2017-18 Around the League | Congratulations Washington Capitals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Everythings comin up devante
Replacement mentioned him as well, and really he's a player who deserves a lot more praise for the way he played. Not many guys equal their season goal total in the playoffs.

Unfortunately DSP will be somewhat lost in the story lines, (worst ever expansion team finally wins, Ovechkin finally wins, Trotz finally wins, Holtby's mom) but I think the Caps don't win without him. Not only did he score big goals but he was a handful on every shift, playing some crazed hockey, but doing so very intelligently. That goal he scored last night was a beautiful example of hustle, smarts and determination. Really impressive. I think I'm most happy for him and Trotz.

Reactions: BoldNewLettuce

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Only thing I wish was better was the SC winning goal albeit years later they don't ask you how.

But Eller putting in that puck that was just laying there behind Fleury was the easiest goal its possible to score in the NHL. Given Fleury playoffs its sad for him to go out that way.

The goals by OV, forget the other guys name with the breakaway snipe, and Devante goals were all much better. Indeed the tying goal was actually the game breaker. That goal, to me, got the Caps the cup last night. The tying goal was a spectacular individual show of skill. What a bang bang play kicking it so deftly from skate to stick and perfectly and quickly finishing. It seems to win a cup deciding game you need some big plays like that.

How did Jersey give up on that guy. So talented.

That third goal also came complete with full on trip by Vegas that DSP survived to make the play ala Bobby Orr (just less theatrical).

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Replacement mentioned him as well, and really he's a player who deserves a lot more praise for the way he played. Not many guys equal their season goal total in the playoffs.

Unfortunately DSP will be somewhat lost in the story lines, (worst ever expansion team finally wins, Ovechkin finally wins, Trotz finally wins, Holtby's mom) but I think the Caps don't win without him. Not only did he score big goals but he was a handful on every shift, playing some crazed hockey, but doing so very intelligently. That goal he scored last night was a beautiful example of hustle, smarts and determination. Really impressive. I think I'm most happy for him and Trotz.
I don't know. DSP has been getting a lot of praise these playoffs. Like Reaves, Orpik and Eller as well.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Talent alone doesn’t make a team. This year they had a team, they had belief and they had will. Nice to see Ovi’s raw emotion.
Orpik talked about it last night. Years past they were so good that they didn't appreciate what it took to win. Then with the added pressure in the playoffs they just buckled.

This year some said they weren't a playoff team and the team had to work to win games.

Reactions: Night Witch

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Any old HFers remember if Tim Barnes aka Vic Ferrari ever posted here? I seem to recall he did (along with Dellow). He's the Caps's analytics guy.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Talent alone doesn't make a team but you can't make a team without it.

No question. Talent is the foundation but it’s not the only one.

Winning teams need intangibles as well (character, heart, discipline, coaching, etc) and the talent and intangibles have to mix with a small infusion of luck (no key injuries, injuries to other players, goofy bounces, bad calls, etc) to form the perfect storm.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
No question. Talent is the foundation but it’s not the only one.

Winning teams need intangibles as well (character, heart, discipline, coaching, etc) and the talent and intangibles have to mix with a small infusion of luck (no key injuries, injuries to other players, goofy bounces, bad calls, etc) to form the perfect storm.

To be honest I think playoff success is by and large a crap shoot that comes down to good luck and good goaltending (which also comes down to good luck).

But to have a team as consistently good as the Caps have been for the last four years? You gotta have that talent. The rest is a lot easier to come by.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Good for him. IIRC he used to have an avatar of MLK.

One difficulty I had with him was that he later admitted to posting simultaneously as 3 different posters here as a lark. So that by doing so he would present the illusion of support here for his ideas and pov in discussions. To me its pretty sad that he opted to be different accounts here simultaneously. I was surprised though when he admitted to doing it or even stooping to that. That to me removes credibility of much of what he discussed here.

In search of Vic Ferrari | Hockey | CBC Sports

Obviously he's very bright. He could be convincing without resorting to multiple simultaneous account posting as illusory backing. It would be like me posting as Drive, Rep, and Nutbar all at the sametime and bantering back and forth...;)

ps there is no nutbar, I made that up..;)

I'm expecting some comments on this post, haha

Last edited:

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
One difficulty I had with him was that he later admitted to posting simultaneously as 3 different posters here as a lark. So that by doing so he would present the illusion of support here for his ideas and pov in discussions. To me its pretty sad that he opted to be different accounts here simultaneously. I was surprised though when he admitted to doing it or even stooping to that. That to me removes credibility of much of what he discussed here.

In search of Vic Ferrari | Hockey | CBC Sports

Obviously he's very bright. He could be convincing without resorting to multiple simultaneous account posting as illusory backing. It would be like me posting as Drive, Rep, and Nutbar all at the sametime and bantering back and forth...;)

ps there is no nutbar, I made that up..;)

I'm expecting some comments on this post, haha
I think you've acquired a new nickname.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I'm just worried that the cup is pregnant by now and who knows what the spawn will look like..

Gotta love OV's enthusiasm. He's been dry humping the Cup for days now. The ConnSmythe is sitting in a corner frowning and jealous and not getting the love.

OK now, aside from jk whats with this dying need to take selfies. The young guy there has the cup and OV right next to him close enough to touch or kiss the cup and will likely never be that close to either again as long as he lives. But its important to look away and snap a selfie instead of just having an experience. I dunno...He's the only one not looking.

Reactions: oobga

Skar

Jul 2, 2016
I'm just worried that the cup is pregnant by now and who knows what the spawn will look like..

Gotta love OV's enthusiasm. He's been dry humping the Cup for days now. The ConnSmythe is sitting in a corner frowning and jealous and not getting the love.

OK now, aside from jk whats with this dying need to take selfies. The young guy there has the cup and OV right next to him close enough to touch or kiss the cup and will likely never be that close to either again as long as he lives. But its important to look away and snap a selfie instead of just having an experience. I dunno...He's the only one not looking.
Probably took a quick 2 second selfie so he can show his friends and save the memory to even show his grandkids one day! :naughty:
I'm sure he had plenty of time to take in the experience after.

TB12

Apr 5, 2015

Gotta love OV's enthusiasm. He's been dry humping the Cup for days now. The ConnSmythe is sitting in a corner frowning and jealous aGottand not getting the love.

Gotta snap a pic for the 'gram, nutbar ;)

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Gotta snap a pic for the 'gram, nutbar ;)

heh, I don't have Instagram, don't take selfies, and I'm about 2-3 decades past where I would want pictures of me taken...Such is life and aging.

When I did look like Brad Pitt, haha, taking pictures cost a lot of money (cost of development would be around 25bucks for a 24 roll and also there was the initial cost of the film and any flashbulbs used.) So that the average picture would cost about $1.50 when people were making minimum wage of 5bucks/hr. In short taking pictures was an expensive hobby and you took few accordingly.

But I'll be honest with this. In my era if a guy started taking any pictures of himself every buddy he had would be laughing at him for the next 25yrs. If girls did it they would be considered conceited pariahs to avoid at all costs. Time changes, I get that, but its still a bit hard to get ones head around how much has changed since social media, tritter, Instagram and facebook where a cult of self worship exists.

Sorry if too much detail, haha, I have to go now and kick some pokemon chasers out of the yard. They look like they're high and seeing purple dinosaurs.

Reactions: PerformanceMcOil

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
They need to make a where's Ovi book. Although some of the pictures probably won't do it justice, need the audio of him singing we are the champions. By now you'd think he'd actually know the words though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad