NHL 2017-2018 Standings Watch

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Update through 3/22:

Maximum potential pointsCurrent ROWTotal remaining gamesHome gamesAway gamesSets of back-to-backsRemaining opponents' winning %
Bruins1204210572.546
Lightning122458442.513
Maple Leafs111378621.423
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Toronto has a really easy remaining schedule. The Bruins goal should be to get at least 12 of the remaining 20 points available.

boston has a decisive lead in row too... if we pick up 11 points in next 10 games Toronto is pretty much mathematically prevented from catching us. it would not only require them going on their hottest streak of the season, but we would also need to collapse and go on our worst streak and even then its unlikely they catch us

catching tampa really depends on sweeping our head to head matchups in regulation... and even then it might be difficult. theres still hockey left to be played but we look to be fairly suck where we are in the standings

BruinsFanMike82

Apr 15, 2009
MA
Update through 3/23:

Maximum potential pointsCurrent ROWTotal remaining gamesHome gamesAway gamesSets of back-to-backsRemaining opponents' winning %
Bruins120439452.551
Lightning122458442.513
Maple Leafs111378621.423
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Quick summary of the Moneypuck playoff bullseye....basically, it looks like it thinks we're about 60/40 against any team in the first round - either Toronto (the most likely), or any of the WC2 teams (NJD, FLA, PHI) should we go on a huge tear in the next 9 games. That said, if we do go on a tear, they'll probably adjust our stats upwards.

From there, we're in general a slight favorite (52%) to advance to the ECF, meaning our odds are probably slightly bad against Tampa, and slightly good against a team that upsets Tampa. But if we make it to the ECF, we go back to being almost 60% to win against the weighted average winner from the Metro bracket.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Quick summary of the Moneypuck playoff bullseye....basically, it looks like it thinks we're about 60/40 against any team in the first round - either Toronto (the most likely), or any of the WC2 teams (NJD, FLA, PHI) should we go on a huge tear in the next 9 games. That said, if we do go on a tear, they'll probably adjust our stats upwards.

From there, we're in general a slight favorite (52%) to advance to the ECF, meaning our odds are probably slightly bad against Tampa, and slightly good against a team that upsets Tampa. But if we make it to the ECF, we go back to being almost 60% to win against the weighted average winner from the Metro bracket.

Just end up with more points than Winnipeg

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Just end up with more points than Winnipeg

Read my mind, but I'm not gonna hex anything. For the first time this year, I looked at the standings without sorting by division/conference/wild card, just to see....and, yeah, that would be a VERY nice thing.

gtbruins

Nov 11, 2007
Orlando, FL
Read my mind, but I'm not gonna hex anything. For the first time this year, I looked at the standings without sorting by division/conference/wild card, just to see....and, yeah, that would be a VERY nice thing.
Just for the sake of home ice through more rounds?

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
I have a gut feeling Winnipeg will be the West winner and I would much prefer the Bruins having home ice in that series.

I like them because their roster is so balanced but I really feel that it’s Nashville’s year. I’d hate for the Bruins to have to face them in the Finals. Tough matchup

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
I subscribe to the "anything can happen in the playoffs" mentality...playing to seed yourself and get a good first round opponent - or even for a good second round matchup - is reasonable. But beyond that, so much can happen that you can't really predict. The only teams in the west that have a chance of getting home ice over us are NSH, VGK, and WPG. If you take the predictions seriously, and assume that all 3 wind up beating us in the standings (which they probably won't), AND you assume we make the SCF, then we get home ice about 50% of the time.

Nashville's got a good lead, so I'll give them the Presidents Trophy, despite having a fairly tough schedule (two B2B, only 2/9 non-playoff teams). Vegas may surprise us, given that they only have 1 game against a true cup contenders, 1 B2B left, and end their season in the soft Western Canadian snow. Winnipeg's got a tougher schedule, with 3 cup contending teams, and having a 4-game road trip ahead.

The good thing is that Winnipeg's probably the most likely team to advance to the playoffs, AND the least likely team to be ahead of us in the standings. Doubly good for me; I have plans the Saturday that will probably be Game 3 of the SCF.

BruinsFanMike82

Apr 15, 2009
MA
Update through 3/24:

Bruins120439452.551
Lightning120457432.488
Maple Leafs111387521.432
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Toronto has to be frustrated that they have not made up any ground

Maple Leafs extend franchise-record home winning streak to 13 games - Sportsnet.ca

upload_2018-3-25_1-55-8.png

Reactions: Thrive

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I like them because their roster is so balanced but I really feel that it’s Nashville’s year. I’d hate for the Bruins to have to face them in the Finals. Tough matchup

There is no team in the East that scares me except Washington and the only way we can meet them is if they survive to Round 3 which has been a problem for them.

What I am certain of is NO team in hockey wants to play Boston right now.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
There is no team in the East that scares me except Washington and the only way we can meet them is if they survive to Round 3 which has been a problem for them.

What I am certain of is NO team in hockey wants to play Boston right now.

I can see that, but the last few games I’ve seen Washington play, I’m not impressed. But as we all know, Washington has owned the Bruins but I like their chances against them

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
When do the playoffs start? I’d like to plan a short trip and miss as few games as possible.

Assuming they keep the same schedule as last year, AND that they don't have to start the first round early or late due to arena commitments and/or TV scheduling issues, the first round should start April 11 or April 12. If the Bruins get home ice (which they probably will), that means April 12, because the Celtics play at home on April 11. They try to do 2 EC series and 2 WC series on each opening day so that the US networks don't get jammed, but that doesn't always work - they had 5 on Wednesday last year. They have NBCSN, USA or CNBC, and NHLN available each day - USA and CNBC seem to have specific days determining which network has to trash their regular prime time/late night programming, while the other one schedules normally and never gets an NHL game.

An unlucky Friday the 13th start date wouldn't be unheard of, if they find the schedule is too hard to make and give the Bruins back the day of rest that the Panthers snow delay will have taken away. But I don't think the NHL would really like that - I think a big market team like the Bruins getting Thursday/Saturday home games to start the series might be tempting.

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston
The laffs have only won about 50% of their games in regular. That's pretty weak. 38 ROW 75 games in.

Agree

Leafs are 13th in the league in ROW this year definitely have benefited greatly from having the most shootout wins in the NHL

Good team no doubt but there record is deceiving

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
Assuming they keep the same schedule as last year, AND that they don't have to start the first round early or late due to arena commitments and/or TV scheduling issues, the first round should start April 11 or April 12. If the Bruins get home ice (which they probably will), that means April 12, because the Celtics play at home on April 11. They try to do 2 EC series and 2 WC series on each opening day so that the US networks don't get jammed, but that doesn't always work - they had 5 on Wednesday last year. They have NBCSN, USA or CNBC, and NHLN available each day - USA and CNBC seem to have specific days determining which network has to trash their regular prime time/late night programming, while the other one schedules normally and never gets an NHL game.

An unlucky Friday the 13th start date wouldn't be unheard of, if they find the schedule is too hard to make and give the Bruins back the day of rest that the Panthers snow delay will have taken away. But I don't think the NHL would really like that - I think a big market team like the Bruins getting Thursday/Saturday home games to start the series might be tempting.
TYVM!

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Meh Bruins go in there and win 2-1 game 1. Conversely we have lost our last five series at home this decade so I think home ice is overrated.

Our last five series at home ?

Ottawa last year - lost in game 6 at home
Canadiens 2014 - lost at home in game 7
Detroit - won in game 5 at home
Chicago - lost in game 6 at home
Pittsburgh - won at home in game 4
New York - won at home in game 5
Toronot - won in game 7 at home

Not sure what you mean?

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Our last five series at home ?

Ottawa last year - lost in game 6 at home
Canadiens 2014 - lost at home in game 7
Detroit - won in game 5 at home
Chicago - lost in game 6 at home
Pittsburgh - won at home in game 4
New York - won at home in game 5
Toronot - won in game 7 at home

Not sure what you mean?
Probably means when they have been eliminated at home,Ottawa,Montreal x2,Wash,Chicago.Phily,Carolina.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad