Prospect Info: 2017-18 Prospects Thread (CHL, NCAA, Junior A, Europe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Someone convince me Makar is not Stefan Elliott please. Looking at some old clips of Elliott and damn he could move. Couldnt play a lick of defense but offensively it looked there. What went wrong with that dude.

From what I can tell he just never developed his game. Never learned how to play against bigger, faster, and more physical players in the pros and while that wrister from the point was deceptively good, he really didn't have much else in his arsenal.

FTR he started out promising, I believe his possession stats were actually good. But even the so-called "statwhackers" will tell you possession isn't everything.

As far as comparisons to Makar go, I'll let others handle that.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Elliott was like Bigras. When you are not comfortable with handling a forecheck at the NHL level you won't get to use your skating or passing as you want. These problems won't show at the junior or AHL level, where the players have that little bit of extra time to make plays.

Elliott did have 84 NHL games with 24 points, so he wasn't a complete bust. Had a strong season in the SEL, so when he gets to use his skating and puck skills he can still be a decent player.

Barrie is quick to the puck and quick at moving it. Girard is a slippery little hobbit. They have ways to deal with NHL forecheck. When you don't have that you'll be eating a lot of hits or avoiding them, giving free possession to the opposition.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Someone convince me Makar is not Stefan Elliott please. Looking at some old clips of Elliott and damn he could move. Couldnt play a lick of defense but offensively it looked there. What went wrong with that dude.

Elliott was definitely waaaay softer than Makar. That's the most obvious distinction, and it should hopefully bode well for Makar handling the rigors of the NHL much better.

It's difficult to prove Makar is better defensively because they played in different junior leagues, but I'm willing to bet he'll be much better there as well. He just has better awareness, and is more willing to engage and battle, rather than just shadow his assignment around the ice. I think he'll be much stronger physically too, though it won't be a big part of his game. Elliott was fairly weak physically.

Offensively Makar has a lot more tools at his disposal, and is much smarter at finding ways to break down defenses. We saw with our own eyes that Elliott basically had one way of doing things. He had one offensive tool, and that was his deadly wrist shot that he needed time and space to get off. He had one way of breaking out with the puck, and had one way of getting himself open for that wrister. Once teams saw him have success with that one way of doing things his first few games, they kept close to him to limit his time and space, and shut him down pretty quickly. He was never able to adjust to this.

Makar has a much heavier slap shot, and better vision than Elliott. Not that Elliot had poor vision per se, just that Makar's is really high level. You can see that he’s one or two steps ahead of everyone on the ice when he has the puck, and his reads can match the speed of his feet, which can make for a deadly combination.

They're both great skaters, but Makar's more of a powerful skater than Elliott's graceful style. He's also more athletic and agile. This lets him juke defenders, and make quick speed changes that open up ice for himself the way MacKinnon does. It's very difficult to do this on skates unless you have the kind of agility that Makar and MacKinnon have. This gives him more ways to break down defenses than Elliott, especially in transition.

Elliott was a good stick handler but Makar is on another level to most all defenders. Especially at full speed.

Also mentally Elliott was kind of a gentle soul like Bigras. I think this can hurt some players ability to handle the rigors, and the ups and downs of the NHL. Especially defenseman. Makar is a gamer. He's not afraid to get his nose dirty and battle. He comes up big in big moments, and has that Tyson Jost high character mentality that the Avs love.

The unknown part is if Makar can put all these attributes together at the NHL level, and what level can Makar get his defense to in the NHL, but we should be way more confident of this compared to Elliott. There’s a reason Makar went 4th overall and Elliott went 49th.

Last edited:

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Stef was so pretty to watch in Dub. I've noticed he started being more and more timid after he was sucker punched by Cowen, a useless bum who never did a damn thing.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Stef was so pretty to watch in Dub. I've noticed he started being more and more timid after he was sucker punched by Cowen, a useless bum who never did a damn thing.
That 09 draft doesn't look too great these days. All the more reason to be happy with the Duchene-O'Reilly-Barrie combo.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Four players on the roster now from that draft, 3 prospects and 3 more draft picks. I almost do want to see a Barrie traded just to have that tree grow

Of course if the Avs had just taken Barrie with that 2nd the Lindros tree would still be going.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Four players on the roster now from that draft, 3 prospects and 3 more draft picks. I almost do want to see a Barrie traded just to have that tree grow

Of course if the Avs had just taken Barrie with that 2nd the Lindros tree would still be going.
Just pick Orlov instead of Elliott. :sarcasm:

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Bigras wasn't always so timid, he played pretty well during his first NHL stint but after getting those concussions he became scared of being hit and that ultimately sank his career here.

Reactions: McMetal
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad