Status
Not open for further replies.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I really hope we get another Kessel moment :D
Slightly different situations. One was from Madison and the other is from Finland. One chose Minnesota over UW. The other couldn’t get into UW. Highly doubt Ranta will add any “spice” if he scores any goals against UW.

It will be okay after this upcoming season. Turcotte and Caufield coming in will ease the pain a ton.

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
758700D6-FDB7-4687-B3E6-02FA28682FF4.jpeg

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Yeah, apathetic fans at the end of the Lucia era + ridiculous ticket prices + tons of other options for things to do in the MSP area = sagging attendance.

It'll be interesting to see if Motzko will have the fans energized and coming out to see the team more.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Also the irregular playing times, as well as opponents that no one gives a shit about.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Switching to the big ten didn’t help at all. That and the prices are the 3 reasons for declining attendance in my opinion.
yup. When I first moved to this area I couldn't believe how hyped up people got about the Sioux/Gophers. Reminded me of the Leafs/Canadiens back in the glory days. Lots of hate!

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
yup. When I first moved to this area I couldn't believe how hyped up people got about the Sioux/Gophers. Reminded me of the Leafs/Canadiens back in the glory days. Lots of hate!
One reason I had season tickets for the Sioux was because of that series in Grand Forks. At least they are playing each other again

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Not to mention the lack of all games being televised. There is ZERO reason to have a Gopher hockey game not on TV.
You could say that about all of the big ten hockey teams. One of the biggest reasons for big ten hockey was the money. The more games televised the more the revenue, no? They really need to televise all the games.

Reactions: TaLoN

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
One reason I had season tickets for the Sioux was because of that series in Grand Forks. At least they are playing each other again
It really was something special. I hope it can recapture at least some of that magic now that we'll be playing each other again, hopefully on a regular basis.

Gophers vs. Sioux was my most anticipated MN sports matchup of the year. More than Vikings vs. Packers.

Reactions: Dakota Sioux

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
It really was something special. I hope it can recapture at least some of that magic now that we'll be playing each other again, hopefully on a regular basis.

Gophers vs. Sioux was my most anticipated MN sports matchup of the year. More than Vikings vs. Packers.
Nothing surpasses Vikings vs Packers. :noway:

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Nothing surpasses Vikings vs Packers. :noway:
I feel like that was fairly one sided up until recently. Maybe when Favre played with Minnesota it had spice but other that, can’t say playing Minnesota was all that marquee. Back when the Bears and mister “pick 6” were the closest thing to a threat in the NFC North.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I feel like that was fairly one sided up until recently. Maybe when Favre played with Minnesota it had spice but other that, can’t say playing Minnesota was all that marquee. Back when the Bears and mister “pick 6” were the closest thing to a threat in the NFC North.

It's currently a "little brother" game for MN; just like it used to be for GB against the Purple People Eaters. GB/MN haven't historically been good at the same time to make it a marquee matchup. Cousins/Rodgers over the next 3 years could do a lot to change that.

Pats (Brady/Rodgers) and Seahawks (still a lot of bitterness with replacement refs season) are the games most Packers fan have circled as their marquee games.

Reactions: Digitalbooya

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Past 20 games, Packers lead the series 11-8-1.
It's currently a "little brother" game for MN; just like it used to be for GB against the Purple People Eaters. GB/MN haven't historically been good at the same time to make it a marquee matchup. Cousins/Rodgers over the next 3 years could do a lot to change that.

Pats (Brady/Rodgers) and Seahawks (still a lot of bitterness with replacement refs season) are the games most Packers fan have circled as their marquee games.
Most of the 90's it was Vikes and Packers fighting it out for the division.

The Vikes fell off in the early mid 2000's though, got back up a bit late 2000's for a short time, but then really resurged under Zimmer.

The 80's were pretty strange in the series though, the Vikes were regularly fighting for the division, the packers weren't, yet the Packers would win most of the time head to head.

You have to go all the way back to the 70's for anything longer than a 5 game win streak for one side or the other

Last edited:

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Since 2010: Packers 11-5-1. When Rodgers plays it makes the series even more lopsided. Alas, this isn’t the thread for this discussion.

Gophers suck. Bunch a hosers.
And 7-5-1 since 2012. Change the sample size by a few years and it looks more lopsided one way or the other.

Edit: Wait, what? This is the NCAA hockey thread? Whoops. :laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: TaLoN
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad