Confirmed Signing with Link: 2017-18 Prospect Signings Thread

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
What made the Capitals pick this guy at 46? He literally hasn't put up 10 points in a season at any level of hockey.

He's been playing above his age group for years (even played a few games in the SHL as a 16-year old), and is primarily a defensive defenseman that can skate with size. Also killed it at the combine testing.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Gage.

His dad Ken played for the Calgary Wranglers in juniors.

It's cool that his dad is a Vegas firefighter, but he was also an NHL player for Quebec.
After bouncing between the NHL and AHL, he then went to the IHL where he was a star for the Las Vegas Thunder and had Gage!
And his brother Landon ?

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Weird. I can't remember the last time a player was drafted out of high school and didn't attend college so the team relinquished his rights.

A quick HockeyDB look sees that he only played 18 games this past season. I wonder if it's an injury situation, or maybe just a guy who doesn't want to play hockey anymore. I remember there was an Oiler prospect whom they either drafted or signed who just up and decided the following year that he didn't want to play hockey anymore.
Shades of Robin Sadler...

1975 NHL Amateur Draft -- Robin Sadler

Booba

Jun 20, 2005
The Winnipeg Jets have signed two of their prospects (Jacob Cederholm and Matt Ustaski) to AHL contracts. Link

The Jets still hold Cederholm rights for two more years while Ustaski is set to become a UFA on August 15.

Here is the list of NCAA prospects headed toward free agency.

NCAA prospects (August 15 deadline)
Arizona
Jared Fiegl |F|Cornell|2014|#191

Buffalo
Max Willman |F|Brown|2014|#121
Judd Peterson |F|St. Cloud|2012|#205

Columbus
Tyler Bird |F|Brown|2014|#137

Dallas
Michael Prapavessis |D|RPI|2014|#105

Edmonton
Aidan Muir |F|Western Michigan|2013|#113

Los Angeles
Steven Johnson |D|Univ. of Minnesota|2014|#120

Minnesota
Avery Peterson |F|Minnesota-Duluth|2013|#167

Ottawa
Shane Eiserman |F|New Hampshire|2014|#100
Kelly Summers |D|Clarkson|2014|#189

Philadelphia
Terrance Amorosa |D|Clarkson|2013|#132
David Drake |D|Connecticut|2013|#192 Signed to a AHL contract by Lehigh Valley

St. Louis
Dwyer Tschantz |F|Cornell|2014|#202

Tampa Bay
Jonathan MacLeod |D|Boston Univ.|2014|#57

Winnipeg
Matt Ustaski |F|Wisconsin|2014|#192 Signed to a AHL contract by Manitoba
Jack Glover |D|Minnesota|2014|#69

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
And by the AHL bylaws (which you apparently do not know), he's eligible to play in that league.

The only hiccup would have been if he had been CHL property, but he's not.

nope, that bylaw still applies, apparently you don't know the bylaw

If you both think the other is missing the important By-Law, why not provide said By-Law?

My understanding is that by AHL By-Laws, players must be over the age of 18 to play in the AHL, unless property of a CHL team, then they must be 20.
Again, my understanding is then that there is an exception for European players who are CHL property: if they are drafted in the CHL Import Draft before being drafted in the NHL Draft, then they count as CHL property for the sake of the By-Law and cannot play in the AHL until 20; if they are drafted in the NHL Draft before being selected for the CHL however, the rule does not apply, even if the player ultimately joins the CHL.

Since Zadina was drafted in the 2017 Import Draft but the 2018 NHL Draft, he would fall under the AHL By-Laws wherein he cannot play in the AHL until 20.

Rasmus Sandin is another case of this exact same thing. Import 2017, NHL 2018, yet has been reported multiple times that because he was on loan to the Soo, he is eligible for CHL, AHL, NHL, or SHL next year.

My understanding is that he shouldn't be, nor should Zadina be eligible for AHL play next year.

Never have I previously read anything that loans affect the status and it seems to come down to simply if they were AHL drafted before NHL drafted.
So if either of you could help me out and clear up the By-Laws, I would be grateful.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad