Confirmed Signing with Link: 2017-18 Prospect Signings Thread

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
If you both think the other is missing the important By-Law, why not provide said By-Law?

My understanding is that by AHL By-Laws, players must be over the age of 18 to play in the AHL, unless property of a CHL team, then they must be 20.
Again, my understanding is then that there is an exception for European players who are CHL property: if they are drafted in the CHL Import Draft before being drafted in the NHL Draft, then they count as CHL property for the sake of the By-Law and cannot play in the AHL until 20; if they are drafted in the NHL Draft before being selected for the CHL however, the rule does not apply, even if the player ultimately joins the CHL.

Since Zadina was drafted in the 2017 Import Draft but the 2018 NHL Draft, he would fall under the AHL By-Laws wherein he cannot play in the AHL until 20.

Rasmus Sandin is another case of this exact same thing. Import 2017, NHL 2018, yet has been reported multiple times that because he was on loan to the Soo, he is eligible for CHL, AHL, NHL, or SHL next year.

My understanding is that he shouldn't be, nor should Zadina be eligible for AHL play next year.

Never have I previously read anything that loans affect the status and it seems to come down to simply if they were AHL drafted before NHL drafted.
So if either of you could help me out and clear up the By-Laws, I would be grateful.
To be precise, they have to be 18 or 20, as the case may be, before December 31st.

I understood that Zadina was deemed by the NHL to be on loan to his CHL team, thus not property of the CHL.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
:laugh:

The post you quoted shows that I understand the bylaw.

In your haste to reply, you probably skipped over "The only hiccup would have been if he had been CHL property, but he's not."
I'm not sure how he is not CHL property, tbh.

It sounds like the distinction of "property" is if they had his CHL rights before any NHL team did - and that was the case, so therefore, if the NHL team doesn't want him and they want him to remain in North America, he has to go the CHL

Michel Beauchamp

Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
I'm not sure how he is not CHL property, tbh.

It sounds like the distinction of "property" is if they had his CHL rights before any NHL team did - and that was the case, so therefore, if the NHL team doesn't want him and they want him to remain in North America, he has to go the CHL
So that part of Craig Custance's twitter would be incorrect: "NHL rules that he was on loan to Halifax, so he can play in AHL next season if necessary." ?

From a different source (mlive.com):

"The NHL has ruled that Zadina was on loan to Halifax of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League from his European club, Pardubice HC of the Czech Republic, according to general manager Ken Holland. That makes him eligible to play for the AHL Grand Rapids Griffins in 2018-19 if the Red Wings opt to send him there.

This would enable the Red Wings to recall him freely at any time, and he would be playing against better competition.

But Halifax might dispute that ruling in hopes of getting Zadina back next season, if he doesn't earn a spot with the Red Wings. Halifax claims Zadina is a CHL player. CHL players with junior eligibility must return to their junior clubs if they're not in the NHL."

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
So that part of Craig Custance's twitter would be incorrect: "NHL rules that he was on loan to Halifax, so he can play in AHL next season if necessary." ?

From a different source (mlive.com):

"The NHL has ruled that Zadina was on loan to Halifax of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League from his European club, Pardubice HC of the Czech Republic, according to general manager Ken Holland. That makes him eligible to play for the AHL Grand Rapids Griffins in 2018-19 if the Red Wings opt to send him there.

This would enable the Red Wings to recall him freely at any time, and he would be playing against better competition.

But Halifax might dispute that ruling in hopes of getting Zadina back next season, if he doesn't earn a spot with the Red Wings. Halifax claims Zadina is a CHL player. CHL players with junior eligibility must return to their junior clubs if they're not in the NHL."
Idk. Multiple sources sound like they think he's fine for the AHL, same with Sandin, but that was not my undestanding, which is why I was hoping for a clarification.

I cannot certainly say I know more than Custance, let alone Detroit or the NHL, if they have so ruled so, but their ruling, if this is the case, goes against my previous understanding

Michel Beauchamp

Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Idk. Multiple sources sound like they think he's fine for the AHL, same with Sandin, but that was not my undestanding, which is why I was hoping for a clarification.

I cannot certainly say I know more than Custance, let alone Detroit or the NHL, if they have so ruled so, but their ruling, if this is the case, goes against my previous understanding
Do junior age players sign contracts ?

If so, was he under contact with Pardubice last season and loaned to Halifax.

From Pardubice web site (using Google translate):

"The Dynamo Pardubice ice hockey club met the request to its striker Filip Zadin and confirmed his international card transfer to Canada."

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Do junior age players sign contracts ?

If so, was he under contact with Pardubice last season and loaned to Halifax.

From Pardubice web site (using Google translate):

"The Dynamo Pardubice ice hockey club met the request to its striker Filip Zadin and confirmed his international card transfer to Canada."
I get that Pardubice loaned him to Halifax, but the reason they loaned him to Halifax and not any other CHL team was because, with respect to North American jurisdictions, he was Halifax property (due to the 2017 Import Draft).

The AHL follows those same jurisdictional rulings in their By-Laws

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Re: Zadina, there HAS to be an easier way to rule on matters such as these.

My god, hockey likes to complicate things.
There's obviously something missing :laugh:

Like if the NHL says its okay, it must be okay, or the CHL would file a massive grievance

But the reason it is okay can't simply be because they were on loan and therefore not CHL property, because that is not in accordance with the current By-Laws

We're missing some crucial piece of information :help: :laugh:

RipCityPuckers

Jun 16, 2007
Toronto
Which undrafted players that were signed last season do you see having the biggest impact in the NHL in the future?

Obviously Brickley is an easy answer but beyond him what about some of these guys:

Zach Whitecloud
Alex Barre-Boulet
Michael Lindqvist
Ville Meskanen
Patrick Bajkov
Dominik Kahun
Lawrence Pilut

Those seemed like some of the bigger names but I'm all ears if you have any others

Not expecting many (if any) of them to make an impact in the NHL in their first NA pro season but in the future are there any undrafted players who were signed last year that you see having more potential than others

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I get that Pardubice loaned him to Halifax, but the reason they loaned him to Halifax and not any other CHL team was because, with respect to North American jurisdictions, he was Halifax property (due to the 2017 Import Draft).

The AHL follows those same jurisdictional rulings in their By-Laws

How did Alex Nylander go from Mississauga to the AHL? IIRC he was under contract to his Swedish team playing n the CHL on loan so Buffalo could opt to send him to the AHL instead. The precedent is there for anyone under European contract on loan to the CHL. It comes down to the actual circumstances of each player then.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
How did Alex Nylander go from Mississauga to the AHL? IIRC he was under contract to his Swedish team playing n the CHL on loan so Buffalo could opt to send him to the AHL instead. The precedent is there for anyone under European contract on loan to the CHL. It comes down to the actual circumstances of each player then.

I really dislike that it creates a double standard for Europeans.

In William Nylander's case, he played 4 years under the Leafs control on the same 3 year ELC. Obviously he was willing to oblige and valued playing in the AHL instead of the SHL for the complete 2014-15 season. However, it did cost him a lot of money last year. He would have been coming off a 61pt rookie season at the end of his 3 YR ELC.

Instead now he is coming off back to back! 61pt seasons 4 years after he signed his ELC. Let's hope he makes that money back now.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015

In William Nylander's case, he played 4 years under the Leafs control on the same 3 year ELC. Obviously he was willing to oblige and valued playing in the AHL instead of the SHL for the complete 2014-15 season. However, it did cost him a lot of money last year. He would have been coming off a 61pt rookie season at the end of his 3 YR ELC.

Instead now he is coming off back to back! 61pt seasons 4 years after he signed his ELC. Let's hope he makes that money back now.

His contract would have slid anyway, regardless of whether he played in the SHL, AHL or CHL. He only could have been a RFA last year if he had played 10 NHL games in his 18yo 2014-15 season. The same slide rules apply for Europeans and North Americans.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

I don't understand what that has to do with my post. I mentioned Alex Nylander as precedent for a CHL player on loan from Europe being able to go to the AHL.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
His contract would have slid anyway, regardless of whether he played in the SHL, AHL or CHL. He only could have been a RFA last year if he had played 10 NHL games in his 18yo 2014-15 season. The same slide rules apply for Europeans and North Americans.

@Canada4Gold and @mcpw I am indeed confusing my Nylanders. I thought Willy played in the CHL as well and was the one who set the precedent.

I will edit my thought to say, I dislike that North American CHLers cannot play in the AHL at 18/19. But Europeans can under the mentioned loophole. Even worse in Alex's circumstasnce that he played in the CHL first. So despite the fact Alex Nylander opted to develop in the CHL, he was able to play in the AHL earlier than their North American CHL colleagues.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Which undrafted players that were signed last season do you see having the biggest impact in the NHL in the future?

Obviously Brickley is an easy answer but beyond him what about some of these guys:

Zach Whitecloud
Alex Barre-Boulet
Michael Lindqvist
Ville Meskanen
Patrick Bajkov
Dominik Kahun
Lawrence Pilut

Those seemed like some of the bigger names but I'm all ears if you have any others

Not expecting many (if any) of them to make an impact in the NHL in their first NA pro season but in the future are there any undrafted players who were signed last year that you see having more potential than others

Meskanen

Reactions: cwede and Sticktape

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->