him if you structure your team in different ways. He's going to produce and earn a ton of money, but let some other team give it to him while weakening themselves elsewhere.

Certainly share the same feelings on him. World class talent, but more focused on the show and attention than the game.

Give me 5 serviceable, get the job done, coachable players, that will fill other much needed holes for the same price that one world class talent, but significant headache in all other spectrums will cost.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Giants are going to draft Barkley and rightfully so.
He's a legit game breaking future Hall of Famer if he stays away from serious injuries

Jets should hope Allen is still on the board.

Like I said last month Allen has the best upside of the QBs

he also has the biggest downside. By far.

Like I said, players that are not accurate in college don't magically suddenly become accurate in the NFL.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
Certainly share the same feelings on him. World class talent, but more focused on the show and attention than the game.

Give me 5 serviceable, get the job done, coachable players, that will fill other much needed holes for the same price that one world class talent, but significant headache in all other spectrums will cost.

It's not the exact same comparison because his talent, while great, wasn't Beckham level. But the Jeremy Shockey had Tony Gonzalez talent and never fulfilled it. But he was still a producer on the 07 team and also a major headache. You didn't need Shockey to win a Super Bowl and you don't need Beckham. As you said, 5 serviceable, heady, dedicated get the job done coachable players. The Giants organization and the model they want to restore is of tradition and discipline and stateliness. Beckham doesn't fit into that. He's just too much of an uncontrollable oddball.

Last edited:

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
he also has the biggest downside. By far.

Like I said, players that are not accurate in college don't magically suddenly become accurate in the NFL.

You can find such great value in the middle to lower rounds on RB's. Just not worth it with Barkley. Barkley is lobbying for the Jets now since he was a fan of them growing up but I hope the Jets don't take the bait. He'll be fine and have a good career but you don't use a 1st on a back unless you are absolutely certain you are getting a generation legend like Jim Brown. Jim Brown is not in this draft.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Barkley's not lasting to the Jets' pick anyway. I wouldn't neccesarily mind him but the Jets have so many other needs I'd rather not pick RB early. Early-round RB is for teams that have fewer holes like the Cowboys a couple years ago.

Reactions: tr83

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Barkley's not lasting to the Jets' pick anyway. I wouldn't neccesarily mind him but the Jets have so many other needs I'd rather not pick RB early. Early-round RB is for teams that have fewer holes like the Cowboys a couple years ago.

Yup, he's going 2nd to the NJG

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
It's not the exact same comparison because his talent, while great, wasn't Beckham level. But the Jeremy Shockey had Tony Gonzalez talent and never fulfilled it. But he was still a producer on the 07 team and also a major headache. You didn't need Shockey to win a Super Bowl and you don't need Beckham. As you said, 5 serviceable, heady, dedicated get the job done coachable players. The Giants organization and the model they want to restore is of tradition and discipline and stateliness. Beckham doesn't fit into that. He's just too much of an uncontrollable oddball.

Thats why we saw several guys like Shockey, who had talent, but were otherwise headaches, have shorter lived Giants tenures under Coughlin because he didn't tolerate any of that. Martellus Bennett is an example as well.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
Jarvis Landry traded to Cleveland

Tyrod Taylor traded to Cleveland

Great they'll go from 0-16 to 4-12.

I can't wait for my girlfriends Brown's fan family to tell me all summer how good they'll be for the 4th straight summer and they'll be complete dog shit again

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Allen RObinson and Trey Burton to Bears
Norwell to Jaguars
Albert Wilson to Dolphins
Sammy Watkins and Anthony Hitchens to KC
Case Keenum to Denver

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Ugh, Allen. I'll be pissed if we draft him. Inaccuracy doesn't magically go away in the NFL.

Same, and it looks like we’ll get stuck with him or reaching for Lamar Jackson since the Browns, Giants and Bills (via the inevitable trade up) will all get the other three QB’s before 6. Might as well take the guard or Chubb at that point and punt QB AGAIN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad