Prospect Info: 2017-2018 Prospect Stats and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
where do you guys rank skinner in your top prospect list? curious beyond him as well - where do jones/bear/safin/maksimov
all stack up?

Really hard to say at this point. Of U-25 guys that have not played 50 NHL games I would rank our prospects along these lines - unfortunately assuming that Ryan Mantha’s career is likely over or much-reduced:

1. Yamamoto
2. Bear
3. Jones
4. Skinner
5. Benson
6. Maksimov
7. Lagesson
8. Berglund
9. Marody
10. Samorukov
11. Safin
12. Gambardella
13. Russell (Danish)
14. Rasanen
15. Vesel
16. McPhee
17. Wells
18. Marino
19. Starrett

My list weighs upside a bit higher than likelihood of making the nhl. If I went with NHL likelihood a guy like Patrick Russell would be higher as I think he might grab a 4th line spot right away.

As of draft day we’ll have a new #1 most likely.

Also keep in mind I *really* like Maksimov. I seriously considered him before Skinner or Benson.

Last edited:

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Really hard to say at this point. Of U-25 guys that have not played 50 NHL games I would rank our prospects along these lines - unfortunately assuming that Ryan Mantha’s career is likely over or much-reduced:

1. Yamamoto
2. Bear
3. Jones
4. Skinner
5. Benson
6. Maksimov
7. Lagesson
8. Marody
9. Samorukov
10. Safin
11. Gambardella
12. Russell (Danish)
13. Rasanen
14. Vesel
15. McPhee
16. Wells
17. Marino
18. Starrett

My list weighs upside a bit higher than likelihood of making the nhl. If I went with NHL likelihood a guy like Patrick Russell would be higher as I think he might grab a 4th line spot right away.

Also keep in mind I *really* like Maksimov. I seriously considered him before Skinner or Benson.

No Berglund?

He's easily top 10 for me.

aspin3

Oct 31, 2017

1. Yamamoto
2. Bear
3. Jones
4. Skinner
5. Benson
6. Maksimov
7. Lagesson
8. Berglund
9. Marody
10. Samorukov
11. Safin
12. Gambardella
13. Russell (Danish)
14. Rasanen
15. Vesel
16. McPhee
17. Wells
18. Marino
19. Starrett

I like your list. Trust your gut, Maksimov should be ahead of Benson. Also, Samorukov should be ahead of Marody and maybe Berglund and Laggeson as far as upside. He is a stud that is bi, heavy and can skate well.

Also, at this point Wells drops below Starrett and Marino.

Reactions: ChaoticOrange

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I like your list. Trust your gut, Maksimov should be ahead of Benson. Also, Samorukov should be ahead of Marody and maybe Berglund and Laggeson as far as upside. He is a stud that is bi, heavy and can skate well.

I wouldn't have Wells that low.

Really tough for goalies on bad teams to look good at a glance.

He still has all the tools you want in an NHL goalie.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo

I guess if that's important to you...

Reactions: Joey Moss and nabob

Quokka

Oct 17, 2012
Regina, SK

1. Yamamoto
2. Bear
3. Jones
4. Skinner
5. Benson
6. Maksimov
7. Lagesson
8. Berglund
9. Marody
10. Samorukov
11. Safin
12. Gambardella
13. Russell (Danish)
14. Rasanen
15. Vesel
16. McPhee
17. Wells
18. Marino
19. Starrett

Would you have Hebig at 20 or lower? Or did you miss him?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I'm just gonna pile on since apparently it's pick on CO day haha. Did you miss Phil Kemp, or is that an intentional omission?

I omitted him as part of a black ops operation I’m running to keep him off of other teams radars.

So far the only guy who seems to be aware of how good he is is @Voodoo Glow Skulls - sneaky beggar always tries to grab him in deals.

(No I forgot him too. He’s around 14/15)

And before anyone says it I left off Desharnais because he sucks. Ditto Larkin.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
I omitted him as part of a black ops operation I’m running to keep him off of other teams radars.

So far the only guy who seems to be aware of how good he is is @Voodoo Glow Skulls - sneaky beggar always tries to grab him in deals.

(No I forgot him too. He’s around 14/15)

And before anyone says it I left off Desharnais because he sucks. Ditto Larkin.
Kemp is actually legit? Never hear much of him, aside from when he almost made the WJHC team. Is there NHL potential there?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Kemp is actually legit? Never hear much of him, aside from when he almost made the WJHC team. Is there NHL potential there?

Hard to say. I lean toward yes but he’s a deep sleeper. He had a pretty solid year at Yale even though they aren’t very good. We’re talking 3 years from NHL at least but that said I think he’s got a lot of potential. Definitely a steal in the 7th.

Reactions: ManitobaKid

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Why Safin so low? He’s top-7 for me. Plays on a crappy team but is big, fast, with plenty of puck skills. Doesn’t seem to be another Martindale or C.Hamilton (never of fan of either). He’s closer to Pitlick.

Reactions: HailMcJesus

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I didn't watch Safin's AHL games but 1 goal in 9 games at the end of the season doesn't sound promising.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I didn't watch Safin's AHL games but 1 goal in 9 games at the end of the season doesn't sound promising.
He was aruguably one of the more dangerous players on the ice and looked very good. Production wasn't there but he looked good to great whenever he was on the ice

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Can you guys give me some insight into Ethan Bear? Specifically what type of player he is and what role he projects as in the long-term. Thanks!

One of the harder ones to judge in the Oilers system, as he's generally always shattered expectations wherever he played. Even this year he was doing well in the AHL before getting a concussion ~15 games in. After that he slowed down, but I don't think anyone expected him to look good and hold his own (in a very limited role) at the NHL level to finish the season.

When he was drafted, it was his solid defensive play that was talked about, and how he took care of his own zone first. But it's his offence that has become his main selling point over the last few seasons. He has a high end slap shot and wrister, to go with good vision, passing, and hockey IQ. Plus he seems to have a good bit of drive and a solid head on his shoulders.

On the down side though, he's just average in size and speed (though his core strength is good), nor does he have those silky smooth moves of your traditional OFD. He was clearly still adjusting to the speed of the NHL (RE: a step behind) when he was in the defensive zone to finish the year.

Style wise I'd compare him to someone like Faulk (not saying he becomes an All Star, that's just whose play style he emulates). Not your traditional/smooth OFD, QB'ing the play or acting as a 4th forward; but his shot, vision, and IQ still make him a big threat.

Considering the Oil will likely have all of Larsson, Klefbom, Sekera, and Nurse locked up long term after this offseason, he's likely to just stay on the 3rd pairing, seeing big usage on the PP, if /when he makes the NHL. Though he has the upside to be more.

He's the one guy I'm concerned to lose to Seattle, as I can seem them keying in on him due to him playing his junior hockey there.

Reactions: Legionnaire11

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
1. Yamamoto
2. Bear
3. Jones
4. Skinner
5. Benson
6. Maksimov
7. Lagesson
8. Safin
9. Berglund
10. Marody
11. Samorukov
12: Hebig
13. Gambardella
14. Russell
15. Vesel

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013

Unsurprisingly, Phil Kemp is part of the american U20 evaluation camp for the WJC this summer. Probably has a decent shot at making the team this coming season.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Have to think Safin gets traded? Or does he play in the minors next season?

I live 1.5 hrs from Halifax and they are hosting the Mem Cup. I’m willing to bet he gets traded to Halifax next year. Halifax has 4 players rated in the top 30 (Zadina, Giroux, macIssac, Gravel). I think all players will be back with Halifax. I actually think Zadina will slip outta top 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->