Salary Cap: 2017-18 Roster Building Thread VI | Contract/FA charts in Post #1 | CAP SET at $75M

Status
Not open for further replies.

JakeNBake59

WizardofFire
Feb 20, 2016
Crosby's back yard
Chris Nichols†@NicholsOnHockey 6m6 minutes ago

"I think there’s a lot of teams" that want to at least talk to Thornton. #SJSharks #Preds #Leafs #Habs #NYR #CBJ

One popular man. I think he stays in San Jose to be honest. Saw something else that he isnt visiting but is listening to offers. But I could get behind the idea of him as the 3rd center is Bones doesnt come back

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
The thing about Thornton is he can go to SJ, be with his family, and be traded at the deadline to any team he wants. I have it at like a 90% chance he stays.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
The thing about Thornton is he can go to SJ, be with his family, and be traded at the deadline to any team he wants. I have it at like a 90% chance he stays.

I think he is most likely to do the above to. Not need to go anywhere else really.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Wasn't he looking for a 3yr deal though from SJ?
That would make him pretty untradeable if SJ did that.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Nashville should sign Thornton. Overpay a little. They're not gonna find a better 2C without moving one of their D.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Never once said he was done. So I'm not sure what you're getting at. Would you rather some him as opposed to Kessel? Didn't think so.

That's what I was getting at.

You didn't even bother looking at what the conversation was. Now you look silly. :shakehead

Chris Nichols†@NicholsOnHockey 6m6 minutes ago

"I think there’s a lot of teams" that want to at least talk to Thornton. #SJSharks #Preds #Leafs #Habs #NYR #CBJ

One popular man. I think he stays in San Jose to be honest. Saw something else that he isnt visiting but is listening to offers. But I could get behind the idea of him as the 3rd center is Bones doesnt come back

Pens aren't looking at Thornton. I will eat my shoes if he signs here.

Nashville should sign Thornton. Overpay a little. They're not gonna find a better 2C without moving one of their D.

What's Mike Fischer up to now that I think about it?

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Would JR be interested in Nail Yakupov?

Don't see why... I mean where would he play? We already have 6 top 9 wingers in Guentzel, Sheary, Rust, Hagelin, Hornqvist and Kessel that he's not going to bump out. And while Wilson, Kuhnhackl and Reaves might not be the best players... as 4th liners they're fine.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
6 year deal with a 4.5 average would be great for Schultz. Great for the Pens' cap. Great for bringing in additional players via FA.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Because:

A. Yakupov sucks, let's get that cleared up immediately.
B. The Penguins are already literally overflowing with young wingers, to the point where they might have to lose one (or more) to waivers or just dumping them for picks. Signing Yakupov to a 2 way deal (which doesn't prevent him from going on waivers) doesn't help that problem, especially if you have any inclination of giving him a shot in the NHL before burying him in the AHL.
C. Yakupov has the hockey IQ of a carrot, which makes me think he'd be a terrible fit in this system despite his speed.
D. Signing the bust Yakupov has no upside for the Penguins because even if he somehow manages to piece it all together, the Penguins don't even need him in the first place and he'd be at best our 6th best winger long term (behind Kessel, Hornqvist, Sprong, Sheary and Guentzel). They don't need him on the PP because that's where Crosby and Malkin play and they don't need him at ES because that's where Kessel, Sprong, Rust, Hornqvist and Sheary will spend time playing.

Even if one disagrees with your opinion of Yak and his IQ and whatever potential he may or may not have...

I don't see how anyone can argue that we need him or even have room for him. This is probably the first time we can say this since Crosby came here. We have multiple skilled wingers and were the top scoring team in the league last year. If one isn't a center, I don't see where they fit in. Sure if they're good (Landy good) we'll make room... but for someone who's struggled over the years... why?

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
Sid's contract really helps the team not only in regard to his own value, by as an example for some others to stay for a little less.

That's tough to say, though, as far as an example. He signed his deal before they made cap dollars equal salary dollars.

Sids salary was 10.9 mil this year.

High Flying Birds

Aug 29, 2009
Victoria, B.C
Grigorenko is definitely the kind of player we should be looking at. He's been on some awful teams in Buffalo and Colorado. Being surrounded by winners might turn around his career. Still young and has potential.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Grigoreko would actually be a good buy low candidate, but isn't it concerning that he's not even getting a QO from by far the worst team in hockey? I also recall there being questions about his ability to play center in the past.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
If you want a player who can't score goals, Grigorenko is the ticket.

Mike Lange Version 2

Jun 8, 2015
Houston, TX
Grigoreko would actually be a good buy low candidate, but isn't it concerning that he's not even getting a QO from by far the worst team in hockey? I also recall there being questions about his ability to play center in the past.

He's being asked to do more than here. I think he'd be great as our 4C. Put him with Reaves and an LW with some skill and they'll get what we need done on that line. Wouldn't give him a lot of money though, that's for sure.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh

idk, it's joe sakic, is it really that surprising lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad