NCAA: 2017-18 Playoff/New Years Six Watch

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
If Clemson wins I'd like to see them vs Georgia in the semifinal. Both schools are only separated by 90 miles yet don't play that often. Would be a logical matchup rather than Oklahoma vs Georgia.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
If Clemson and Ohio State hold on...

1. Clemson
2. Oklahoma
3. Georgia
4. Ohio State/Alabama

If Clemson holds on and Wisconsin comes back...

1. Clemson
2. Oklahoma
3. Wisconsin
4. Georgia

If Miami comes back and Ohio State holds on...

1. Oklahoma
2. Georgia
3. Miami
4. Ohio State/Alabama/Clemson

If Miami comes back and Wisconsin comes back...

1. Oklahoma
2. Wisconsin
3. Georgia
4. Miami

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Does TCU getting blown out in the CCG cost them a NY6 Bowl game? Either them or Oklahoma State should be getting the second Big 12 spot. I've never been a fan of punishing teams for losing the CCG in favour of teams who didn't make it that far in the first place. But as a Cowboys fans, I can't say I'd complain haha!

If Clemson and Ohio State hold on like I think they will...

(This is what I think will happen, not what I think should happen.)

Sugar: #1 Clemson vs. #4 Ohio State
Rose: #2 Oklahoma vs. #3 Georgia
Peach: UCF vs. ?
Orange: Miami vs. ?
Fiesta: ? vs. ?
Cotton: ? vs. ?

That leaves six spots. I think they'll go to Alabama, Auburn, Southern Cal, Penn State, Wisconsin and Washington.

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
#1 Clemson v #4 Alabama
#2 Oklahoma v #3 Georgia

After what happened last year and how Ohio State has been this year (not that they have been bad, but we're talking about competing for the National Championship here), the committee would be foolish to give them a spot. Conference Championships be damned.

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
I will find it funny if Ohio State gets in this year given that they got in last year for the same reasons Alabama should get in this year.

Last edited:

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
What's the case for Bama? One less loss?

They don't have a great resume.

If Bama gets in, the committee is basically saying divisions and conference championships don't matter.

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
If Bama gets in, the committee is basically saying divisions and conference championships don't matter.
.....they already said that last year.

Bama doesn't have a Conference title, but they also don't have an L to a 5-loss team (who put up 55 points) on their resume, either.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
.....they already said that last year.

At least Ohio State last year had a high end resume.

Bama does not.

They have ZERO top 15 wins. When your best wins are LSU/Mississippi State, you can't convince me they're one of the 4 best teams.

Otherwise, you're basically saying Bama should get in by default every year unless they lose twice

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
At least Ohio State last year had a high end resume.

Bama does not.

They have ZERO top 15 wins. When your best wins are LSU/Mississippi State, you can't convince me they're one of the 4 best teams.

Otherwise, you're basically saying Bama should get in by default every year unless they lose twice

likewise, you're not gonna convince me that a team that got BTFO by a 5-Loss team and allowed 55 points is one of the 4 best teams.

I'm just holding the committee to the standard they've already set

I'm getting comfortbale with the fact that OSU is gonna get in and I do now expect it to play out like this:

>2014
"Being the conference champion is the most important factor, thus Ohio State is jumping TCU despite always being behind them in rankings until now"

>2016
"u-uh we changed our mind, conference championships are utterly meaningless, so we're putting Ohio State in over Penn State"

>2017
"You're not gonna believe this guys, but it turns out we had it right the first time. Conference championships are the most important. Ohio State gets in as the 4 seed."

Last edited:

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
If Clemson and Ohio State hold on like I think they will...

(This is what I think will happen, not what I think should happen.)

Sugar: #1 Clemson vs. #4 Ohio State
Rose: #2 Oklahoma vs. #3 Georgia
Peach: UCF vs. ?
Orange: Miami vs. ?
Fiesta: ? vs. ?
Cotton: ? vs. ?

That leaves six spots. I think they'll go to Alabama, Auburn, Southern Cal, Penn State, Wisconsin and Washington.

Seems weak to only give the Big 12 one spot while giving the Big Ten three of them and the PAC 12 two. But it wouldn't surprise me either.

With regards to the playoff, I'll say this. If there was ever an opportunity to give an unbeaten champion in a Group of 5 conference a playoff spot, this is it. Neither OSU nor Alabama are particularly deserving of a playoff spot. Would UCF get smoked by Clemson? Most likely, but I really don't think OSU or particularly Alabama stand much of a chance either.

But in reality, this is between OSU and Alabama. I'd vote for OSU. Conference champion, two wins much better than any of Alabama's, and beat #4 to close the season. Alabama played one game all year against a legitimate playoff threat and lost it convincingly. Gonna be interesting. Sucks that Wisconsin blew it and let one of these two into the playoffs, but at least one of them is going to get kicked in the nuts tomorrow morning and we can all laugh at whichever fanbase is losing their minds.

Sep 19, 2008
My final four

Clemson
Oklahoma
Georgia
Ohio state

Alabama couldn't even beat auburn, who lost to Georgia. Ohio state as much as I don't wanna say it deserves it.

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
I will find it funny if Ohio State gets in this year given that they got in last year for the same reasons Alabama should get in this year.

Ohio State's resume last year:
Road wins against #5 Oklahoma and #9 Wisconsin, home win against #3 Michigan

Alabama:
-Wins against #19 LSU and #24 Miss St

Edit: Do have to admit that it's pretty enjoyable listening to Bama fans freak out along with the likes of Finebaum.

Edit #2:
Easiest solution to this issue would be:

1. Clemson vs. 4. UCF
2. Oklahoma vs 3. Georgia

Ohio State/Alabama in the Orange bowl

Last edited:
Reactions: G F O P

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
i say put Ohio state against Clemson again and let them get embarrassed 2 years in a row. Alabama is the better team but lack the resume. bama would get the orange bowl against Miami and should have a pretty easy win compared to a likely defeat against Clemson.

Sep 19, 2008

Ohio State would get clobbered by Clemson. But it would still be the most deserving team going up against Clemson.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
i just cant see ohio state competing against any of those teams that can match them on the oline. osu has no downfield passing attack.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad