Salary Cap: 2017-18 Roster Building Thread V | Contract/FA charts in Post #1 | CAP SET at $75M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Shero loves Maatta as far as I know. And we have no high center prospect coming. Henrique is signed for what we hope Bonino would take without the term drawback.

Maatta makes more sense for the Devils as a young D locked up longterm who could help replace Larsson. We need a center who can help us win now.

If Bonino moves on, we're gonna have to overpay in free agency or downgrade. If we have to trade for one, I'd like that deal.

If we are going to trade a top-4 D-man, it should be for more upside than Adam Henrique, IMO.

With Nico Hischier now the toast of NJ, and with Pavel Zacha also around, plus several other decent C prospects (some of whom will play wing for them), I would trade Maatta to NJ for McLeod, not Henrique.

Re: Grigorenko, he is not a 3C candidate. He is like Yakupov, a reclamation project. He is a 4C candidate, but there are a lot of better ones out there imo.

I still like Dominic Moore for 4C.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
McLeod doesn't necessarily solve the immediate problem though even if they were to go for that.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
I'm getting around to compiling a list of minor league free agent targets with the day's unqualified players coming in. I know most people don't care much about these signings, with good reason since there are significantly bigger fish to fry, but I do because I'm like that. And I had Chad Ruhwedel on my list last season.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
If we are going to trade a top-4 D-man, it should be for more upside than Adam Henrique, IMO.

With Nico Hischier now the toast of NJ, and with Pavel Zacha also around, plus several other decent C prospects (some of whom will play wing for them), I would trade Maatta to NJ for McLeod, not Henrique.

Re: Grigorenko, he is not a 3C candidate. He is like Yakupov, a reclamation project. He is a 4C candidate, but there are a lot of better ones out there imo.

I still like Dominic Moore for 4C.

More upside? The guy scored 30 goals last year and was one of NJ's best players in their Cup run.

Maatta is fair value. And because NJ has Zacha and Zajac, they might be willing to part with him for a longterm replacement for Larsson and when Andy Green moves on.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
More upside? The guy scored 30 goals last year and was one of NJ's best players in their Cup run.

Maatta is fair value. And because NJ has Zacha and Zajac, they might be willing to part with him for a longterm replacement for Larsson and when Andy Greene moves on.

What can I say, not a big Henrique fan, not for Maatta anyway.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
I'm getting around to compiling a list of minor league free agent targets with the day's unqualified players coming in. I know most people don't care much about these signings, with good reason since there are significantly bigger fish to fry, but I do because I'm like that. And I had Chad Ruhwedel on my list last season.

Would be interested to see the list.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I like it in theory, but it leaves us needing a top 4 left D just as badly as we currently need a 3C. So I guess it depends on the market for each position.

Vegas has more D to spare than quality centers. There's more under the radar/reclamation projects on D in free agency too. Guys like Hanzal and Bonino will get paid like top 6 centers. Boyle will get paid like a 3C. Whereas maybe guys like MDZ, Smith, Kulikov can be had for cheap. Daley might come back as well on a 2 year deal.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Vegas has more D to spare than quality centers. There's more under the radar/reclamation projects on D in free agency too. Guys like Hanzal and Bonino will get paid like top 6 centers. Boyle will get paid like a 3C. Whereas maybe guys like MDZ, Smith, Kulikov can be had for cheap. Daley might come back as well on a 2 year deal.

But which of those are top 4 LD? We already need a guy like one of those for the RD slot even with maatta still here. Does Vegas have another top 4 LD available?

BustaKapanen

May 14, 2011

I'm very interested in these sort of signings as well. Looking forward to seeing your list.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
If we move Maatta, it really should be for a better player now. Trading for a younger player is usually a good thing, but we are in win right now mode.
I assume that JR has by now a good indication of what the market is and who is interested in signing and their price. If we move Maatta or Dumo, we will need to snag a UFA D. There is more demand than supply in the UFA market. Vegas has some extra D, but they will want assets back in return.
The UFA market for C's is the same as D's, more demand than supply and likely higher prices. Lots of other teams, including 3 in the metro are looking for C's.
I don't see any way that JR doesn't either make a trade or end up giving out a not so great contract to a UFA.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Maatta is fair value. And because NJ has Zacha and Zajac, they might be willing to part with him for a longterm replacement for Larsson and when Andy Green moves on.

I'm guessing that Jag is looking for a really long term guy with top 6 centre potential? (sorry if that's wrong)

And, factoring in contract and age... I think you're right wrong about fair value.

He is ready for a 4C role, and by season's end he could be the No. 3.

I want someone who is ready for a 3C role now and will be ready for a 3C role in next year's SCF.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
But which of those are top 4 LD? We already need a guy like one of those for the RD slot even with maatta still here. Does Vegas have another top 4 LD available?

Emelin? I think he's the closest there.

Not sure I'm feeling the ease of Scandella of a 1st either, lovely as it would be.

You know, Bonino coming back solves a lot of problems...

SprootsMasterFlex

Sprootsing 4 Life
Apr 20, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Has anybody heard about how strong or weak the 2018 entry draft is projected to be? I'm just wondering how that would impact the value of picks over the next season. Hopefully, we draft @ 31 using our own pick!

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Has anybody heard about how strong or weak the 2018 entry draft is projected to be? I'm just wondering how that would impact the value of picks over the next season. Hopefully, we draft @ 31 using our own pick!

Stronk. So Stronk. High end prospects galore, big depth.

Hype might not match reality but next two years are meant to be good years to draft.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Doubt it'd happen, but who would move Maatta for Henrique?

I'd do that in a second. I think Henrique's a lot better than people think he is. Not normally the type of guy Shero throws away, though.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Pretty expected here:

Erixon almost went overseas last season. Probably goes this.
Percy turned out pretty meh with no real shot of seeing a call up.

As it stands WB D is currently:

Taylor
Prow
Zink
Bengtsson (out indefinitely due to illness)

RFA's tended QF offers:
Pooh
Corrado

Unsigned UFA's that may re-up:
Gaunce
Warsofsky

F's:

ZAR
Bleugers
DiPauli
Josephs
TK