2017-2018 NCAA Hockey Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GopherState

Repeat Offender...
Aug 8, 2008
X Marks The Spot
So if the NCHC Tourney is at the X, I assume that means the B1G Tourney will be played in Detroit again, in front of dozens of fans....

Big Ten is moving to on-campus sites this season (if you want the in-depth specifics, here's a good read). As one of the few people who was at both Detroit attempts, going on campus might be for the best. There was little promotion in the city and anywhere outside Joe Louis Arena. Fewer fans traveled. Minnesota had the second-biggest fanbase both times and the dream match-up (Michigan vs. Michigan State) happened once with 1/3 of the fans in the same building as a month prior.

Reactions: gphr513

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I had fun watching all the games at the X, but had no desire to make the trip to Detroit. It's probably better to change it to the new format. It'll get more fans involved.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Big Ten is moving to on-campus sites this season (if you want the in-depth specifics, here's a good read). As one of the few people who was at both Detroit attempts, going on campus might be for the best. There was little promotion in the city and anywhere outside Joe Louis Arena. Fewer fans traveled. Minnesota had the second-biggest fanbase both times and the dream match-up (Michigan vs. Michigan State) happened once with 1/3 of the fans in the same building as a month prior.
Campus sites will be so much better, I think. You'll get a guaranteed base of home support, particularly if it's Minnesota or Wisconsin. If they make the tickets affordable, I think it will be a real winner.

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
I had fun watching all the games at the X, but had no desire to make the trip to Detroit. It's probably better to change it to the new format. It'll get more fans involved.
I agree. It's nice the NCHC is at the X but I'd much rather have them on campus. Let's face it if UND doesn't make it to the X it will be a ghost town in there.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Mittelstadt puts up 4 points (1g-3a) in his first college game, an exhibition vs. Alberta.

Can't wait to get down to Mariucci this year and see him in person.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Eric Vegoe's Minnesota Season Preview is up on The Athletic.
“It was easy for me [coming back],” Sheehy said. “There are a lot of things here that we still haven’t accomplished. I want to win a national championship, I want to continue to do good things here, and at the end of the day I’m not ready to leave yet. I have a lot of best friends here, and we’ve got a lot of good guys coming in. I’m excited for this year, and what’s to come.”

Really excited to see what Sheehy and Mittelstadt can do together this year. If Casey comes in and plays up to his potential, that could be an absolutely lethal line.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Do you guys struggle with updates on college prospects like Belpedio, Duhaime, Greenway, and Misley or not? Sabres have prospects on SCSU, BC, PC, UMass, MN, PSU, UConn, WI, and Brown, so I'll probably be able to provide updates on a teammate or opponent as I bounce around those feeds. I'm eager to see Mittelstadt's debut Friday night though.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Do you guys struggle with updates on college prospects like Belpedio, Duhaime, Greenway, and Misley or not? Sabres have prospects on SCSU, BC, PC, UMass, MN, PSU, UConn, WI, and Brown, so I'll probably be able to provide updates on a teammate or opponent as I bounce around those feeds. I'm eager to see Mittelstadt's debut Friday night though.

Pretty sure this is the place for Middelstadt updates. I saw him in the USHL last year, others on here saw him in HS, and many are stoked to see him at UM.

I like updates on prospects, and don't watch east coast hockey at all.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Yeah, reports on east coast prospects would be appreciated!

I wish more east coast games were on TV but I rarely get to see them, unless they play on NBCSN.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
JD Greenway is out with a “personal issue.” I’ve heard rumors that he has two black eyes so I’m pretty curious as to what is going on with him.

Linus Weissbach is pretty fast. Excellent start to his college career with 2 goals against Tech last Sunday.

I’ll have more to say after watching the Badgers tonight. Any players you want me to specifically pay attention to?

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
I wish more east coast games were on TV but I rarely get to see them, unless they play on NBCSN.
Pending lineups, you should be able to get free viewings of Boka (UMich) and Misley (UVM) tonight if interested:
  • 6:00 CT - Michigan @ St. Lawrence - Link
  • 6:00 CT - Colorado College @ Vermont - Link
I’ll have more to say after watching the Badgers tonight. Any players you want me to specifically pay attention to?
Weissbach's enough for me, but I'll also catch any BTN2Go games, so not really a requirement either.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Misley starts on the third line: 25 Alvaro - 13 Misley - 28 Petruzzelli. I'd expect that he sees expanded TOI this game, as UVM's second line center was tossed in the 1st. Misley was out as part of their PK2 unit on that major kill, otherwise not much to note. 1-0 UVM over CC at the 1st INT, after a late PPG.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Love that the NCHC is locking down the TV rights to con people into paying for their little streaming service....

So dumb that this game against Duluth isn't televised anywhere.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Badgers flop against OSU. Gave up a goal with just over a minute to play. Badger players look like they need a bag skate. No hustle at all. Lot of standing and watching. Reffing was especially terrible. Several missed calls on OSU but then they get Hughes on an absolutely clean hit.

Weissbach got an assist. He’s fast but not very physical from what I can tell. Definitely thinks the game at a high level. He has a good shot.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Tyler Nanne living his dream with Gophers after a long recovery

By the time doctors eventually gave Tyler the OK to play hockey again in 2016, he had to find a new home in order to continue.

Enter Minnesota.

“It was a dream to play for the Gophers,” Tyler said. “When I wasn’t cleared to play at Ohio State it was kind of like, ‘Maybe hockey isn’t the path to take here and health is first.' After getting cleared and looking around for my options, I felt that coming to Minnesota, talking with the coaches, it was a good fit to step in.”

Getting closer to his own home and family were on Nanne’s list. The Gophers checked both boxes. The University of Minnesota was the school he grew up watching, where his father and grandfather once played. His cousin Vinni Lettieri was a member of the team at the time.

Nice article, Nate! It's nice to see Nanne getting to play for the Gophers. Had to have been tough to be away from home at Ohio State going through everything that he went through.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad