GDT: 2017-18 Training Camp and Preseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
For as much as Sakic has bungled the Duchene saga, Duchene is making it 10 times worse by how he's acting. Bud, you're an Av whether you like it or not, so have some respect for the paying customer and at least pretend you don't hate your life.

At this point it'd just be embarrassing to see him with that jersey out on the ice. It's a shame that he's going to be leaving his childhood team under these circumstances. The relationship has clearly fractured. Will us fans remember him as the exciting speedster or as a pouty child?

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
He's here, he doesn't have to act happy about it.

And yeah it sucks for the fans who fell in love with the kid who fist pumped after not being drafted. But that's who it sucks for, us. It's the fans who I feel sorry for, not the team or Duchene. It is going to be hard watching him play, hell even on the ice tomorrow knowing what's going on.

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
He's here, he doesn't have to act happy about it.

And yeah it sucks for the fans who fell in love with the kid who fist pumped after not being drafted. But that's who it sucks for, us. It's the fans who I feel sorry for, not the team or Duchene. It is going to be hard watching him play, hell even on the ice tomorrow knowing what's going on.

Its just such a strange situation, I've never seen anything like it in my 20 odd years of watching hockey, where you have a star player who has made it so public that he wants out yet remains with the team and has taken to publicly sulking. There was the Martin St Louis situation in Tampa, but at least things were handled behind closed doors.

There have been players that have requested trades (Pronger in Edmonton, Heatley in Ottawa), which were done before the player had a chance to play again for that team. Hamonic wanted out due to family reasons and Drouin kissed and made up after he returned.

I suppose Luongo wanted out of Vancover in season, and that was pretty well known, but I don't recall him being so negative about everything.

Even ROR, though everyone knew he wanted out, had a decent (public) attitude while under contract.

DanishAvsfan

Aug 27, 2007
The sad thing is that this drops Duchene's value further making a trade even less likely. I mean who wants to spend 6 mil on someone who acts like that in a salary cap era?

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Hopefully he starts with some respectable numbers in the first 10-15 games.

Worst case is that he goes scoreless and is a minus and so on and so on.

Then his value will have dropped to "conditional 4th" levels

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Some things of note looking at that roster:

- Totally forgot we have David Warsofsky on this team lol fully expect him to be here on opening night, though. He'll easily, easily beat out Siemens for a 7/8 spot on this club.

- Interesting to see Compher listed at LW. I wonder if that's where they plan on using him.

- Thought we were done watching a slow #32 trudge around the ice but here comes Jared Cowen to take that number and put Beauch to shame with his own lack of speed

- I know there were some people who do a lot of scouting that suggested the difference between Cale Makar and Conor Timmins isn't actually that substantial, but does anyone else feel Timmins attending camp is going to benefit him a lot more than Makar not being able to attend due to NCAA rules? Not saying he'll surpass him instantly, but if people think they're close, this could be something that gets Timmins an inside edge to cracking the Avs next season ahead of Makar.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Greer doesn't have the inside track on Jost because he was in camp last year instead. Seeing the way they are using Timmins it's pretty obvious he's not going to be an option anytime soon. His next camp is going to be the big one but he hasn't shown he's ahead of his age group thus far. If Makar leaves school this year he could conceivably get at least a month of AHL time or even NHL time, that will put him ahead significantly.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I've finally figured it out. Zadorov is not signed because they're scared he'll hurt Duchene and he'll be untradeable.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
I've finally figured it out. Zadorov is not signed because they're scared he'll hurt Duchene and he'll be untradeable.

Yeah but then Duchene would no longer disrupt the lockerroom and Sakic has an excuse to point to when asked why Duchene has not been traded yet and the drama would stop...

So basically Joe if you are reading this, you know what to do..

Give Z a call... :sarcasm:

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
I don't really recall people saying Timmins was close to Makar? The WJC Summer Showcase I think made it pretty clear which one has the tools to be an anchor on the 2018 TC blueline and which one was at times over his head.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I don't really recall people saying Timmins was close to Makar? The WJC Summer Showcase I think made it pretty clear which one has the tools to be an anchor on the 2018 TC blueline and which one was at times over his head.

Yeah, I was there most of that week. There was zero comparison. Makar was basically getting comfortable around new players and figuring out he was able to play among the best of them.

Timmins looked so much more raw than anyone knew directly after he was drafted. He looked like a player who had a lot of talent that still needed a lot of work. That is typical to find in the late 1st early 2nd rounds.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Yeah, I was there most of that week. There was zero comparison. Makar was basically getting comfortable around new players and figuring out he was able to play among the best of them.

Timmins looked so much more raw than anyone knew directly after he was drafted. He looked like a player who had a lot of talent that still needed a lot of work. That is typical to find in the late 1st early 2nd rounds.

Not everyone develops at the same pace. It's not about where they are at right now but where they'll be 2-3 years from now and hopefully that's both of them challenging for an NHL roster spot.

I saw Makar as a Tyson Barrie type of defender, a guy who still has question marks defensively but his offensive game is top notch. When I say 'question marks defensively' I'm NOT saying he sucks defensively, I'm saying it's still unclear how good he can be in that aspect of the game...it's an unknown.

I saw Conor Timmins as a bit more of a two-way guy but very much in the Justin Faulk mold...I still see him that way.

I think both will be NHL players in time.

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017

Some people were high on Timmins. Bender ranked him #6 overall in the draft and Makar at #12.
Link to the topic: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2360841

EDIT: Oh he just posted before me, oops.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site

Really, I thought it was because Sakic heard about the research indicating that true multi-tasking isn't possible and so has thrown all his efforts into not picking up the phone. Unfortunately, that means that he can't negotiate with Zadorov while he isn't negotiating with other teams GMs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad