Salary Cap: 2017-18 Roster Building Thread VI | Contract/FA charts in Post #1 | CAP SET at $75M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I would never give him any guarantees, and if that is what he is looking for then he can go seek it (like the rumor that he is interested in Vancouver), BUT if Yakupov has some interest in a two-way contract with us, or a PTO or any kind of non-guaranteed deal, then why not?

You can never bring in enough talent. If he is willing to sacrifice and battle for a job, I have no issue with that.

If he is going to seek ice time when he goes to market on July 1, then he will not be on our radar that's for sure.

Because:

A. Yakupov sucks, let's get that cleared up immediately.
B. The Penguins are already literally overflowing with young wingers, to the point where they might have to lose one (or more) to waivers or just dumping them for picks. Signing Yakupov to a 2 way deal (which doesn't prevent him from going on waivers) doesn't help that problem, especially if you have any inclination of giving him a shot in the NHL before burying him in the AHL.
C. Yakupov has the hockey IQ of a carrot, which makes me think he'd be a terrible fit in this system despite his speed.
D. Signing the bust Yakupov has no upside for the Penguins because even if he somehow manages to piece it all together, the Penguins don't even need him in the first place and he'd be at best our 6th best winger long term (behind Kessel, Hornqvist, Sprong, Sheary and Guentzel). They don't need him on the PP because that's where Crosby and Malkin play and they don't need him at ES because that's where Kessel, Sprong, Rust, Hornqvist and Sheary will spend time playing.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
I thought he was an LW. There's Archibald and whoever else as well.
I think he can play all three forward positions. The Pens have him listed as a C but I'm not sure what position they see his future at.

ETA: The development camp roster has him listed as RW.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...ing-a-long-term-contract/stories/201706260140

Idk if this was mentioned because I was at work all day today, but this is really encouraging to see. It sounds like both the Penguins and Schultz want something long term, and I feel like the more term that is offered, the closer he'll fall to $4.5 or $4 million. It sounds like the post gazette is expecting him to fall in the $4 to $5 million range.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I said it before, but timed it poorly for game six of the SCF.

But now that it's official that the Devils didn't qualify Jacob Josefson, I think he'd be absolutely perfect as a cheap 4C replacement of Matt Cullen. He's solid positionally, fast through the neutral zone, and transitions the puck very well. His only knock is that he is just a complete black hole once he gets into the offensive zone, but he's incredible at getting there.

If he can develop some offensive production, he'd be an ideal 3/4C, but his offensive production in the last few years is Rinaldo/Cliche level of horrible.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I think he can play all three forward positions. The Pens have him listed as a C but I'm not sure what position they see his future at.

ETA: The development camp roster has him listed as RW.

People REALLY need to get over what our wingers are "listed as".

One of our wings being "listed" as a center does not make them an NHL center.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Spooner is pretty much all offence, don't think he'd be the guy I wanted.

Yeah, in particular with how Sullivan deploys his 3C and 4C. He uses them in defensive situations and on the PK, so that Sid and Geno aren't overly taxed.

Acquiring Spooner essentially means Crosby will have to PK and will have to take a tonne of defensive zone draws because Spooner is bad defensively.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
The Pens have 19 back to back games on the schedule next season. If Jarry is the back-up, he will see plenty of game pucks. I would go this route first, there should be a number of goalies looking for work well into the season that we could just sign if there is an injury or Jarry falters.

Why wait though? Jarry doesn't have to clear waivers. You can keep him in the minors playing a couple games a week in the AHL, and still call him up and get him 5-10 games next year.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Why wait though? Jarry doesn't have to clear waivers. You can keep him in the minors playing a couple games a week in the AHL, and still call him up and get him 5-10 games next year.
Yup. They said a week or so ago that they think it would be better for his development to get the starts in the AHL but that they haven't decided yet.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
Carter Rowney has more career points in the NHL than Kasperi Kapanen. Seems kinda irrelevant, don't you think?

Yep. But because he scored a winning goal against the Pens in a meaningless regular season game, and looked like an average 4th liner in the playoffs, there are people legitimately mad that he was lost in the Kessel trade :shakehead.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...ing-a-long-term-contract/stories/201706260140

Idk if this was mentioned because I was at work all day today, but this is really encouraging to see. It sounds like both the Penguins and Schultz want something long term, and I feel like the more term that is offered, the closer he'll fall to $4.5 or $4 million. It sounds like the post gazette is expecting him to fall in the $4 to $5 million range.

Every time i plot out next seasons roster, i have him at 4.9 so anything below that is fine with me.

Probably be a 5 or 6 yr deal which takes him to 32-33 years of age.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Yep. But because he scored a winning goal against the Pens in a meaningless regular season game, and looked like an average 4th liner in the playoffs, there are people legitimately mad that he was lost in the Kessel trade :shakehead.

20YO to boot. Dude is done.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
I agree with that- Def is GMJR's LAST CONCERN at the moment.

I think Niemi will be the target (recent buyout). I think it would be a fine idea if Jarry spends another year in WBS.

MM getting injured was a double whammy because it deprived Jarry of some much needed playoff experience down there

Dude. Niemi? Seriously?

No thank you. And I'm not trying to be rude. It's just, I can't even describe how much I don't want to see Niemi signed.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I said it before, but timed it poorly for game six of the SCF.

But now that it's official that the Devils didn't qualify Jacob Josefson, I think he'd be absolutely perfect as a cheap 4C replacement of Matt Cullen. He's solid positionally, fast through the neutral zone, and transitions the puck very well. His only knock is that he is just a complete black hole once he gets into the offensive zone, but he's incredible at getting there.

If he can develop some offensive production, he'd be an ideal 3/4C, but his offensive production in the last few years is Rinaldo/Cliche level of horrible.

Seems like he also can't stay healthy either. 62 games is the most he's played in a RS.
Thats a big worry with Hanzal too. That big body can wear down quick in todays NHL.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If the Penguins want a backup goalie, sign Kinkaid or Zatkoff and just run with Jarry as the starter if Murray gets hurt. Do the same thing the Penguins did in 15-16 with using Fleury and Murray.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Guentzel-Sheary
Hagelin-Kessel
Rust-Hornqvist
Wilson-Reaves
Kuhnhackl-Archibald
Rowney

If the Penguins need something, it's definitely a busted bottom-6 winger that doesn't even have the upside to justify bringing him in.

I like the wing pairs. I do. I do. Depth is a good thing to have. Injuries are guaranteed. That's why Ruh/DP can't be #6/7 but would be great as #7/8 because they will get at least 40 games as a 7/8. :laugh: Depth is key.

We need depth. That's what makes this team click. That's why I'm against moving Hags unless something perfect is out there. And right now - I don't see it. I really like Horny/Rust together. I think they could really click.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

6x4 and I think the Pens do very well there. Would REALLY be happy. May be a huge pipe dream.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I like the wing pairs. I do. I do. Depth is a good thing to have. Injuries are guaranteed. That's why Ruh/DP can't be #6/7 but would be great as #7/8 because they will get at least 40 games as a 7/8. :laugh: Depth is key.

We need depth. That's what makes this team click. That's why I'm against moving Hags unless something perfect is out there. And right now - I don't see it. I really like Horny/Rust together. I think they could really click.

I wasn't really listing the wing pairs, I was just listing the wingers :laugh:

I'm not sold on the Hornqvist-Rust pair, but you know the other pairs work so it would be worth looking into. To be honest, I'm expecting Wilson to be the guy that gets sacrificed in a trade for a 3C. He seems to be the most valuable expendable winger the Penguins have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad