Prospect Info: 2017-18 Flyers Prospects - Top 30 SKATERS, #5

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
Morin gets massively underestimated on here. It was known from the beginning that it would take some time. We are far from the final product yet.

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
Voting Morin is absurd to me.

Because of organizational depth? I mean, he's a former first round pick with top-four potential, and he's probably closer to realizing an NHL role than anyone else left on the list (possible exception of Hagg).

I'm not sure he'll have a better NHL career than a few of tr other guys, but I'm much more confident about him actually playing in the league than some of the guys they just drafted.

(Rubtsov' a different story. You could easily sell me on the combination of his upside and accomplishments. To me, they're a tier above the restof the guys left on the list, who are all further away with bigger question marks).

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
I'm far away from voting for Morin still. He fits a organizational need, but I don't think his ceiling next year is very high at this point.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I voted Morin because he's made steady progress to realizing his upside, which is a dominating defensive defenseman - now that's not as sexy as beautiful offensive plays, but more valuable if you want a Cup, because Morin can be a key piece allowing the 4 other players to be more aggressive and make those beautiful plays.

Now if Rubtsov plays a full season, he may well jump ahead of Sam, same with Frost, but right now they're more potential than performance.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I was very torn as Morin is my favorite D prospect.....but I went Rubstov.

Looking how the votes have split, Morin is very likely to go next.

kelmitchell

Jun 11, 2013
Newark Delaware
Morin gets massively underestimated on here. It was known from the beginning that it would take some time. We are far from the final product yet.

This poll has nothing to do with morin being underestimated, this is showing our elite prospect pool, and for morin to be this low on the list is a great thing, however i think morin will go next at #6

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I was very torn as Morin is my favorite D prospect.....but I went Rubstov.

Looking how the votes have split, Morin is very likely to go next.

I ended up going with Rube too. Those gifs reminded me why I liked him so much. I said earlier that I was leaning toward a kind of "sympathy vote" (using the term very loosely) for Morin because he is underestimated a bit, but I had to go teach and didn't get to put the rest of my thought, which is that Rube might be getting a little forgotten also - because of his injuries and because of the lottery luck that landed us Patrick, and in the process lessened the desperation we were previously feeling about Rube making it big and making it as our future 2C (at least).

The thing I think would be interesting moving forward in the polls is seeing what criteria people are using for their votes. Are they going for just the best prospect, the guy who they think will ultimately be the best Flyer? Are they ranking them according to where they are right now, where they rank right now relative to each other? I'm probably leaning toward the former, trying to project who I think will ultimately be the best pro.

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
It was not easy choice for me but I am going with Rubtsov here, I loved the pick immediately since it happened last year.
Rubtsov has potential to be such a valuable player for the team. He's so skilled and he looks so smooth on the ice like there is nothing what can surprise him, there is so much upside in him. Don't get me wrong, I definitely could say almost the same about Morin (in terms of his defense, skating and size), but my preference at this point is on Rubtsov. It's really close voting for me.

I am voting for Morin right after Rubtsov.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
In the end, I opted for Rubstov over Morin, but it was not an easy decision!

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The thing I think would be interesting moving forward in the polls is seeing what criteria people are using for their votes. Are they going for just the best prospect, the guy who they think will ultimately be the best Flyer? Are they ranking them according to where they are right now, where they rank right now relative to each other? I'm probably leaning toward the former, trying to project who I think will ultimately be the best pro.

I use a combination of upside and probability of reaching that upside, that is, not just expected value, because an outlier to high upside has more value than a player with a high probability of being average.

Rubtsov has a higher upside than Morin, but not that much higher, and Morin as a player who has made steady progress in two AHL seasons has a higher probability of reaching that upside. Now if Rubtsov has a full junior/AHL season under his belt by April and plays well enough to increase the probability of reaching his upside, my ranking of the two might flip flop.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
Morin is a personal favorite of mine. A kid I am rooting for big time.

But Rubstov to me is slam dunk two way NHL player that can score and be a possession beast. Pretty much the perfect player for what this team is trying to be.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
This poll has nothing to do with morin being underestimated, this is showing our elite prospect pool, and for morin to be this low on the list is a great thing, however i think morin will go next at #6

yeah, I have voted Morin the last 2 spots and it has nothing to to with disrespect or underestimation. The Flyers have a deep pool. I am going with what I know and my gut on Morin. thats it.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
I went with Rubtsov over Morin. Think the ceiling is higher.

Let me preface this by saying, I did vote for Rubstov. I think he is going to be a great player but, I disagree with your assessment of Rubstov having the higher ceiling. I think Morin's ceiling is extremely high. Arguably the highest among our prospects. But, the chance he reaches that ceiling is much smaller than Rubstov reaching his realistic ceiling, which I believe is a high-end 2nd line center.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad