2017-2018 Blues Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
Please don't be another Lindstrom. I'm all for the Blues giving Euro guys a look, though, so long as DA doesn't count on that Euro player to make the team.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Can't really complain about a free asset, as long as we aren't going to make stupid decisions to try and shoehorn him onto the NHL roster. I've not seen much of him at all, but is he a particularly strong skater? It has never really appeared so when I have watched him. Being on the smaller side, you'd hope that skating would make up for it.

If he is happy to play in the AHL, it should be a good signing no matter what. It'll be a cheap, 1 year ELC. There is no risk, outside of bad management decisions.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Eh, worth a shot. Wasn't terribly impressive in that highlight package, but that doesn't mean a whole lot. Led the league in scoring so we'll see. Donskoi had similar numbers at a similar age in Liiga and has been a useful piece in San Jose. Hopefully we get lucky. If not, whatever. Pretty much no risk in the signing.

Reactions: BlueDream

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Give the guy a shot. It could work out. The only issue would be if it prevented us from making another move, but I doubt that would be the case.

No, but you sure gave it your best shot anyways

I didn't see a complaint. I saw a caveat and a question. With the Blues team track record, it is always a good idea to mark all opinions with an asterisk "*unless management does something stupid to ruin it"

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
No, but you sure gave it your best shot anyways
Yeah, I'm not going to blindly trust a GM who had us playing three bottom-6 calibre lines for the majority of last season.

I'm glad we have an increased focus on European, and college, UFA's. That doesn't change the fact that Suomela could earn far more than the ~$70k AHL salary by staying in Europe, so there isn't a big incentive for him to come over without getting an NHL spot.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Yeah, I'm not going to blindly trust a GM who had us playing three bottom-6 calibre lines for the majority of last season.

I'm glad we have an increased focus on European, and college, UFA's. That doesn't change the fact that Suomela could earn far more than the ~$70k AHL salary by staying in Europe, so there isn't a big incentive for him to come over without getting an NHL spot.

If he comes over, I'm guessing that it will be with a European Assignment Clause. No guarantee of an NHL job, with the ability to go to Europe and make his NHL salary (paid by the European team) if he doesn't stick.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Found a really interesting article written by @Appleyard on the Athletic that gives a great description of Suomela as a player and his development (LINK). Not sure how much I am allowed to quote from the article and post here, but suffice to say it is a must read if you have an Athletic subscription and want to know more about Suomela!

EDIT: here is the beginning of the write up about Suomela
In every sport there are players who simply need their physical maturity to match up to their skill level before suddenly breaking out. The man from the Helsinki suburbs falls firmly within that category.

Finnish Parayko: Confirmed :sarcasm:

Last edited:

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Robbie Thomas interview with Mile Stubbs
ncZaVJYA_bigger.jpg
Mike Stubbs‏Verified account @stubbs980 3h3 hours ago

Robert Thomas of the Hamilton Bulldogs talks about heading to the

@MCMemorialCup and about tough drills in practice that really do pay off.
https://omny.fm/shows/am980/robert-thomas-of-the-hamilton-bulldogs …

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I'll say this about Suomela: I'll be excited about the signing IF it means we're dumping both Sobotka and Berglund. Then I can live with it. And I think that's a reasonable request. If Thomas is making the team, and we're adding an outside player plus allowing a couple prospects to fight for one more spot, there's no room for those guys anymore.

But I don't want another situation of something like being stuck with both Lehtera and Berglund on the team and one of them being forced into the 2C role.

Reactions: alwaysBlue

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I'll say this about Suomela: I'll be excited about the signing IF it means we're dumping both Sobotka and Berglund. Then I can live with it. And I think that's a reasonable request. If Thomas is making the team, and we're adding an outside player plus allowing a couple prospects to fight for one more spot, there's no room for those guys anymore.

But I don't want another situation of something like being stuck with both Lehtera and Berglund on the team and one of them being forced into the 2C role.

He's 24. He'll be 24 until the end of next season. He has to sign a 1-yr ELC to play this coming year. All ELCs are two-way contracts with a max of $925k. That is a totally buriable AHL contract with no salary cap and little real dollar implications. There is no way possible we can be stuck with Suomela on the NHL team if he can't pull his weight. If we want to trade Berglund I am all for it, but I wouldn't predicate signing Suomela on it. If Suomela works out, we can always trade Berglund mid-season

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
It’s very rare that we tip our hand to this extent. If it’s true that both Jackman and Brodeur have both been tracking him, that’s the kind of information we don’t frequently hear, so it’s notable.

I like what I’m watching and reading about Suomela. He seems like he would fit into what we’re trying to build. It’s also nice that he can get out of his HIFK contract next season if we sign him.

Reactions: Shwabeal

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
He's 24. He'll be 24 until the end of next season. He has to sign a 1-yr ELC to play this coming year. All ELCs are two-way contracts with a max of $925k. That is a totally buriable AHL contract with no salary cap and little real dollar implications. There is no way possible we can be stuck with Suomela on the NHL team if he can't pull his weight. If we want to trade Berglund I am all for it, but I wouldn't predicate signing Suomela on it. If Suomela works out, we can always trade Berglund mid-season
Yeah, you’re ultimately correct.

I guess the point I was trying to make is that if we sign the guy, I’d like to give him an opportunity to see what he can do in the NHL instead of just sending him down and watching him leave. I think just with the combination of Fabbri coming back, Thomas making the team, Thompson/Kyrou battling for spots among others (Blais, Sanford, etc) and the likelihood IMO that we add 2 top 9 forwards via trade/free agency, and now maybe this guy being brought in, I’d just like to see both Sobotka and Berglund go to create some room that may be necessary

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
I would hope that the Blues are starting to invest more in their pro scouting department with the clear emergence of BA and the amateur scouting (not even really an emergence, we've known he's been good). I've been asking for some scouting in Europe ever since I watched a number of NHL clubs pick up players while the Blues were idle and let some good assets go to other teams. I dont know anything about Suomela, so I hope if he signs, he can be a good player for us, and I would think this would mean one of Sobotka or Beglund is out the door. Having said that, I hope there is a lot of competition in training camp because we have to improve out bottom 6 dramatically if we really want to do any damage in the post season.

Reactions: Celtic Note

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
Seems like he’d be brought in as insurance/competition for Fabbri and Thomas. Army isn’t just gonna “give” them roster spots. I also assumed one of Sobotka/Berglund will be gone no matter what, but I’m curious if this means we’re looking to potentially move both.

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
Seems like he’d be brought in as insurance/competition for Fabbri and Thomas. Army isn’t just gonna “give” them roster spots. I also assumed one of Sobotka/Berglund will be gone no matter what, but I’m curious if this means we’re looking to potentially move both.
They were both available at the trade deadline so I wouldn't doubt he's trying to move one or both this off-season. I am one that definitely hopes it's both, but I'd live with one now and one at the TDL.

alwaysBlue

Jan 17, 2018
Suomela is a no risk signing. It's basically adding another prospect with substantial talent, and one that can make a difference this year, for nothing but an ELC. If this happens, great job by the scouting department. Don't expect him to be Panarin, but we could definitely see him carve out a role with the NHL team.

Reactions: CaliBlues710

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
I don't know anything about him at all except for what's been posted in here, but it's good to see the Blues willing to throw their hat in the ring on guys like this now.

There should be zero expectations for him, so it's great if he turns into something, and very little lost if he doesn't.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
Man watching Thomas it is just so apparent that he thinks the game at a much higher level than anyone else at this level of play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad