Prospect Info: 2017-2018 Prospect Stats and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Anyone see Marody in his few games in Bakersfield? How did he look? NHL comparisons? I know next to nothing about him.

Last edited:

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Anyone see Marody in his few games in Bakersfield? How did he look? I know next to nothing about him.

If that didn't work properly, the Bakersfield highlights begin at 13:22. Reports I saw were that he looked very good at the AHL level setting up numerous chances.

Bonus: Watch the goal at 7:25. I still don't know how he gets this puck up over the goalie from his stomach.

Last edited:

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
1. Evan Bouchard
2. Kailer Yamamoto
3. Ethan Bear
4. Ryan McLeod
5. Tyler Benson
6. Stuart Skinner
7. Caleb Jones
8. Ostap Safin
9. Olivier Rodrigue
10. Kirill Maksimov

Updated top 10?
Put Skinner higher than Benson and I agree with it.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Put Skinner higher than Benson and I agree with it.
I'm higher on Benson than most so I disagree. I still think he has the potential to be top 3 on this list, but understand him dropping a bit due to the injuries. Skating needs to get a bit better in terms of acceleration and top speed, but his edge work and balance combined with his strong positioning and hockey IQ don't leave me worried about his skating. His vision and playmaking are elite, and I'm a sucker for that. I think he's going to surprise quite a few people who are down on him after he gets another summer or two to train and some AHL games in. His game is much more structured and built for the pro-game than most people realize, and a couple off-seasons to work on his strength, shot, and skating will do him wonders.

I'm excited to see how he does in the AHL next year. The highlights from his short stint there were very encouraging.

Reactions: voxel and LaGu

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I'm higher on Benson than most so I disagree. I still think he has the potential to be top 3 on this list, but understand him dropping a bit due to the injuries. Skating needs to get a bit better in terms of acceleration and top speed, but his edge work and balance combined with his strong positioning and hockey IQ don't leave me worried about his skating. His vision and playmaking are elite, and I'm a sucker for that. I think he's going to surprise quite a few people who are down on him after he gets another summer or two to train and some AHL games in. His game is much more structured and built for the pro-game than most people realize, and a couple off-seasons to work on his strength, shot, and skating will do him wonders.

I'm excited to see how he does in the AHL next year. The highlights from his short stint there were very encouraging.
I talked to someone who watched some of the practice today and apparently Bensons skating looked improved.

Benson was saying this is the first summer he has had to really work and train in a while and this is the best he has ever felt.

With the way these guys are talking I think Yamamoto, Benson and Bouchard really believe they have a chance this year and will do all they can to impressed.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I talked to someone who watched some of the practice today and apparently Bensons skating looked improved.

Benson was saying this is the first summer he has had to really work and train in a while and this is the best he has ever felt.

With the way these guys are talking I think Yamamoto, Benson and Bouchard really believe they have a chance this year and will do all they can to impressed.
The thing that most people don't realize with Benson is that the only real issues with his skating are his top speed and acceleration. He has good edge work, and strong low stride that makes him hard to knock off the puck and hard to knock off balance. I personally don't see his skating as an issue once inside the offensive zone, its more that he's not a big threat in transition off the rush with his current skating. Good news if true that he's improved his acceleration and top speed. I still think he has 2nd/3rd line potential with a bit of a grinder feel to his game. His vision, IQ and playmaking are superb.

I wouldn't be surprised if both Yamamoto and Bouchard make the team out of camp. I don't think Benson's there quite yet, but I'm glad he's hungry. I think he'll have a very productive year in the AHL. I'm interested to see if Marody can crack the team out of camp. I think people are sleeping on his potential as well. Great playmaker, and similar to Benson he may not be the quickest skater, but he's got good edges and lateral mobility, and a pretty nice set of hands. Marody also has an underrated wrister that he can pick top corner with consistently.

Feels nice to have some quality prospects entering the pro-ranks for once, and thats only going to continue next year with Maksimov, Safin, Samorukov, McLeod and hopefully Berglund comes over (maybe Marino turns pro too). I wonder if Brandon Hickey is going to sign with Buffalo or become a UFA. I'd be fine giving him a deal if he wants to sign back around where he grew up.

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Anyone see Marody in his few games in Bakersfield? How did he look? NHL comparisons? I know next to nothing about him.

I watched most of his playoff games with Michigan and all three of his games with the Condors. I thought he was their most dangerous forward the second he got there.

In interviews he says he models his game after Niklas Backstrom. Thats obviously just stylistic, not representative of his upside, but Marody has great passing skills, hands and vision, hence the comparabe. My personal comparable is Sam Gagner. I think they play the same way, both excel on the PP, both have hands and vision. I'd also view modern day Gagner as Marody's realistic upside. Marody has a good shot, but he's certainly a pass first player. He has some excellent offensive tools, but needs to get stronger and increase his battle level.

Reactions: ManitobaKid

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I watched most of his playoff games with Michigan and all three of his games with the Condors. I thought he was their most dangerous forward the second he got there.

In interviews he says he models his game after Niklas Backstrom. Thats obviously just stylistic, not representative of his upside, but Marody has great passing skills, hands and vision, hence the comparabe. My personal comparable is Sam Gagner. I think they play the same way, both excel on the PP, both have hands and vision. I'd also view modern day Gagner as Marody's realistic upside. Marody has a good shot, but he's certainly a pass first player. He has some excellent offensive tools, but needs to get stronger and increase his battle level.
He says his goal is to surprise at camp and make the team. Kind of a long shot but if he plays well enough I could see him competing with Caggiula a bit

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I wouldn't be surprised if Marody made some noise in camp. Some things to note when comparing him to Caggiula. This upcoming season will be Marody's draft+4 season. Caggiula turned pro in his draft+5 season. Marody doesn't have Drakes feistiness, and isn't as good of a skater, but he probably has better hockey IQ and vision, and an underrated wrister that he could probably utilize more. Marody's 3rd college season is pretty similar to Drake's 4th in terms of numbers, but Drake had Boeser and Schmaltz while Marody only had Calderone and Hughes, and led his team (and the conference) in scoring.

The fact that he won't be 22 until almost Christmas gives me hope that he could become a decent NHLer.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Marody is definitely a guy I'm going to keep a close eye on.

Are we still supposed to hate this trade?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
There are a number of the college kids coming to the development camp as they did last year. They would have to pay their way most likely.

Correct.

McPhee’s dad is Vegas GM George McPhee, his family is not hurting for money. Not sure about Dudek who was also there. Would have liked to see Marino but maybe he just decided not to make the trip. Most of the overseas guys did not attend either.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Correct.

McPhee’s dad is Vegas GM George McPhee, his family is not hurting for money. Not sure about Dudek who was also there. Would have liked to see Marino but maybe he just decided not to make the trip. Most of the overseas guys did not attend either.

Dudek's father was an NFL running back briefly and is now the VP of a division of the USA's biggest wine and spirits distributor, so he probably isn't hurting too much for cash either.

Reactions: ChaoticOrange

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
@Senor Catface much love for the thread this year.

@oilers'72 you're the thread MVP. If Catface doesn't wanna do the thread anymore, perhaps a passing of the torch?

We're instating the 1K post limit, so Im gonna be closing this thread soonish. Get started on next seasons?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad