2017-2018 Blues Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Imagine if Thomas and Kyrou turn out better than Tarasenko and Schwartz. I don’t think it’s unrealistic either
I think that's extremely unrealistic, but would love to be wrong!

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I think that's extremely unrealistic, but would love to be wrong!

I don’t think it’s that unrealistic. Its going to be fun to see for sure. Thomas has #1 center written all over him and Kyrou is just electric. He drives the play.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
I think we’d be counting our lucky stars if either Thomas or Kyrou managed a season that Tarasenko just had. You know, the season that everyone agreed was Tarasenko’s worst in terms of play and the worst statistical year he’s had since his sophomore season. Expecting both of them to do better is like expecting to win the lottery twice.

Last edited:

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Well you can make a case that Johnny Gaudreau is better than Tarasenko. So if Kyrou becomes someone like that...

Thomas could very well become better than Schwartz.

Is it realistic? Probably not. But is it possible? Yes. Far crazier things have happened.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I'll be ecstatic if they become 60pt players. Not bad for a late first and early 2nd rounder. Kids are too hard to predict in the NhL today. Young guys can be impact players, small guys can be impact players....look at gourde and point for example....

Reactions: tfriede2

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
If we are going to target wingers with one year of term remaining, why not Panarin? I would overpay considerably with a realistic chance at resigning him. Still irked that we didn't sign him when he came over to the NHL given the intel we had.

Would Columbus be interested in something like this?

2018 WPG 1st
Fabbri
Berglund
Conditional 2019 1st

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
If we are going to target wingers with one year of term remaining, why not Panarin? I would overpay considerably with a realistic chance at resigning him. Still irked that we didn't sign him when he came over to the NHL given the intel we had.

2018 WPG 1st
Fabbri
Berglund
Conditional 2019 1st

Well, there’s been no indication that he’s available, that I’m aware of...sure, it’d be nice, but it could be like teams offering up a similar package next offseason for Schenn...why would the Blues do that (and thus why would CBJ do it)?

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
The Athletic prospect writer Scott Wheeler did a re-draft of the 2015 draft and he has Dunn ranked 18th. Seems about right.

Wheeler: A 2015 NHL draft re-draft and retrospective look...

Just another reminder that the Bill Armstrong did very well (again) getting Dunn late in the 2nd round.

It hurt not having a 1st that year (stupid Ryan Miller trade grumble grumble) but BA really helped lessen the blow by getting Dunn in the 2nd.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014

2018 WPG 1st
Fabbri
Berglund
Conditional 2019 1st
Would you trade Tarasenko for that. There's your answer. Panarin will not be available unless he doesn't want to re sign with columbus

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
The Athletic prospect writer Scott Wheeler did a re-draft of the 2015 draft and he has Dunn ranked 18th. Seems about right.

Just another reminder that the Bill Armstrong did very well (again) getting Dunn late in the 2nd round.

It hurt not having a 1st that year (stupid Ryan Miller trade grumble grumble) but BA really helped lessen the blow by getting Dunn in the 2nd.

That’s partially why I’m confused by the apparent consensus to trade away our 4th 1st rounder in 2 years come June. In retrospect, I think everyone is salty that we missed out on that 2015 pick, which could have been Roslovic, Beauvillier, Fischer, or Aho, all of whom would be more valuable to us today than what came from that trade. So whence the desire to rush headlong into the same mistakes?

Obviously this draft class is nowhere near as strong as 2015’s, but all the more reason to keep our highest picks, imo.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO

Also Erik Foley was his second honorable mention, so that’s nice too

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
Would you trade Tarasenko for that. There's your answer. Panarin will not be available unless he doesn't want to re sign with columbus
I think we could make a pretty compelling offer that would be hard for them to say no to.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I think we could make a pretty compelling offer that would be hard for them to say no to.
No, not really. Columbus is competing now. You have to give them now players, not futures. Fabbri isnt going to carry much value for a team that needs scoring forwards now. With Fabbri, he's boom/bust

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Also Erik Foley was his second honorable mention, so that’s nice too

Good catch! Yes, I’d agree Foley is a borderline 1st round caliber talent based on what he accomplished in college hockey. I’m really happy Paulie Walnuts has a good chance to win the Cup but Army did a good job getting value for Stas.

Reactions: Blueston

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
It looks like Anton Andersson was drafted in the 9th round of the USHL Entry Draft by the Fargo Force. Not sure that means anything significant, but I thought it would at least be worth noting. It might not be bad to have him come over and get used to the NA ice and stuff I guess, and the USHL would be an easier adjustment than the ECHL or anything like that I suppose.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
That’s partially why I’m confused by the apparent consensus to trade away our 4th 1st rounder in 2 years come June. In retrospect, I think everyone is salty that we missed out on that 2015 pick, which could have been Roslovic, Beauvillier, Fischer, or Aho, all of whom would be more valuable to us today than what came from that trade. So whence the desire to rush headlong into the same mistakes?

Obviously this draft class is nowhere near as strong as 2015’s, but all the more reason to keep our highest picks, imo.

Where are you coming up with 4? We traded two 1sts in the Schenn trade. Winnipeg's would be a third, so what's the fourth?

Unless I'm having a huge brain fart, it would be three 1st rounders traded in 2 years and ignoring that we still drafted twice in the 1st round last year. There is a massive difference between not having a 1st round pick at all and drafting two guys in the 1st round. Assuming we trade Winnipeg's 1st for top 6 help, that just means that we essentially traded expiring contract for longer term help by using a middleman at the trade deadline.

At the end of the day, here is what the ledger would look like for the last 2 years:

3 months of Shatty, 3 months of Stastny, 14th overall in 2018, Ryan Reaves, 2017 51st overall, and whatever prospect we deal along with Winnipeg's 1st

for

3 years of Brayden Schenn, whatever guy we trade for at this draft, Sanford, Sundqvist, Foley, 31st overall in 2017.

That's way different than the Miller trade. We can't judge that overall ledger until we know who we trade for and what else we have to ship out, but no matter what it isn't just blindly mortgaging the future. We retained our 1st in 2017 and drafted Thomas, acquired a 1st to offset one of the 1sts we traded, and acquired talent to contribute for multiple years. We're still stocking the cupboard in this 2 year period by adding Thomas, Kostin, Foley, and Sanford during this period, so it's not like we're just sitting out and watching our prospect pool shrink. Trading 1sts for rental help would be silly, but that's not at all what Army is doing.

Reactions: BlueDream

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
The fourth would be Winnipeg's 1st assuming we trade it (which is the apparent consensus that Morty was referring to).

:teach:
That doesn't make any sense. Brian included that as the 3rd 1st.

- The 2 1sts for Schenn
- Winnipeg's 1st

We didn't trade another 1st round pick in the last 2 years. It would only be 3.

And he's right about that argument not telling the full story. We just had two 1st round picks last year... it's not like we've gone multiple years without a pick.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
That doesn't make any sense. Brian included that as the 3rd 1st.

- The 2 1sts for Schenn
- Winnipeg's 1st

We didn't trade another 1st round pick in the last 2 years. It would only be 3.

And he's right about that argument not telling the full story. We just had two 1st round picks last year... it's not like we've gone multiple years without a pick.
Oh I see what you mean, the missing pick would be the 2015 1st then. I got confused because, chronologically speaking, the Winnipeg 1st would be the 4th and the 2015 1st would be the first...

Reactions: MortiestOfMortys

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Oh I see what you mean, the missing pick would be the 2015 1st then. I got confused because, chronologically speaking, the Winnipeg 1st would be the 4th and the 2015 1st would be the first...

But we're talking about the last 2 years. If we're including the 2018 draft in this discussion, then the 2015 1st we traded was 4 drafts ago. So it's either three 1st rounders traded in the last 2 years (out of 5 that we held in that time frame) or four 1st rounders in the last 4 years (out of the 7 we've held).

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
But we're talking about the last 2 years. If we're including the 2018 draft in this discussion, then the 2015 1st we traded was 4 drafts ago. So it's either three 1st rounders traded in the last 2 years (out of 5 that we held in that time frame) or four 1st rounders in the last 4 years (out of the 7 we've held).

I've been around this bend with Morty before. He is assuming a Thompson/Kostin + 1st trade for top 6 help. Tage/Klim would be the 4th 1st, since they were drafted in the first recently and have not regressed in value significantly from when they were picked. Save your arguments about how we also added futures during that time as well. I have made them before and they fall on deaf ears.

Reactions: BlueDream

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
I've been around this bend with Morty before. He is assuming a Thompson/Kostin + 1st trade for top 6 help. Tage/Klim would be the 4th 1st, since they were drafted in the first recently and have not regressed in value significantly from when they were picked. Save your arguments about how we also added futures during that time as well. I have made them before and they fall on deaf ears.

Not deaf ears, I see your perspective clearly I just disagree. But for all the crap Zach Sanford got after the Shattenkirk trade (unfairly imo), I find it disingenuous for people to be pointing to him now and saying “look now it’s ok to trade better prospects.” They aren’t futures if you keep trading them before they develop!

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Martin Brodeur says in an interview (article in Finnish) that Blues are interested in Finnish UFA center Antti Suomela. He had a lengthy conversation with Suomela at the Worlds.

Brodeur also says that Blues scouts are excited about Suomela and they think he could be a useful player for them.

Very cool. He seems to have crazy quick reflexes, gets shots off in the blink of an eye in/through traffic. He can tip it.

Posting because of the sick Goo Goo Dolls song:

Reactions: Bluesguru
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad