Prospect Info: 2017-18 Prospects Thread (CHL, NCAA, Junior A, Europe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
It's just tough to say how his game translates to the next level.

On the plus side he just had a great season in the WHL. He out-scored and had similar pts/game as guys like Sam Steel, Brett Howden, Kieffer Bellows who are regarded as a solid prospects for their teams and are all about the same age as Lewis. Lewis has also shown progression every year so far going from a role player and .5 pts/game to star play on the team and 1.4 pts/game. So it's always nice to see advancement in the players game.

On the down side, he is a bit on the smaller side 5'11 188lbs, which is probably generous as they always beef up the numbers a bit. And we already have a plethora of smallish young guys up front like Jost, Kerfoot, and Compher. He is a top-6 or bust type, so if he can't score at the NHL level he is not going to be well suited for bottom line roles. Which might force him to be an AHL level player.

All I know is I'm excited to see him at the AHL level in Loveland next season. See what he can do there, as I assume he'll probably be given the opportunity for top 6 minutes. It's nice that we got a guy who just posted a great season absolutely free, so anything we get from him is gravy.

Yeah I was looking at that stuff, and it is definitely noticeable that hes taken steps every year. Hes not tiny either. Thanks

Shvyry, Lewis & Smirnov should help the Eagles put the puck in the back of the net if joe can get all three there for next season

Wouldn't that be nice.. All we need is one to turn into Panarin/Kucherov lol. I'd take a Tyler Johnson too.

Reactions: Spleenless Wonder21

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I do like that Lewis has such a relentless motor on the ice. He gets a fair amount of points just from fighting tooth and nail to get things done, which will serve him well in the pros, at least at the AHL level. Remains to be seen if he can round out his defensive game enough to stick in the big leagues though.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Brett44

Feb 11, 2017
Somebody know Joel Persson? He is nominate for rookie of the year in SHL with Dahlin and Petterson. 34 points in 51 game. Is he free agent?

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I'd love to see him make it a hard for the coaches to put him in the AHL next season. I think it might be best for him but if he can earn a spot in the top 4 more power to him. I'd just hate to see him make the team and only get 6-10 minutes a game. Would much rather him get 15-20 minutes a night in the AHL if it comes to that.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
He had a really good camp last September as well and has pretty clearly improved his game a metric tonne this season.

I'm not expecting him to make the team out of camp, but I sort of wouldn't be surprised if he did type of deal.

Between him and Makar as well as the guys we already have on the back end(Girard, Zadorov, and Barrie) I dont think I've ever been as excited for the future of our Defense as I am right now.

And before I forget, yes Meloche is also an interesting player for us that could add to that core in the coming years as well :laugh:

Reactions: The Kingslayer

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I'd love to see him make it a hard for the coaches to put him in the AHL next season. I think it might be best for him but if he can earn a spot in the top 4 more power to him. I'd just hate to see him make the team and only get 6-10 minutes a game. Would much rather him get 15-20 minutes a night in the AHL if it comes to that.

I dunno if I'd be setting my expectations at Timmins beating out EJ or tboobs lol. I really like him, but Timmins & Meloche should both start the year with the eagles fighting to be the 1st call-up unless we're crushed by injuries.
And before I forget, yes Meloche is also an interesting player for us that could add to that core in the coming years as well :laugh:

...nice save...

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
As much as I like Timmins, I think AHL time to start is pretty much a certainty. I doubt it will be a full season, but OHL to NHL is a big jump, and I hope he can get his feet wet in an intermediate league to adjust before we give him bottom pair minutes.

Of course, he could surprise me and force himself onto the team, I just don't think it's likely despite how hyped I am for the kid.

Gabe the Babe

Apr 24, 2014
He had a really good camp last September as well and has pretty clearly improved his game a metric tonne this season.

I'm not expecting him to make the team out of camp, but I sort of wouldn't be surprised if he did type of deal.

Between him and Makar as well as the guys we already have on the back end(Girard, Zadorov, and Barrie) I dont think I've ever been as excited for the future of our Defense as I am right now.

Best u22 DCore. At least on paper.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
I just love the idea of:
Zadorov-Makar
Girard-Timmins

Obviously they might not pan out, but that looks like a legitimate top d core that we'll have control of for a decade!

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
What are your thoughts on the team's goal-tending future?
Fairly grim. Werner and Kvaca are shots in the dark, and Martin is a bust. Even if Hepple picks a goalie high this year, they'll be 3-4 years out at best. Only option now is a trade. k

I kind of wonder if Rittich or Gillies is available out of Calgary. It would seem there's not room for both with Smith around, and both of them have gotten their feet wet in the NHL. @Gigantor The Goalie can probably tell me if I'm way off base here.

Reactions: FromChaos22

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Fairly grim. Werner and Kvaca are shots in the dark, and Martin is a bust. Even if Hepple picks a goalie high this year, they'll be 3-4 years out at best. Only option now is a trade. k

I kind of wonder if Rittich or Gillies is available out of Calgary. It would seem there's not room for both with Smith around, and both of them have gotten their feet wet in the NHL. @Gigantor The Goalie can probably tell me if I'm way off base here.

The Flames don't really have to move either one of Gillies or Rittich as Jon Gillies is waiver exempt until 2018/19. So they will most likely run Smith/Rittich in the NHL with Gillies/Parsons in the AHL. I can't see them going with a Parsons/McDonald pairing in the AHL considering both of them have ~10 games of AHL experience combined. They're obviously not untouchables but I don't think Calgary is thinking about moving them so soon when they still have the option to keep both.

If you're looking at goalies who are ready/looking to take the next step in the NHL and might be available for trade here are some names:
Zane McIntyre
Garret Sparks
Alex Lyon/Anthony Stolarz
Jordan Binnington

Now a name that is very interesting is 22yo Kaapo Kakhonen, the Minnesota Wild goalie prospect. He's currently unsigned and can go UFA June 1st. He's had two pretty good years in Liiga and is ready to come over to the AHL. Hopefully he is willing to come to over rather than never wanting to come over.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Had some free time lately and been watching Nick Henry. The more I've watch this player, the more I understand the Avs scouting philosophy the past couple of years and that is high compete. There isn't a lot of talent with him, but what he does well will absolutely fit into Bednar's system. Most notably his play on the forecheck is outstanding, he normally goes to the dirty areas all the time, and that nonstop motor which I mentioned before. He is just a good overall utility player in which he got top PP minutes where he put his ass in the front banging away at rebounds, 2nd unit PK, and 2nd line. He's also an accomplished two-way player displaying a complete defencive game. Still not his biggest fan as he doesn't have any puck skills, but he's looking better as a 4th round pick. Picture a more underdeveloped physically, but a better talented version of Gabriel Bourque. I know this might sound like a strange comparison because he tries to play like Gabriel Bourque, but still needs some offseasons to bulk up his frame.

Reactions: AdrianTheMagician

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Watched the local team play in the 2nd round of the USHL playoffs tonight--Waterloo vs. Lincoln. Some interesting players of note. Waterloo's captain is Jack Drury (Chris's nephew) and each team had a Klee on the roster, who of course were born and raised in Morrison since Ken has called Colorado home since before his short stint with the Avs. And Jaccob Slavin's little bro Josiah is on the Stars roster. I'm honestly a little worried about the Stars. They play in about the most rickety barn you could imagine and attendance for a 2nd-round playoff game was atrocious. They're offering some insane deals on food and parking, which makes me think they're getting desperate to put butts in the seats. The place was jam-packed when I went to a game a few years ago.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
For as dominant of a regular season the Greyhounds had, they're seemingly really struggling in these playoffs against some of the other good teams.

Took them 7 games to get through Owen Sound last round which included a few blowout losses, and now the series is tied 2-2 again here against Kitchener after suffering another blowout style loss last night.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
For as dominant of a regular season the Greyhounds had, they're seemingly really struggling in these playoffs against some of the other good teams.

Took them 7 games to get through Owen Sound last round which included a few blowout losses, and now the series is tied 2-2 again here against Kitchener after suffering another blowout style loss last night.

They're winning at home and losing, often with lots of goals, on the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad