2017/2018 Management Discussion | NEW MOD WARNING IN OP AS OF 5/20/18

Status
Not open for further replies.

megatron

Dec 11, 2016
Linden: It's gotta be the right fit, the right piece. It's hard... It's not just X player is worth this because that's what I think. I've heard people talk about creating a market for players which is ridiculous. That's impossible to do. There's a set market. #Canucks

Unbelievable, when I first read that I thought it was satire. The I saw the post below indicating that's what he actually said.

People deservedly give Benning a lot of heat for his mismanagement but most of the blame should be on Linden. It was Linden who hired Benning based in large part to their previous relationship as teammates.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002

:biglaugh:You can't make this stuff up

If it's the "right fit, the right piece", of course the draft pick value is going to be low, or no market at all for getting a draft pick with a right fit, right piece player. Who would include a draft pick for a player who's the right fit, the right piece? They'd be inclined to keep a player who's a right fit, the right piece... or there will be multiple teams in on getting a right fit, right piece player. The trick is to get the "wrong fit, the wrong piece"... that's why teams attach higher draft pick value to poor or injured players on poor contracts... Hossa is the "right fit, the right piece"... not to actually play on the team, and help the Canucks make the playoffs, but the "right fit, the right piece" to get a quality draft pick for.

They are just doing the same things they have always done... using different terms... and being seemingly open to new strategies, without really being open to them.

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
What in the...

That has got to be the dumbest comment I've seen from them. Absolute idiocy.

What sets the market in trades with Vancouver is supply, demand, and Canucks stupidity.

I've taken a f***ing course on market creation / market penetration and product positioning... and this was 20 years ago. They don't have the skills to run an ice cream truck successfully... let alone a multi million dollar operation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Seattle Totems

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

All these guys have done since the wheels fell off in 15/16 season is make excuse after excuse as to why they are somehow unable to do their job with an average amount of competency.

This is an absolute nightmare and a continuation of the "age gap" trash that has absolutely decimated our team's depth. And if it's some 28 year old like ROR....they they are already 5 years too old for this team's core.

Reactions: Krnuckfan

NucksRock

May 16, 2018
All these guys have done since the wheels fell off in 15/16 season is make excuse after excuse as to why they are somehow unable to do their job with an average amount of competency.

This is an absolute nightmare and a continuation of the "age gap" trash that has absolutely decimated our team's depth. And if it's some 28 year old like ROR....they they are already 5 years too old for this team's core.
Where do the words prospect or young and ROR seem to merge to the same point for you?

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Where do the words prospect or young and ROR seem to merge to the same point for you?

It's not necessarily ROR, but we've seen plenty of "young players in the NHL" like Baertschi, Etem, Motte, Pouliot, Granlund, etc. acquired to accelerate development that have fallen flat on their faces for the most part. If that's his idea of young NHL players, then I want no part of what he's trying to put together.

And if the interpretation of a young NHLer is a 26-28 year old, then that's too old.

NucksRock

May 16, 2018
It's not necessarily ROR, but we've seen plenty of "young players in the NHL" like Baertschi, Etem, Motte, Pouliot, Granlund, etc. acquired to accelerate development that have fallen flat on their faces for the most part. If that's his idea of young NHL players, then I want no part of what he's trying to put together.

And if the interpretation of a young NHLer is a 26-28 year old, then that's too old.

Fair points on the 21-24 year olds. My point is I don’t think he’s suggesting ROR is young. That being said I’m not averse to ROR “at the right price” . He’s only 27 and his underlying advanced stats actually show he’s one of the top 2 way centres in the league and that’s on a crap Buffalo team.

We have cap room, he takes #1 , Bo then Guadette then Sutter.

All depends on cost

member 290103

Listened to Jim on 1040 this afternoon. I thought he sounded pretty high on Wahlstrom. He keeps talking about picking the best player available - regardless of need. He said he thought a few forwards might fall to them. He also said that there were two players they interviewed that blew them away. Sekeres said they have hardly talked to Bouchard.

Wonder if they go for Wahlstrom? Maybe Tkachuk?

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Reactions: Canadian Club

member 290103

I would rather have Benning than Linden.

It's not even a debate in my mind.

totally agree. Linden is way more of a problem than anyone makes him out to be. I honestly believe that a lot of the terrible moves made over the past reign have been at his direction. He likes Dim in there as he can just tell him what to do and he does it.

Linden's got a massive ego and thinks he is smarter than everyone else, when in fact, in most cases, the converse is true.

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada

Problem with Hossa specifically is (according to LeBrun) they(the Blackhawks) view Hossa as a gift in a sense to teams whereas teams who would potentially take it want an add-on. He only has to be paid 1M per year for 3 years in actual salary and his 5.275 caphit is a easy way for budget teams wanting to reach the cap floor.

If the Canucks were looking at this I think the most you could expect is a 3rd round pick or something.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
totally agree. Linden is way more of a problem than anyone makes him out to be. I honestly believe that a lot of the terrible moves made over the past reign have been at his direction. He likes Dim in there as he can just tell him what to do and he does it.

Linden's got a massive ego and thinks he is smarter than everyone else, when in fact, in most cases, the converse is true.
Yep and Benning is there to take the heat when things don't work out. Of course Trevor's 'comfort level' always needs to be cushy cozy with whoever's going to be around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad