NHL 2017-2018 Standings Watch

Rumpy

Mar 13, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site
It's horrible.It rewards weaker teams.

If you don’t want to see Boston play and beat Montreal or Toronto year in and year out I don’t know what to say.

Winning in 2011 was so much sweeter beating them in round 1 and losing in 2014 was just as pathetic with the presidents cup team. But it is the BEST!!!

I want it every single year as a hockey fan. Highs and Lows are that much better with rivalries.

Pens - Flyers
Red Wings - Avalanche

That’s why I watch hockey. Whatever they have to do to make it happen more often I approve.

Not to see Bruins Canucks once every 103 years.

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
Less than a week left and there are still 6 teams that we might wind up playing in the 1st round!:eek:
Toronto, Pittsburgh, Columbus, New Jersey, Philadelphia, or Florida are all possibilities. Any preference? Florida is pretty doubtful but after that No easy outs. Having said that, if we are healthy, I like our chances against anyone. Pretty sure all of these teams are hoping to avoid us in the 1st round.

New jersey or Columbus .
Flyers will upet us
We beat tor
Pitt beats us

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The NHL had it right when they had the Adams, Patrick, Smythe and Norris Divisions - as there was genuine hate.

The Adams consisted of Boston, Montreal, Quebec, Hartford and Buffalo and come playoff time there were intense matchups.

Today in the Atlantic Division there is no hate - Boston hates Montreal historically and to a lesser extent Toronto. Detroit is an O6 team that the Bruins have very little history with.

Reactions: bruinshoper

RustyBruins72

Jul 29, 2005
Can someone tell me if the Bruins and Tampa end up tied, and the ROW is the same, what the next criteria for breaking the tie is? Wins? Thanks!

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
What is first tiebreaker between Tampa and Bruins? Head to head or regulation/OT wins?

C0ach B0mbay

Sep 14, 2009
Boston
What is first tiebreaker between Tampa and Bruins? Head to head or regulation/OT wins?

From NHL.com (abridged)

If two or more clubs are tied in points during the regular season, the standing of the clubs is determined in the following order:
  1. The fewer number of games played (i.e., superior points percentage).
  2. The greater number of games won, excluding games won in the Shootout. This figure is reflected in the ROW column.
  3. The greater number of points earned in games between the tied clubs.

Reactions: BruinsFanMike82

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Thanks. Tampa has Buff and Car so I am just gonna assume they grab 4 regulation points. That would leave them with 114 pts and 49 ROW. Two regulation/OT wins wouldn't do it for the Bs as they would only have 48. Probably need 5 pts to secure top spot.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
I wouldn't just assume TB is going to beat those two.

There is literally no pressure on either.
Just like they've done to the Bruins all season, Buffalo has played Tampa tough in their last two contests. Tampa is 0-1-1 in those.

Boston just needs to take care of what the can control. They need to assume Tampa is going to win out, so any combination of 5 points will do.

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
I would rather play Philly than either NJ or CBJ. I think the B’s are better than all three, but NJ has a lot of team speed and CBJ has Bob, who could get hot and steal a series.

Mrzaek or Bob? Easy choice for me.

Stop Hall stop Nj.
Flyers have different weapons in giroux who is clutch, simmonds, couturier, voracek, koneckny Patrick, Gost, and Prov. It could be one of those series where either their goali has a great series or where we make him look great. Flyers worry me.Pitt are the champs and they are still the team to beat. With Kessel comin in 2 yrs ago and the addition of Murray who hasnt lost a playoff series yet.. I think pitt will beat us in a 7 game series(of course you never know)

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
I like New Jersey. I honestly could see us dispatching them in either a sweep or 5 games. They're fast, but we've added speed too.

I don't particularly like Toronto or Tampa, which is why I'm happy we aren't playing Tampa, and why I'd love Tampa to play Toronto. I think Boston/Toronto/Tampa is pretty close to a 3-way tossup for the Atlantic bracket, and getting the WC in the first round will make it significantly easier for the Atlantic winner to win the whole bracket.

Philadelphia wouldn't be my choice - they'll be pissed at their recent losses, and they're a really punchy team as it is. I see injuries, so even if we win, we lose.

As far as the other two minor WC choices...I wouldn't mind Florida, but considering what would have to happen for them to make the playoffs (likely at least 1, if not 2, wins against us), we're highly unlikely to face them in the first round. And if we did, they'd be running on adrenaline - not exactly what you want in an opponent. Columbus wouldn't be awful, but I don't see as a cakewalk.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
I like New Jersey. I honestly could see us dispatching them in either a sweep or 5 games. They're fast, but we've added speed too.

I don't particularly like Toronto or Tampa, which is why I'm happy we aren't playing Tampa, and why I'd love Tampa to play Toronto. I think Boston/Toronto/Tampa is pretty close to a 3-way tossup for the Atlantic bracket, and getting the WC in the first round will make it significantly easier for the Atlantic winner to win the whole bracket.

Philadelphia wouldn't be my choice - they'll be pissed at their recent losses, and they're a really punchy team as it is. I see injuries, so even if we win, we lose.

As far as the other two minor WC choices...I wouldn't mind Florida, but considering what would have to happen for them to make the playoffs (likely at least 1, if not 2, wins against us), we're highly unlikely to face them in the first round. And if we did, they'd be running on adrenaline - not exactly what you want in an opponent. Columbus wouldn't be awful, but I don't see as a cakewalk.
Yeah no such thing as a cake walk in the first round,Leafs weren’t a few years ago,remember wanting Carolina the one season,that didn’t turn out to well.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Stop Hall stop Nj.
Flyers have different weapons in giroux who is clutch, simmonds, couturier, voracek, koneckny Patrick, Gost, and Prov. It could be one of those series where either their goali has a great series or where we make him look great. Flyers worry me.Pitt are the champs and they are still the team to beat. With Kessel comin in 2 yrs ago and the addition of Murray who hasnt lost a playoff series yet.. I think pitt will beat us in a 7 game series(of course you never know)

All the Bruins need to do to stop NJ is stop Hall?

What a revelation...and yet he has 93 pts and is one of the front runners for MVP. Not to mention that somehow NJ is ahead of Philly in the standings.

The Flyers are a little deeper than NJ in the Top 6, but I like NJ's Bottom 6 better. Patrick has only 29 points and isn't the factor you are making him out to be.

Pittsburgh is a very good team, but Boston has owned them in recent years for some reason.

I don't fear any team in the East, and if the B's get their guys back, there is no reason they can't be the Eastern rep in the Finals. Will it be easy? Of course not, but I don't worry about some of the teams you do.

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
All the Bruins need to do to stop NJ is stop Hall?

What a revelation...and yet he has 93 pts and is one of the front runners for MVP. Not to mention that somehow NJ is ahead of Philly in the standings.

The Flyers are a little deeper than NJ in the Top 6, but I like NJ's Bottom 6 better. Patrick has only 29 points and isn't the factor you are making him out to be.

Pittsburgh is a very good team, but Boston has owned them in recent years for some reason.

I don't fear any team in the East, and if the B's get their guys back, there is no reason they can't be the Eastern rep in the Finals. Will it be easy? Of course not, but I don't worry about some of the teams you do.

New jersey better top 6...who?
And if its not a revelation then why you giving NJ better chance.
They need to stop 1 guy..Hall
Flyers have more weapons..
As far as patrick i actually did not include him on my initial post but hes been hot of late and he was a 2nd overall so i edited and put him in..
Heres the thing though since we cant give any credit to Patrick...Fine
Then sit Heinen (since he has done nothing for how many games?) we wont according to you count much on Debrusk either and lets not even mentiin Donato(a handful of games albeit impressive isnt enuf..right?) Having said that if we cant count on some of these kids who have been a significant part of the reg season..in the playoffs... We wont last long with one line.

As far as Pitt. We have owned them ..yes in the past without Kessel and Murray 2 big reasons why they were capable of re winning the cup.
Pitt different team now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->