Salary Cap: 2017-18 Roster Building Thread V | Contract/FA charts in Post #1 | CAP SET at $75M

Status
Not open for further replies.

GenoMachino71

Jun 8, 2012
Anyone seen this one? Cullen's agent fielding calls for him. Possible interest in Minn again.

http://www.startribune.com/wild-turns-attention-to-free-agency-to-fill-holes/430970523/

1 - he might as well field calls to see who's interested.... otherwise he wouldnt be doing his job....

2 - it also allows him to get offers from teams to set his pricetag to make the Penguins match or come close to if he wanted to return for 1 more year

I'd still imagine it's Pittsburgh or retire..... with retirement the most likely scenario

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Anyone seen this one? Cullen's agent fielding calls for him. Possible interest in Minn again.

http://www.startribune.com/wild-turns-attention-to-free-agency-to-fill-holes/430970523/

The star tribune did the same junk last year, inserting the Wild into a "Pittsburgh or retire" situation for Cullen just to generate clicks. It's the "home town boy wants to return home" clickbait garbage that you always see.

It's Pittsburgh or retire with him, with retirement probably at a 75% chance or higher. His agent is probably just fielding offers to know how much money he could potentially get for next year, signing somewhere for league minimum wouldn't be worth not retiring.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Russo is not clickbait. Dude is as well connected as they come for local hockey reporters. He actually did a audio interview with Cullen last summer and Cully said he was seriously considering playing in Minnesota (at least from my recollection). Maybe that was lip service for his home state, but it wasn't clickbait journalism.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Russo is not clickbait. Dude is as well connected as they come for local hockey reporters. He actually did a audio interview with Cullen last summer and Cully said he was seriously considering playing in Minnesota (at least from my recollection). Maybe that was lip service for his home state, but it wasn't clickbait journalism.

But he's not reporting anything here, he's just speculating that Cullen would likely only consider Minnesota if not Pittsburgh. It just really looks like clickbait to me, it just reeks of "signing the hometown boy" propoganda. I also don't really take Cullen's comment too seriously there, because what would he say on a Minnesota interview?

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
But he's not reporting anything here, he's just speculating that Cullen would likely only consider Minnesota if not Pittsburgh. It just really looks like clickbait to me, it just reeks of "signing the hometown boy" propoganda. I also don't really take Cullen's comment too seriously there, because what would he say on a Minnesota interview?

Isn't it pretty obvious that Minnesota could be a viable option in case Cullen still has too much fun with hockey to quit?
Minnesota is where the family is pretty explicit about moving anyway when his career is over, and they have a good team. Being around family and friends while getting the kids into the right school for the long term etc. I mean - I am Cullen's age and I'd get that.

Given how the last two years have gone, it is likely the third option to retiring or taking another turn on the Pens, but beyond that it looks the obvious and final third option that could be on the table. Not something to kill Russo over, less so as he is legit.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Just bring him back. We ain't getting a better player for what Cullen likely is gonna accept. Focus on 3C in free agency. If Cullen retires, see who's available later in the summer or via trade.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Mikhail Grigorenko not tendered by Colorado...

Seems like a guy someone should still take a chance on. Positional versatility, originally a C, now playing mostly wing, good frame, does some PK, wins draws at a good rate, scoring upside is there and honestly 10 goals, 23 points from the third line on a team scoring a hilariously terrible 165 goals.... that is not too shameful.

He hasn't put things together and has been on some legitimately horrendous teams ever since getting into the league (too early).

Suppose Colorado might try to sign him for less than the QO, but he'd be free to explore. Hard to see it being interesting for the Pens, but one of those guys where a team could get really lucky.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Not that I have inside information, but I do know the coaching staff thinks Cullen had more to do with the Pens success the last couple years than maybe the fans know. I would rather have him back than Bonino. I'd prefer to upgrade the 3C by trade and I think signing Sheary to a bridge deal and then trading him is their best option for the best return with the least loss

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Mikhail Grigorenko not tendered by Colorado...

Seems like a guy someone should still take a chance on. Positional versatility, originally a C, now playing mostly wing, good frame, does some PK, wins draws at a good rate, scoring upside is there and honestly 10 goals, 23 points from the third line on a team scoring a hilariously terrible 165 goals.... that is not too shameful.

He hasn't put things together and has been on some legitimately horrendous teams ever since getting into the league (too early).

Suppose Colorado might try to sign him for less than the QO, but he'd be free to explore. Hard to see it being interesting for the Pens, but one of those guys where a team could get really lucky.

Just looked in on the Colorado forum, they all seem pretty adament it was the right call. Not enough edge, not enough desire. Take a family sized handful of salt with that of course but even, that sort of unianmity is rare.

Quite possible that's just been beaten out of him by the situation though.

Not that I have inside information, but I do know the coaching staff thinks Cullen had more to do with the Pens success the last couple years than maybe the fans know. I would rather have him back than Bonino. I'd prefer to upgrade the 3C by trade and I think signing Sheary to a bridge deal and then trading him is their best option for the best return with the least loss

Given the way you saw him talking to the kids and the clear respect the players hold for him, I'd like to think most fans with their eyes open know at least some of it.

I'd love him back. I'd like Bonino back too though given the current state of the market though.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
I can't imagine Cullen packing up his life here just to move again for a single season. He's either going to get an offer here or retire.

I just hope he retires. It's silly not to after winning back to back cups at 40+.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I can't imagine Cullen packing up his life here just to move again for a single season. He's either going to get an offer here or retire.

I just hope he retires. It's silly not to after winning back to back cups at 40+.

Minnesota is just him going home anyway. Would be a good compromise for him and his family if they really want to go home but he wants to keep playing hockey.

But screw that, stay with us Dad.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Methot would had been an interesting pick-up for the Pens, but maybe would had been hard to fit is cap hit of 4.9M.

I really do not see how we're bringing in another D that makes much of anything with Maatta still on the roster. We managed it last season because Dumoulin and Schultz made peanuts - less than 2.5m combined. Next season I'll be happy if both make less than 9m combined. Which means we really need a value signing (either on D or #3C) if we're looking to bring in a D... otherwise we will need to move out salary somewhere.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
Don't move Maatta. Move Hagelin out and we'll have plenty of room for another D.

But even if we don't, after signing a 3.5 million third center that leaves roughly 3 million to go discount bin diving. More if Schultz signs for 6 years to bring down his average.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I wouldn't move Maatta for cap space, or a winger. But I'd absolutely be on the phones trying to find a trade to get an upgrade over Maatta. Not that he's a horrible player, I just don't think he's a fit and his skating drives me ****ing mental. :laugh:

BUCC4N33R

May 17, 2014
New Zealand
Nail Yakupov option wasn't picked up by the Blues. It could be a low risk high reward move if we pick him up, i'd love too see what Sully could do to this kids game.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Yakupov for free is something I'd be interested it, just because the skill is there and he has two Russian greats here with Gonchar and Geno. He has the tools...there is something prohibiting him from achieving.

SideShowSauce

Dec 17, 2012
Barrie
If we're just spitballing ideas here what does everyone think of bringing in Henrique(NJD) and Demers (FLA) and sending out Maatta and Hornqvist, respectively? It kind of rests on how NHL ready one of ZAR or Sprong are but just floating it out there

BUCC4N33R

May 17, 2014
New Zealand
Henrique, I would bring him in. Nice two way centre and isn't he pretty good at faceoffs. I havent seen him play much. But he looked damn good in that devils cup run a few years back. What's his CAP tho ?

SideShowSauce

Dec 17, 2012
Barrie
Henrique, I would bring him in. Nice two way centre and isn't he pretty good at faceoffs. I havent seen him play much. But he looked damn good in that devils cup run a few years back. What's his CAP tho ?
He's got 2 years left at 4M, he'll be 29 when it's up. He was 50% on face offs last year (Bonino was 48%) think he's got a little more offense in his game than Bones does though and I'm not sure how he is on the PK but I do believe he played it in Jr and WJHC for Canada. But I could be wrong.

EDIT: I misread the faceoff %, they were both 48% last season, my bad.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad