Salary Cap: 2017-18 Roster Building Thread V | Contract/FA charts in Post #1 | CAP SET at $75M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
So $4million is too much to spend on your third line winger but the Pens are going after Duchene at $6 million? Granted Duchene is much better but still....why not trade for Staal?

Giant Yankee Pens

May 17, 2010
JR needs to just stay away pretend to do it and "change his mind" at the last second.

Maatta, Sheary and a 1st is tempting though. Especially if you could get a 3rd coming back? That'd be like a late 2nd. Sakic probably says no though.

Guentzel Crosby Hornqvist
Rust Malkin Spring
Hags Duchene Kessel
Wilson Moore* Reaves
Kuhn

Who can match up with that top 9?

Sign Kulikov and Del Zotto or something to replace Maatta.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Pretty much every major insider has us linked to Duchene since last winter.

I am just agreeing that the notion we SHOULD trade for him, more so the supposed packages to do so, is preposterous.

Btw. is there ANY big name player/rental where we aren't mentioned?

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Maatta, Sheary and a 1st is tempting though. Especially if you could get a 3rd coming back? That'd be like a late 2nd. Sakic probably says no though.

Guentzel Crosby Hornqvist
Rust Malkin Spring
Hags Duchene Kessel
Wilson Moore* Reaves
Kuhn

Who can match up with that top 9?

Sign Kulikov and Del Zotto or something to replace Maatta.

Posts like these are my point about the Maatta hate. No one really has a solid plan of how to replace him, nor do they seem to care that the Penguins have no internal replacement options. They just hate him and want him off the team as quickly as possible, impulse control be damned.

Giant Yankee Pens

May 17, 2010
Kinkaid, Niemi or McElhinney. If we don't have cap space for a quality back-up I'd make room for one.

You think any of those guys could lead us to a cup if Murray goes down?

I just see Jarry as the young guy with more potential to be good (like Murray in '16), than guys who aren't very good right now. I'd have one in the ahl or as a backup, but I wouldn't spend 2M on a guy that still won't be good enough to ride to a cup win. Just my opinion. Plus if you have to make cap space it means sacrificing a guy like Hags.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I am just agreeing that the notion we SHOULD trade for him, more so the supposed packages to do so, is preposterous.

Btw. is there ANY big name player/rental where we aren't mentioned?

JR wants to win again next year. Adding elite talent helps us do that.

I don't want to give up Sprong, but I'm not a big fan of Maatta and supposedly Sakic is holding out for an under 25 D with pro experience and pedigree. Isles never really had a shot. We do.

Maybe a longterm replacement in goal peaks the Avs interest. If it's Maatta and pieces we won't miss during our window, I'm down.

exHornet

May 14, 2014
At the deadline we were in talks with Buffalo. If I were to guess, JR is looking at Kulikov and Franson. I like the idea of Kulikov if his back is healed up. Franson is a bit of a train wreck but so was Schultz and his possession numbers are too good to ignore. Plus he gives us another canon shot from the point.

I don't think we have a traditional top 4. Dumoulin/Letang will play 20-25. And the rest will split what's left.

And when they get hurt, what happens?

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016

I just see Jarry as the young guy with more potential to be good (like Murray in '16), than guys who aren't very good right now. I'd have one in the ahl or as a backup, but I wouldn't spend 2M on a guy that still won't be good enough to ride to a cup win. Just my opinion. Plus if you have to make cap space it means sacrificing a guy like Hags.

Kinkaid and McElhinney are good. Niemi is kinda inconsistent I guess. Maybe a lesser workload would help.

And I've said earlier that I don't mind us making ambitious FA signings, to later trade Hags somewhere to get under the cap again.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
So $4million is too much to spend on your third line winger but the Pens are going after Duchene at $6 million? Granted Duchene is much better but still....why not trade for Staal?

In regards to Bonino it has to deal with the combination of AVV he wants along with the years. If it were 4M per, on a 1-3 year deal I doubt anyone, including myself would balk at it. But he wants that AVV salary/cap hit at 4 years. That's a bit long for a 3C at that hit.

Now if the Pens sign it, so be it, its not a crippling contract, or is it such a term that can be managed if his play falls off. But its the high bar for what the Pens should be giving him in both term and salary.

Id prefer they move on if he is hardline on the 4X4, but if they do sign it I would understand also.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

I wouldn't be at all surprised if we traded for Duchene then went out and got a 3C anyway.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I wouldn't be at all surprised if we traded for Duchene then went out and got a 3C anyway.

I'd sign a center like Boyle who can act as a 3C if/when we move Duchene to wing.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house

No decent backup is going to take a two way contract and let us stash him in Wilkes-Barre while he makes a fraction of what he would make up here. That doesn't really make sense anyways. You want Jarry playing games and continuing to get better, not sitting on the bench watching Murray play. Also, the jury is pretty much completely out on how good Jarry is or would be at this level. I would much rather have a guy like McElhinney who's been around the block than a complete unknown in Jarry if Murray goes down in the playoffs.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Names I would kick the tires on in the goalie free market for backup, that are reasonable approaches, in no particular order...

Johnson
Nilsson
McElhinney
Kinkaid
Kuemper

But echoing what others have said, I wouldn't go over 1M-1.5M for any of the backups on the market. I would give an exception to Johnson, signing him laterally to his previous deal of 1.7M. But that's it. Nothing over the 1.5M mark, and assumedly and ideally less for any of the remaining names.

I'd really like to snag Nilsson. There are enough goalies probably heading to free agency that I think they'll end up with some options.

Giant Yankee Pens

May 17, 2010
Posts like these are my point about the Maatta hate. No one really has a solid plan of how to replace him, nor do they seem to care that the Penguins have no internal replacement options. They just hate him and want him off the team as quickly as possible, impulse control be damned.

I don't hate Maatta. Not in the least actually. I'd just be open to moving him for a talent like Duchene. I don't want to get rid of him, only in the right trade. I only mentioned those guys because they would cost around 3M and you run

Dumo Letang
Cole Schultz
Kulikov/Daley/Del Zorro/Ruh/FA

Point being, I think there are better fill ins for 5/6 D men, than there are for 3C ... Plus, its a hockey trade for a great player, not just trading him because. I like Maatta, I just also like Duchene.

Can you at least agree that a top 9 with Duchene is very tempting to have? That's all I'm saying.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
JR wants to win again next year. Adding elite talent helps us do that.

I don't want to give up Sprong, but I'm not a big fan of Maatta and supposedly Sakic is holding out for an under 25 D with pro experience and pedigree. Isles never really had a shot. We do.

Maybe a longterm replacement in goal peaks the Avs interest. If it's Maatta and pieces we won't miss during our window, I'm down.

So does depth on defense. Again, you're letting Maatta hate cloud your judgement. The Penguins just won back-to-back Cups with him.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
I don't hate Maatta. Not in the least actually. I'd just be open to moving him for a talent like Duchene. I don't want to get rid of him, only in the right trade. I only mentioned those guys because they would cost around 3M and you run

Dumo Letang
Cole Schultz
Kulikov/Daley/Del Zorro/Ruh/FA

Point being, I think there are better fill ins for 5/6 D men, than there are for 3C ... Plus, its a hockey trade for a great player, not just trading him because. I like Maatta, I just also like Duchene.

Can you at least agree that a top 9 with Duchene is very tempting to have? That's all I'm saying.

Okay, so given the Penguins current situation at wing, do they need Duchene or would he be a luxury? As for 3C, do you really want to pay the player at that position $6 million? And if that deal is made, what shape would the defense be in?

penzweiser

Jan 26, 2013
Sign Hanzal and Boyle.

Guentzel-Crosby-Rust
Hagelin-Malkin-Kessel
Wilson-Hanzal-Hornqvist
Sheary-Boyle-Reaves

Dumoulin-Letang
Maata-Schultz
Cole-Ruhwedele

SherogoesHAM

Apr 6, 2012
I would think Maatta is worth more to Avs than Hamonic. 4 years younger and still has five years left on term. Hamonic only has three years. That is big for a team like the Avs if their fans want to admit it or not.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Not ready to give up Guentzel, Sprong or even our 1st next year in a stacked draft

I don't know why some are so obsessed with Duchene, but we really do not need him.

I prefer keeping our assets and adding a player or 2 via UFA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia