David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
23213614.png

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
My ignorant guess is that Friedman is top 5 after next season, if he's not contributing on a NHL team already

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Friedman and Laberge are the last names in the 2nd hat.
Maybe AK, where Laberge had his lost season, AK has his back of the roster year in the AHL after scoring in junior, both have a lot to prove this season

After that we're moving into the "dregs," guys like:

Bernhardt, David ~ LHD
Bunnaman, Connor ~ C/LW
Cates, Noah ~ LW
Hogberg, Linus ~ LHD
Kase, David ~ W/C
Leier, Taylor ~ LW
Marody, Cooper ~ C
Strome, Matthew ~ LW
Vecchione, Mike ~ C

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
Went Friedman, then I think Laberge, Aube-Kubel and Bunnaman.

I know there have been many similar comments in these threads, but it's pretty crazy that two recent second round picks are potentially ranked as our 14th and 15th best prospects. It's a real testament to some of the work that is being done by our scouts in the later rounds (and not a condemnation of Laberge and NAK, even if they did have down/injured years).

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Friedman and Laberge are the last names in the 2nd hat.

I agree.

I'm not sure where I'll go at 15. Maybe one of the Swedish defensemen. I also feel like Marody is capable of having a big season that puts him on the map if he hasn't gotten himself too far behind the eight ball at Michigan.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
After Laberge and maybe NAK, I might go for Vecchione and then Leier. Then if one of them does a Weal at least I can say I had them in the top 20.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
So for the sake of discussion, what's the difference between NAK this year and Hagg last year? He seems like he's being punished much more harshly for a year of "learning to be a pro" when NAK might not make the top 15.

I voted Friedman for the 3rd time. The question just hit me when looking at how few votes NAK was getting.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
If Friedman wins this one, I'd probably go

Bunny
Laberge
Hogberg
NAK
Cates

... and every time I do one of these mini lists, I think "How can I keep pushing (so and so) down the list?" If you have similar issues with lists, I'd recommend reading "High Fidelity" by Nick Hornby. In fact, if you are a breathing human being, I'd recommend it. Smashing good book.

Flyerfan13

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2016
So for the sake of discussion, what's the difference between NAK this year and Hagg last year? He seems like he's being punished much more harshly for a year of "learning to be a pro" when NAK might not make the top 15.

I voted Friedman for the 3rd time. The question just hit me when looking at how few votes NAK was getting.

I voted Friedman I think he can be a #4 rd in the NHL. I think hagg could be a #5-6 dman but yeah hopefully nak gets a bigger role on the phantoms this season he had 87 pts in his last year in Jr I would thrilled if laberge put up that many points this year.

Flyerfan13

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2016
Looking at that top 12 and trying to figure out where the goalies are going to fit in is a whole other discussion. The depth and quality of prospects we have in our system is beyond what I could have ever imagined 3 years ago.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think the problem with NAK is he just hasn't shown enough flashes of offensive skill, yes, he was in a defensive role, but so was Laughton, and he put up a lot more points.

Leier - 1st AHL season 73g 14-18 31 (4 PP goals)
AK - 1st AHL season 71g 9-9 18
Laughton 60g 19-20 39 (4 PP assists)

Now AK did about as much as Leier in the same first year role, but I'd expect more from him offensively, and Laughton showed you can score in a defensive role at LHV.

It's not that AK is no longer a prospect, rather, he didn't step up and make things happen. He needs to take a big step up this season.

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace
I think the problem with NAK is he just hasn't shown enough flashes of offensive skill, yes, he was in a defensive role, but so was Laughton, and he put up a lot more points.

Leier - 1st AHL season 73g 14-18 31 (4 PP goals)
AK - 1st AHL season 71g 9-9 18
Laughton 60g 19-20 39 (4 PP assists)

Now AK did about as much as Leier in the same first year role, but I'd expect more from him offensively, and Laughton showed you can score in a defensive role at LHV.

It's not that AK is no longer a prospect, rather, he didn't step up and make things happen. He needs to take a big step up this season.

Didn't Laughton center the first line for the Phantoms most of last season?

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
If Friedman wins this one, I'd probably go

Bunny
Laberge
Hogberg
NAK
Cates

... and every time I do one of these mini lists, I think "How can I keep pushing (so and so) down the list?" If you have similar issues with lists, I'd recommend reading "High Fidelity" by Nick Hornby. In fact, if you are a breathing human being, I'd recommend it. Smashing good book.

But a whiney ***** of a movie. As any John Cusack rom-com is.

Agree with the ranking, although I have Hog over Debarge.

Last edited:

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Didn't Laughton center the first line for the Phantoms most of last season?

Yeh, at EV Laughton was basically the 1C. He just did not get PP time.

NAK looked good in terms of eye test - but Gordon had him and Fazleev as his fall guys in the forward group this year. Benched for periods for no reason, relegated down line-up after playing well etc. And both are already very good defensively for their age as well.

Hopefully NAK gets PP usage this year and a ~2nd line wing spot. If he does I can see 40-50 pts from him. He is a good player with a very well rounded skill-set and a lot of drive.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
*snip*

So the difference between NAK and Hagg is Taylor Leier and Scott Laughton?

Both mid second rounders who were considered good picks, both players with a two way rep, neither with high-end upside. Hagg's rep carried over much more strongly over 2 poor seasons than NAK's did one.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Friedman is still a mystery, but I'll easily gamble on a RHD with his stats and skating at this point.

My next group in some order is Laberge, Bunnaman and two guys who others haven't mentioned much... Hogberg and Kase.

I see all kinds of NAK support for being next. What makes him a better prospect than Kase?

Also, it's nice to see our favorite troll Devils fan creeping over to put in a vote for Goulbourne.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
NAK is just hard to place, he had two solid post-draft seasons in juniors, and progressed defensively, but didn't put up numbers that said "wow." If he was a 4th rd pick, you'd think he was a fine choice with a good chance at being a bottom six winger, but as a 2nd rd pick you want him to show he's a middle 6 guy at least.

He didn't get a lot of chances last year with only 73 shots, double that and he's got a shot at being a 20 goal scorer even without PP duty. He's got a stout little body, 5'11 187 at 18 and I'll bet quite a bit stronger at 21, with speed, so he should be a good forechecker in the NHL.

As far as usage, this quote by Gordon (in reference to Laughton) is revealing:

"One of the things we've talked to Scott about is being more of a shutdown guy, working on his defensive part of the game, killing penalties, and being the guy who takes the big faceoffs," Gordon said. "Just giving him a role that, ultimately, if things work out, he has that responsibility when he goes back to the NHL." "In talking to Ron," Gordon added, referring to Ron Hextall, the Flyers' general manager, "that's the role he wanted him slotted into and he's done well. He's strong and he can play that role."

So it seems that some of the AHL PT and role decisions are on orders from Hextall, especially the younger guys. That's pretty explicit about hands on instructions.

So if AK started in a checking, defensive role, that's probably Hextall's call, and suggests they see his development as a 2-3 year process, similar to Hagg and Morin. Given the players on the roster and who they've drafted (Frost, Rubtsov, Patrick, Lindblom), AK's future is a bottom six winger and he's being groomed for that role. Which is more a reflection of organization depth than any shortcomings on his part.

Metzler's take:
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill...im-Marsh-Expansion-Draft-Anniversary/45/85643

As for the first pro season experienced by 2014 second-rounder Nicolas Aube-Kubel, I would liken it to Nick Cousins' roller coaster 2013-14 rookie year with the Phantoms except that the current Phantoms have more depth. Aube-Kubel got an education about the expectations of two-way play and pacing in the pro game. Year two will need accelerated improvement. In Cousins' case, he took his year one experiences, learned from them and then started to emerge into an eventual NHL player.

Last edited:

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Friedman is still a mystery, but I'll easily gamble on a RHD with his stats and skating at this point.

My next group in some order is Laberge, Bunnaman and two guys who others haven't mentioned much... Hogberg and Kase.

I see all kinds of NAK support for being next. What makes him a better prospect than Kase?

NAK has at least as much skill, and a better size & skating combo than guys like Fazleev and Kase. He was listed as 5'11", 204 pounds on the 2016 training camp roster.

https://cdn1.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/7107491/2016_Flyers_Training_Camp_Roster.0.pdf

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
I think Kase has the most pure skill of the three and is maybe even more tenacious and as agile as NAK.

But he is not as fast and does not have as good a shot.

For me, Kase is much more skilled, smart, versatile and competitive than NAK.

NAK disappears too often for my liking, even in the Q. He is a better skater than Kase. I also thought he showed a physical side in the AHL. NAK is about maxed out as far as weight is concerned.

I don't know what Kase is weighing currently, but he definitely looked bigger than the weights you see listed on hockeydb, etc and certainly still has room to fill out more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad